The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 01:32:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Battlefield - The Seventh Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battlefield - The Seventh Doctor  (Read 391 times)
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: January 16, 2011, 12:37:28 am »

"Exotic alien swords are easy to come by... Aces are rare."

First Transmitted

1 - 06/09/1989 19:35
2 - 13/09/1989 19:35
3 - 20/09/1989 19:35
4 - 27/09/1989 19:35

The Doctor and Ace face knights in armour from another dimension, and Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart returns from retirement to save the world one last time.

I watched this over the weekend, so put together this thread to discuss/review this Seventh Doctor adventure.

As silly as some aspects of Battlefield are, I do love the Merlin mythology they weave in, and the nods to the time of the Third Doctor - Liz Shaw's UNIT pass, Doris as The Brigadier's wife, Bessie. (not to mention Jean Marsh!)
Ace & The Brig interact well, and the new Brig does as well as she can, as does Ancelyn.
This is also the story with the notorious stunt that went wrong - watch closely to spot the cracked glass on the tank when Sophie Alred is trying to escape.

A general point regarding the difference between Classic & Nu Who (series 5 mainly) - why is it that Classic Who could have proper gunshots & actual helicopters, but the new series' cheats with spotlights on cherrypickers & ridiculous (I mean you, series 5!) "cable through the sleeve" 10p pyro effects?
Surely putting together the dodgy pyro must be more time consuming (and therefore more expensive) to do, given the small number of times we get gunfire?
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:15:29 am »

I can't answer your question, but this is a great story - it would be worth it purely for the Brig, but we also have Jean Marsh overacting having fun with her part, and the as-yet-unresolved issue of when and how the Doctor is Merlin.  A few of the supporting cast are less convincing, but who cares?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:34 am »

Its all about the violence. Kids today have to be sheltered from absolutely everything in case shows like Doctor Who turn them into crazed killers. Its all very PC.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:29 am »

Its all about the violence. Kids today have to be sheltered from absolutely everything in case shows like Doctor Who turn them into crazed killers. Its all very PC.

Ain't that the truth.
Just look back at children's TV when we were growing up - The Box of Delights, Children of Green Knowe - these days it's all just pc diluted nonsense.

Just finished viewing Battlefield & I always laugh when I see how the editor left in shots of the cracked glass when Sophie gets legitimately trapped doing the drowning stunt!

I wonder, did the Doctor-is-Merlin thing ever get addressed in novel/Big Finish form?
Be interesting if they picked it up in Nu Who, although it wouldn't work with 11 IMO as he's too fresh faced.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:41 pm »

In terms of audios, I am pretty sure that it was never adressed. Not sure about the novels though.

I always love the Liz Shaw reference in Battlefield. I think it is a lovely nod to the past
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:41:06 pm »

I wonder, did the Doctor-is-Merlin thing ever get addressed in novel/Big Finish form?
Be interesting if they picked it up in Nu Who, although it wouldn't work with 11 IMO as he's too fresh faced.

He's still older than Colin Morgan, though Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 02:29:37 am »

Jean Marsh is deliciously camp as Morgaine in this and it was a brilliant return to DW for her. The Brig is also amazing throughout. The little nod to Liz always makes me smile. Love Liz Smiley

This isn't one of the best stories out there, but it is definately one of the highlights of the era
Report Spam   Logged
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:38 am »

I love this story so much- it's the second one of 7's I ever saw. It caught my interest for the Merlin mythology- I'm a huge sucker for the mysterious Doctor, Time's Champion. McCoy pretty much embodies the word "mysterious" so he's my guy.

Now that I've seen all of classic it only makes the references all the more delightful. 'We've even got gold bullets for you know what.' I understand now!

Sure I facepalm at the dramatic medieval acting by Morgane and Mordred (it's the medieval setting that gets me), but I love the wit of this story.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: