The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 08:08:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Minions Of Martha

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minions Of Martha  (Read 1043 times)
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« on: September 02, 2010, 11:10:23 am »

I proclaim myself the first Smiley

I love this woman. She gets so much stick and I feel it is so undeserved. After Rose she had big boots to fill and I feel like RTD missed a trick with how he wrote her character. For the first 6 episodes he wrote her like she was a stalking clingon, with the Doctor never fully accepting her in the team. Because of this, I feel like the audience never did either. By the time the Doctor appreciated her presence I feel it was too late for many fans.

I hated the unrequited love thing, but I loved how strong she was to leave the Tardis and make a go of things on her own. As she progressed through Torchwood and later appearances in DW, her character grew and became stronger and she was a force to be reckoned with. Its such a shame she had a rough deal in the beginning, but it was more than made up for in the end. Such a great character, and one I would love to see more of.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:54:48 am »

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I love Martha and hate that she got such a rough gig. When I did a top ten companions article on the site and included Martha I got a lot of stick, but her story as a whole is a great one I think. I will be Minion #2 Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:08 pm »

I'll be another one! I've noticed one of the common complaints about Martha was "she needs to stop pining for the Doctor and move on" - ignoring how her character arc was about her doing just that. (On the subject of pining, Ten was doing a lot of that for Rose but that's swept under the carpet.)

Martha did what is possibly my favourite thing of the new series - fooled the Master for a year and laughed in his face. Then left by choice, which is pretty rare these days.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:22:03 pm »

Yea im with you on every single point you made. She should have been a lot more respected than she was, but such is life I guess
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

BlueRose

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:26:21 pm »

Most underrated, "got the short end of the stick writing-wise" char EVER.

She was brilliant, going to med school...and all they could write for her was her whining over the Doctor. D:

So much potential, flushed down the drain. Why even bother making her into a medical school student? She could've been flipping burgers and not much would've changed, plot-wise.

*sighs*

*really liked Martha too*
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 07:30:33 pm »

I for one would have loved to have seen the local Burger King transported to the moon Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:20:00 pm »

Yup you can add me to the list too, harshly treated by some sections of fandom, written in to a corner.  Great potential wasted and too much stick is given to Freema who was a great ambasador for the show.

Grin

SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PAIRED OFF WITH MICKEY

the end
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »

Voice of Nightinggale!

Love her  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 10:05:40 pm »

Agree with all of your comments...
Underrated, underused... strong, intelligent, beautiful...

I absolutely adore Martha... she couldn't help but fall in love with the Doctor (he did give her mixed signals) but she overcame that & decided to remove herself from the situation.
She had the strenght to fight alone without the Doctor holding her hand...

Love, love, love her!
Report Spam   Logged
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »

Most underrated, "got the short end of the stick writing-wise" char EVER.

She was brilliant, going to med school...and all they could write for her was her whining over the Doctor. D:

So much potential, flushed down the drain. Why even bother making her into a medical school student? She could've been flipping burgers and not much would've changed, plot-wise.

*sighs*

*really liked Martha too*
My thoughts exactly!  Cheesy  Liked her better than I like Amy actually.  Martha should have kicked the Doctor's arse to the end of the universe and back for what he put her through in the "Family of Blood" two-parter.  Playing maid and babysitter while the Doctor gallivants around playing headmaster and chasing after whats-her-name - I would've gone back to the TARDIS and activated the emergency program and left him there!  Grin 

SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN PAIRED OFF WITH MICKEY
Yeah, what was up with that anyway?  What happened to the guy she was engaged to?  They seem to have forgotten all about that.
Report Spam   Logged
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »

Tom, though I can understand why it didn't last. She remembered him doing all kinds of things that, from his point of view, never happened. Not exactly the basis for a healthy relationship.

As for Mickey, it just seemed too sudden. I just wish there'd been at least some hint of them getting closer before rather than just pulling it out of nowhere.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 10:23:56 am »

I love Martha and I think she is totally underated by the fans. She had a great arc and despite the unrequited love story she showed her strength and independance by leaving the Doctor at the end of series 3. Some of her stories are the best of the new series and her character kept growing throughout her appearances in later series and Torchwood. I didnt love that she married Mickey, but as a character she rocks and is easily the best companion of the revival (until River becomes official) Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 10:45:10 am »

I love Martha too and also hate the way Rusty had to make her romantically interested in the Doctor.  I've got The Story of Martha to read, it's the novel that covers her year of travelling the world telling everyone about the Doctor.  Can't wait to get to it, I think most people who dislike her forget that she spent this terrible year spreading the word all by herself.  The girls got guts to be sure Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

I love Martha too and also hate the way Rusty had to make her romantically interested in the Doctor.  I've got The Story of Martha to read, it's the novel that covers her year of travelling the world telling everyone about the Doctor.  Can't wait to get to it, I think most people who dislike her forget that she spent this terrible year spreading the word all by herself.  The girls got guts to be sure Cheesy

You tell 'em!

I love my Martha.
Report Spam   Logged

What a bunch of a-holes.
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 06:03:03 pm »

I love Martha. She got such a rough ride but I think she is far better than Rose and Amy.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 10:45:45 am »

It really is nice to see the love for her. I know thats what this thread is about, but still. When she was on screen for series 3, and for a long while afterwards, some of the things said about both the character and the actress were completely uncalled for. I think so many people have trouble seperating the character from the person playing her and I remember reading an interview where Freema had said some of the things said about her had really hurt her feelings. Then of course you have the other side of spectrum with certain people pulling the race card out on RTD saying he didnt like her because she was black or whatever other nonsense people were making up.
Report Spam   Logged

Digallifreya
Telly Addict
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Ten!
Favourite Companion: Martha

Doctor Who RPer & incurable romantic, animal lover

View Profile WWW
Level 3 Webmaster Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 11:44:50 am »

What can I say? Just consider me a Martha minion, I love her, she's lovely, vulnerable but still smart & gutsy as hell without being all 'in your face' or show off.

She did whatever was required of her without complaining, always dignified.
She, of course couldn't help falling in love with such a wonderful & gorgeous man, who could blame her for that? She's only human.

She is my favourite companion of Ten's era & only just about at the same level than Donna in my affections...

Love, love, love her so much....
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 10:38:43 pm »

Big YAY for Martha from me. I finally got around to starting series 3 and though I have only done 3 episodes so far I already totally love her. I think she is a great character and far better than Rose ended up being in series 2. I know it could change and she may turn into a nightmare or something, but so far I think she is great. As I said elsewhere, I dont particularly like the way the Doctor is treating her though. Its not very fair to keep reminding her, or the audience, that she isnt Rose.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:48 pm »

Big YAY for Martha from me. I finally got around to starting series 3 and though I have only done 3 episodes so far I already totally love her. I think she is a great character and far better than Rose ended up being in series 2. I know it could change and she may turn into a nightmare or something, but so far I think she is great. As I said elsewhere, I dont particularly like the way the Doctor is treating her though. Its not very fair to keep reminding her, or the audience, that she isnt Rose.

Agreed. She got a bum deal.

I love my Martha  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

What a bunch of a-holes.
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 11:05:15 pm »

Its nice to read that people have warmed to her in hindsight even if she wasnt that popular at the time
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: