The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 06:20:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Third Doctor DVD Box Set - Mannequin Mania

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Third Doctor DVD Box Set - Mannequin Mania  (Read 772 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: January 15, 2011, 12:39:03 pm »

A double release featuring an updated version of Jon Pertwee's first story re-released alongside the debut story of Roger Delgado as The Master and Katy Manning as Jo Grant

Spearhead from Space

The TARDIS arrives on Earth in the middle of a meteorite shower and the Doctor is found by UNIT troops and taken to a nearby hospital. Originally shown in 1970 the story, written by Robert Holmes, introduces the Autons as well as the third Doctor. Alongside Jon Pertwee it stars Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Caroline John as Liz Shaw, Hugh Burden as Channing, John Woodnutt as Hibbert and Hamilton Dyce as Major General Scobie

Extras include

•Regenerations: Documentary
•UNIT Recruitment film
•Down to Earth: Documentary
•New Commentary

Terror of the Autons

This 1971 story introduces The Master as who arrives on Earth at a circus run by a man named Rossini and steals a dormant Nestene energy unit from a museum. Written by Robert Holmes the story introduces Jo Grant played by Katy Manning as The Doctor's new companion. Also featuring Nicholas Courtney as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart, Richard Franklin as Mike Yates, John Levene as Sergeant Benton, Harry Towb as McDermott, Michael Wisher as Rex Farrel and Roger Delgado as The Master.

Extras include

•Extra Footage
•Commentary
•Plastic Fantastic: Documentary
•The Doctor's Moriarty
•Life on Earth: Documentary
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »

Thanks so much - again Peri you are right on the money Smiley These look ball-bouncingly brilliant. Terror of the Autons is such a great story and I can't wait to see what the restoration team have done with it... Not to mention my beloved production notes Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:19:23 pm »

Both great story, but why do they make me buy one I already have to get Terror of the Autons?  Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:38 pm »

Both great story, but why do they make me buy one I already have to get Terror of the Autons?  Embarrassed

Couldn't agree more. It wouldnt be so bad if they also did a singular release so that you have the option to only purchase one or the other. I will probably get it and then stick Spearhead on Ebay or something.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:55:01 pm »

I really hate that you have to get both just to get the one you don't own already. I'm hoping that someone will be selling them individually on ebay.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »

Perhaps if you need a good reason for getting a second copy of Spearhead From Space, then this could be it.

It has been confirmed that the upcoming DVD re-release of the Third Doctor's first story, Spearhead from Space, will include the previously missing Fleetwood Mac track, Oh Well Part One

The music was present on the original transmission during the scenes of the dolls being manufactured at Auto Plastics but had to be removed from all other broadcasts and releases because of issues with the rights
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »

It's a great track.  Hm, tempting.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 08:28:22 pm »

I didnt even know there was supposed to be a track on that scene
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:16 pm »

The Extras have been announced.

Spearhead From Space: Special Edition
- Two Commentaries – One with actors Caroline John and Nicholas Courtney and another with producer Derrick Sherwin and script editor Terrance Dicks.
- Down to Earth – Cast and crew look back at the making of this story and how a strike at the BBC studios inadvertently created the only classic series story to be made entirely on film. With actor Jon Pertwee, producers Derrick Sherwin and Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, costume designer Christine Rawlins and assistant script editor (and inadvertent Auton actor) Robin Squire. Narrated by Carl Kennedy.
- Regenerations - From Black and White to Colour – ‘Spearhead from Space’ marked not only the arrival of a new Doctor but also the transition from black and white to colour. This documentary looks at the challenges faced by programme makers during this period. With actors Frazer Hines and Wendy Padbury, producer Derrick Sherwin, script editor Terrance Dicks, directors Timothy Combe, Christopher Barry and Michael Ferguson, designer Roger Cheveley and graphic designer Bernard Lodge. UNIT Recruitment Film (dur. 4’ 48”) – a spoof army recruitment film put together for BBC transmission during Doctor Who’s 30th anniversary celebrations in 1993.
- Trailers – two trailers for the 1999 BBC2 transmission of the story and for ‘Doctor Who Night’from the same year.
- Photo Gallery - production, design and publicity photos from the story.
- Coming Soon - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format.

Terror Of The Autons
- Commentary - With actors Katy Manning and Nicolas Courtney, producer Barry Letts.
- Life on Earth – In this documentary, cast and crew look back at the making of the story and the differences in the way Doctor Who was made in the seventies compared to now. With actors Jon Pertwee, Katy Manning and Richard Franklin, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks and new series producer Phil Collinson.
- The Doctor’s Moriarty– with the introduction of the Master, the Doctor now had his very own Moriarty, who would be the dark figure behind every story in season eight, and many more beyond that. This featurette discusses the enduring appeal of the character. With actor Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts, script editors Terrance Dicks and Christopher H Bidmead and writers Robert Shearman and Joe Lidster.
- Plastic Fantastic – how did the writers of Doctor Who and other programmes take something as everyday as plastic and turn it against us? With writers Francesca Gavin, Robert Shearman and new series designer Matthew Savage.
- Photo Gallery - production, design and publicity photos from the story.
- Coming Soon - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release.
- Radio Times Listings and promotional material for Sugar Smacks and Nestle products in Adobe PDF format.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

Release of this has been brought forward by a month and will now be available from May 9th. BBC Shop are offering this box set for £20.99 if you pre-order. Upwards of £30 if you don't
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »

This is now available. Has anyone purchased it? I'm still in two minds about paying £30 when I already have one of them
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:56:58 pm »

This is now available. Has anyone purchased it? I'm still in two minds about paying £30 when I already have one of them

I'm definitely not purchasing just yet. £30 is outrageous for a DVD box set one of which we already have. I absolutely love the way 2Entertain release the Classic series but this is seriously taking the p*** (i did that myself lol) out of us fans who purchased the DVDs in good faith all those years ago.

The price will come down and I will consider investing because I would like Terror of the Autons. But at £30 I just can't justify that type of money.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:03 pm »

They're selling it for £17.93 on a certain site named after a river.  It's on my wish list, but I can't afford it at present.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »

I thought I would add this in here rather than start a new thread as it is sort of related. In today's DWM it has been announced that Spearhead From Space is getting a third re-release, this time on BluRay. It's likely to be the only one though because it was the only classic filmed on 16mm film. Well, the only one to exist fully, anyway. It will include a 45 minute documentary on Job Pertwee called 'A Dandy and a Clown'.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:55 pm »

The BluRay edition of Spearhead from Space is now set for June.
Report Spam   Logged

Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 02:42:57 pm »

I don't really see the point. I know it was made on film and so would work well on BR, but having one story out of 160 seems a bit pointless.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: