The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 09:30:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eighth Doctor Audio: Phobos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eighth Doctor Audio: Phobos  (Read 197 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:00:01 pm »

Continuing on with my reviews of the first season of the New EDA's, I bring you Phobos. This is the fourth serial of sixth overall and follows on from Immortal Beloved which I reviewed yesterday. Here is the synopsis:

The TARDIS lands on Phobos, moon of Mars - where extreme sports nuts of the future indulge their passion for gravity-boarding and wormhole-jumping. But there's something lurking in the shadows, something infinitely old and infinitely dangerous. It's not for nothing that 'Phobos' is the ancient word for 'fear'...

The Doctor and Lucie turn up on an icy moon of Mars which has become popular with sports fanatics who use a nearby worm hole for bunjee jumping. Its all very extreme I assure you. The Doctor and Lucie get chatting to a man named Kai who tells them tales of monsters who lurk on the surface, but others on the moon think he is barmy and pay him no real attention. Later on the monsters start attacking people but it turns out they are just robots. The story goes on a bit and it turns out there is a being in the wormhole who feeds on the adrenaline that the extremem sporters feel but is weakened and hurt by real pain and fear. It is revealed that Kai created the robots to bring fear to the 'tourists' in order to kill the being. The Doctor saves the day by going into the wormhole and killing it with all his fears and he and Lucie leave.

I have to admit that although this story has its good points it is on the whole a weaker story and my least favourite of the first series if EDAs. The cast, as always, are on fine form with turns from Nerys Hughes who played Rhys' mum on Torchwood, Timothy West and John Schwab who played Bywater in 'Dalek'. The story could have been so much more but it all kind of felt like filler. Like they needed one extra story for the series and so they threw this one in. The scene with The Headhunter (who I keep forgetting to mention is a recurring villain in these things) was probably the most interesting part of it. This had its good points but could have been so much more. It is just one part at 50 minutes long.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:59 pm »

Oh. I saw the title of this, and thought you were starting a "Judoon" thread Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

Another great review Peri. Ive heard this one and I thought it was alright. Not a lot going on but a typical mid season type story.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:45:23 pm »

Thank you. I shall post another tomorrow. It's good if you can get things out of all the audios. One persons favourite is another resins most hated. I did love this one but I can see why people like it
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:19:20 pm »

Peri, a really great review Smiley I've not heard this one but you have titivated my curiosity sufficiently - might be a download job from the BF site Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:34:29 pm »

Cheers Chris. Glad I'm inspiring you to listen. I shall post another tonight Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: