The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 03:35:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Fifth Doctor Audio - The Cradle of the Snake

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fifth Doctor Audio - The Cradle of the Snake  (Read 211 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: June 04, 2011, 01:59:14 pm »

"The Mara is in all of us, deep in our minds. In our darkest thoughts, that’s where it started. Some people call it a demon, but that’s too simple. It’s about temptation."

Tegan's nightmares have returned. Seeking to banish the snake-like Mara from his companion's psyche, the Doctor sets course for Manussa, the creature's point of origin. But the TARDIS arrives instead in the heyday of the Manussan Empire, where infotainment impresario Rick ausGarten is preparing to turn dreams into reality.

The sun is setting on the Manussan Empire… and it's all the Doctor's fault.

This audio follows on from exactly where The Whispering Forest left off. While I avoided mentioning the Mara in my brief mention of the cliffhanger at the end of that audio it seems pointless to do so here as the snake in the title & in the cover art are a bit of a give away. Plus it's mentioned in the synopsis.

First thing to mention is that I approached this one with a bit of trepidation as I haven't seen either Kinda or Snakedance - I wondered if I would have a clue what was going on. And I have to admit initially my fears did appear to be confirmed. I needn't have worried though because they manage to bring the listener up to speed by having the other characters explain everything to Turlough - quite clever really as it reminds people who have seen those stories what happened in them & provides all the relevant info for those who haven't, and it's done in such a way that it doesn't treat either group like idiots - all just part of the story.

I don't want to give too much away, but it must be said Peter Davison is on truly excellent form in this audio - he needed to be with what is asked of him & he doesn't disappoint. The story is well put together & moves along at a nice pace. You even get a some dream sequences, at least one of which is slightly surreal! The support cast are, on the whole, very good & the ambient sound really adds to the story, esp the snake itself. I'll even forgive Tegan for being a Ms Grumpy Face again in this story - she definitely has good reason this time around.

My only real gripe (and it's a small one) would be the character of Yoanna Rayluss who is a bit of jobsworth & doesn't seem to understand that sometimes things cannot be done by the book. Again this is deliberate but it doesn't stop her being any less annoying, to me at least - I guess there has to be one in every audio (or even story!)

I'm a bit gutted that this marked the end of the audios on Radio 4 Extra for now - I'd got quite used to listening to them every day. I will now be seeking out more. Oh & making an effort to watch Kinda & Snakedance sometime in the near future  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 12:11:26 pm »

This for me is better than Snakedance, but not quite as good as Kinda. That said though, its a great story and a good continuation of the Mara's story. Often, the audios have a way of expanding on and making sort of sequals to many of the televised stories and they are always benefited from the fact that they don't need the budget of the show to make them come to life. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't but this is a pretty decent effort and the cast are all on form, particularly, as you say, Peter Davison
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:52:30 pm »

I heard a little bit of this on the radio (I didnt actually know it was going to come on) but I knocked it off because I didnt have a clue what was going on. It sounded ok, but I was totally lost
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:31 am »

I'm not hugely keen on this story to be honest. There are far worse ones out there but I think they were just rehashing the same old stuff with this
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:48:38 am »

I sort of agree with Exterminate but not to the same extent! I think the Mara had its moments and was an interesting idea, and I loved the performance of the cast but I think there are better Davison stories out there. Great Review from PRG Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:52 pm »

The concept behind the Mara was brilliant, and in the audios, when you don't have to see the CGI, it often works brilliantly, but this one for me was a bit of a clunker. It didn't really bring anything new to the concept and the story itself is a lot weaker than most of Davisons other audios
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: