The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 03:24:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eighth Doctor Audio - Vengeance Of Morbius

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eighth Doctor Audio - Vengeance Of Morbius  (Read 180 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »

Time to round out Series Two of the new EDA's by bringing you Vengeance of Morbius, part two of the two part finale that began with Sisters Of The Flame, the review of which can be found HERE.

The richest man in the galaxy has just bought a backwards planet with no obvious mineral wealth in the outer reaches of the universe. An obscure mystical sect has been revived after centuries of neglect. A new race of aliens are hunting for prey. Why?

As the Doctor and Lucie attempt to discover the answer, it becomes clear that someone is attempting to resurrect the past - and they need a Time Lord to help them achieve it.

So What's Good With It? I think the most obvious thing to open with is the fact that we get the long awaited and overdue return of Morbius, which is most definately a good thing. There is enough continuity throughout the story to keep the older fans happy while at the same time being light enough so that newer fans don't get lost in the plot. I always bang on about how good Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith are in these audios, but it's never truer than in this story. They really go at it and put in excellent performances, both with each other and seperately. There are two great cliffhangers which at the time were made worse, though exciting, as a third season had not yet been announced.

But What's Wrong With It? Despite being the second half of a two parter, I found this story felt quite distant. The problem here though is that while Sisters of the Flame could have worked well as a stand alone story with enough material to justify a second part, this one doesn't work as well and felt a bit of a let down after what was a particularly good first half. SOTF set up some brilliant characters that just went to waste when it came to finishing the story off in this audio, which I think is partly due to the length. Everything about this story felt packed in and there just wasn't enough time to let the story breathe and develop as it should have. While the return of Morbius is appreciated and a great hark back to the classics, unfortunately his character here feels a bit one dimensional and not nearly fleshed out enough. You can tell from the script that he has the potential to be an amazing villian, but his potential is unfortunately not realised here. It's a shame, but after what has been a pretty strong run, the series ends, for me at least, on a bit of a damp note.

Final Verdict: Lots of great ideas that don't really mesh and the ones that do don't have the time to develop properly.

Vengeance Of Morbius gets 2/5 TARDIS's

Extra Info: 60 minutes long on 1 disc with bonus features. Some of the extras here, including interviews and insights, are actually pretty great and go a way to make up for the poor story. You can get it on Amazon for £9.89
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »

A brilliant review of a very un-brilliant story. I totally agree with PP - this is one of those stories that probably sounded great when being pitched but just didn't quite come off right. It was also oddly expensive - I think, if you are looking for Eighth Doctor Audios then there are probably better ones out there.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:39:55 pm »

I actually liked this. I think I would have given it a four. I know it wasn't perfect and it could have done with at least another 20-30 minutes to let everything play out at a better pace, but I think you can see the bones of the story and it was a good one. I'd agree that they could have done more with Morbius but I still liked what they did with character (or at least what you could tell they were trying to do with him).
Report Spam   Logged
Scott
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

View Profile
One year Anniversary Poll Starter Level 4
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:02:38 pm »

The story that comes before this one was great, but this really didn't live up to it. I though this was a very poor ending to the second series, though for me the second series was a bit hit and miss anyway. When it was good it was excellent, but stories like Max Warp were just dreadful
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 03:55:44 am »

I thought it was ok, but nothing special. I probably would have given it 3/5. It was nowhere near as good as SOTF though.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: