The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:06:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Classic Novels: The Terror of the Autons

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic Novels: The Terror of the Autons  (Read 432 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 16, 2011, 05:51:20 pm »

There are times in a person's life when things just go horribly wrong. Not serious illness wrong or the death of someone close wrong, but just rubbish and depressing. You have a massive amount of work and just keep getting more loaded on you, your partner informs you that they have been seeing someone else as, actually, you are rubbish in bed and you should start looking for alternative accommodation, Asda decide to stop offering 'Extra Special Madras Sauce' despite knowing that it is your favourite, you get a stalker who is neither good looking nor rich but who threatens to ruin your life, you have a brilliant rear wheel drive BMW that simply won't function in the snow and your study roof starts to leak costing you £1100.

It is for these occasions that Terrance Dicks novel of Terror of the Autons exists.

Here is the relevant bumpf from the back of the box...

The evil Master leered at the Doctor, and triumphantly pointed out of the cabin window. The many-tentacled Nestene monster - spearhead of the second Auton invasion of Earth - crouched beside the radio tower! Part crab, part spider, part octopus, its single huge eye blazed with alien intelligence and deadly hatred...Can the Doctor outwit his rival Time Lord, the Master, and save the Earth from the Nestene horror? Geoffrey Beevers, who played an incarnation of the Master in the classic BBC TV "Doctor Who" series, reads Terrance Dicks' complete and unabridged novelisation, first published by Target Books in 1975.

It has no amazing plot twists, the characterisations are serviceable but not exceptional. It is a typical Dicks novelisation. And it is utterly magical. This is one of my all time favourite stories and indeed it is such a strong story that it doesn't need anything fancy doing with it. The silky voice of Geoffrey Beevers takes you effortless from chapter to chapter, the pacing and structure of the story balancing perfectly with each other. This is Terrance Dicks in excelsis - a brilliant story, beautifully told by a talented story teller.

Unlike certain other titles this is not available in any form of bargain (£12 is the cheapest i've found it for). So if you are really depressed, your other half is about to run off with a chartered surveyor and you are looking at having to give over 3/4 of your salary for maintenance and contemplate life in a one bed room flat above a nuclear test site in the middle of the inner city instead of a lovely detached bungalow in a respectable area, then it is a touch pricey. However, if you can't wait for the Mannequin Box Set or you prefer the more intimate medium of a talking book then this is the real deal. So go on friend, treat yourself, cheer yourself up - after all thats happened, you deserve it! And its only the price of a chinese set meal for two Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »

I love Auton stories and if it can put a rosy tint on your life when things get that bad then I would say £12 is a very sound investment. And that's coming from me! You all know how tightfisted I am Tongue

Peri reviewed an Auton story last night that has also made me want to delve deeper with all the audio stuff. Signing up to this forum was quite an expensive move
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:17:49 pm »

I cannot overstate the therapeutic value of The Terror of the Autons Audiobook. It is like a slow, sensual massage... Well, its not quite that good but it is a really good story Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:18 pm »

A brilliant story on the screen and a great audio working of it. I heard this back in the summer and was very happy with it. Its read absolutely beautifully and compliments what is an already pretty spot on story.

Not wanting to add to Chris' misery though, but I got this for £8.99 I think
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:25:00 pm »

Another story I absolutely love but not experience outside of the main show. My audio experience is seriously lacking but all these reviews are making me want to spend money.

I just checked and it is on Amazon, new, from £8.43 HERE
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: