The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 06:22:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Fifth Doctor Audio - Cobwebs

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifth Doctor Audio - Cobwebs  (Read 274 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:37:43 pm »

In search of a cure for a sickness that’s so far claimed six billion lives, scientist Nyssa arrives at an abandoned gene-tech facility on the toxic planet Helheim. ‘Hellhole’, more like.

Nyssa’s not alone. The TARDIS has also been drawn to the Helheim base – and in its cobweb-coated corridors, she soon runs into the Doctor, Tegan and Turlough, her travelling companions of half a century past. But who, or what, has engineered this strange reunion? The Black Guardian, perhaps?
The answer’s here, in the dark. With the Cractids. In the cobwebs.

You may or may not know that this story aired over 4 days on Radio 4 Extra last week. I stumbled across this info by accident & decided to make it my first foray into the audios - 1. because it was DW & 2. because it saved me from the repeated daily torment of Home & Away! I'm not going to try to do a PP or VA style review here, because I have nothing to make comparisons to say whether it's bad or good so I just thought I'd share a few of my thoughts ...

I have to say I enjoyed it. The story was interesting - I found the pacing good & the placement of the daily cliffhangers left me wanting to tune in the next day to find out what happened next. I loved the way that they managed to convey the atmosphere of the facility - as a newbie I wasn't sure how they would manage to do it but I was impressed. I could really picture what was going on. Peter Davison was brilliant, but then I would have expected no less - I have to say, although I've only seen one of his actual TV stories, 2 if you count Time Crash, I've always liked PD in whatever I've seen him so I know & love that voice.

The only thing that grated on me a bit was Tegan - I know nothing about her so I don't what she's like at all in the show, but she was very negative in this story. That said I'm thinking, from The Doctor's reaction to her occasionally, that maybe the listener was possibly meant to feel like that about her. There were a few times when I wanted to shout 'shut up!' at her - maybe that's just me though  Undecided

That small gripe aside this story has sparked my interest in the audios so I will be seeking out more - and happily R4 Extra have moved on to another one, 'The Whispering Forest,' so I'm still H&A free for a while!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:47:51 pm »

Tegan never stops moaning. She was the same in the serials and she always had a face like thunder. You get used to it. She just always seemed miserable about everything. I've heard, though obviously it could all be fabricated, that she is pretty much the same in real life too.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:59:55 pm »

Oh dear, I hope I get used to it quickly then!
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 03:35:03 pm »

I have this (got it before Christmas) but I still havent listened to it yet. Didnt realise it was going to be on the radio. I will have to get myself in gear and dig it out
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:40:40 pm »

No I didn't know til a few hours before the broadcast when DWM tweeted about it. I popped a note on here somewhere, but it was probably too late for most people to see it. I'm surprised they didn't mention it in DWM.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 03:42:38 pm »

It might have been a late decision. Or perhaps they didnt want to advertise it too much in case it deterred people from actually purchasing it. Though if they promoted it well and more people tuned in they would perhaps be more inclined to dip their toe in further
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 03:47:16 pm »

Well I know that's worked for me.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »

There are some really, really awesome ones. You should check out some of PPs reviews. The I, Davros audios are amazing!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 04:56:07 pm »

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Its a good story. Its good to see some new posters in this section too. Let's hope you get hooked Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 01:39:18 pm »

My friend for some reason ended up with two copies of both this and the Whispering Forest so he gave them to me and wow I'm impressed.

Some people may know about my Nyssa love, but I'm loving this audio... I've come across Tegan quite a lot before but is it just me or is she so much more annoying in this audio than she is in the actual TV stories?

I've listened to a few audios too, my favourite being 'Primeval' but I guess this is up there too, I could definitely visualise everything that was going on especially with Tegan's memories, but it was sooo nice to have Nyssa back in an adventure after she'd left!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: