The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:15:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eighth Doctor Audio: Horror Of Glam Rock

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eighth Doctor Audio: Horror Of Glam Rock  (Read 318 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »

I havent listened to many audio adventures, but I listened to this because it was one of the winners in the Doctor Who Awards on here and features Sheridan Smith who I think is brilliant in everything.

First off, there is a cast in this that nobody can turn their noses up. As well as Mcgann and Smith, there are also turns by Bernard Cribbins who played Wilf in the series, Una Stubbs who has been in everything, Claire Buckfield (2.4 Children) and Steven Gately (Boyzone). The story is really exciting and set in the 1970's, which is a favourite era of mine. It has a fast and adventurous pace and is quite eerie in places. The acting is also brilliant. The downsides for me are that got a little silly in places and is was quite short at a little over 45 minutes. Also, the villain seems to be a recurring one, and I have no idea what their agenda is or anything previous that relates to them. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

The other thread about audios had a plot thing in it, so here is the plot Smiley

Attempting to take new companion Lucie Miller back home to Blackpool in 2006, the two travellers arrive instead at a service station on the M62 motorway during a blizzard in 1974. In the car park, they find the mauled body of a glam rock musician. The Doctor and Lucie encounter a would-be pop group, The Tomorrow Twins, and their manager – and brutal bear-like monsters, which besiege the establishment. The controllers of the monsters have been communicating with Tommy Tomorrow through his stylophone, a compact electronic piano-like musical instrument, as they plan to use him as a bridgehead to Earth. The aliens, calling themselves The Only Ones in pretence of being the only life besides that on Earth, intend to use humans, most notably the fans of the band, rather like the service station on the M62 – as a place to stop off for a meal before going on their way. They are eventually trapped in Lucie's MP3 player, as the Doctor builds a machine that uses the aliens' sonics-based technology against them, transferring The Only Ones back into sound waves. As the Doctor and Lucie leave, The Headhunter arrives, only to find that Lucie has escaped her again...
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »

Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller is a revelation and I do like this audio, but you should stick with this pairing as the ones that come later are far superior. Her final serial, Death In Blackpool is brilliant, but the ones in between are all great. I will get around to posting about them all at some point no doubt Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:21:56 am »

I've listened to this and although it is ok, as Peri-Peri said, there are loads that are better.
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:12:41 pm »

I 'stumbled accross a download of this today. Brilliant. Not at all what I expected it to be, but I really enjoyed it. Might seek out some others now
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:47:17 pm »

If you seek out the others, stick with this pairing. They just get better and better as they go on. Some of the later ones are some of the best that I have listened too
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 12:35:14 pm »

I agree. The Doctor and Lucie work so well together and the later adventures are brilliant. I found a link to listen to then online the other say so I will dig that out and post it in here somewhere
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:30:17 pm »

I really enjoyed Blood Of The Daleks and I so I have just ordered this to listen to. Hopefully I should have it in a few days. The link the VampyrosAdric put up in the other thread said this is the next one. That is right, right?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 05:03:12 pm »

This arrived this morning so I shall give it a listen later and let you know my thoughts Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »

Have you listened yet? I love this story. Its not the best of the series, but its a brilliant effort.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: