The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 10:13:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Simm's Master

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Simm's Master  (Read 423 times)
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:46 am »

Numerous people have voiced their dislike for his portrayal so this is the place to elaborate on your reasons why  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:25:41 pm »

I will count myself on this list, though it was more the characterisation that Simm himself. He acted his socks off with what he was given, but I just didnt like that version of The Master. He was too insane and without the cunning menace that other incarnations had
Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 11:45:17 pm »

John Simm is an excellent actor, and would have made a fantastic new villain. Make him another Time Lord, and RTD wouldn't have even had to change the series III finale all that significantly. But his was a terrible incarnation of the Master. He had the mania and insanity, sure, but not the calm, suave, gentlemanly exterior that made him the beloved sociopath we'd come to know and love as portrayed by Delgado or (to a much lesser extent) Ainley. His incarnation simply felt incomplete, like he was suffering a psychotic break rather than being a sociopathic megalomaniac.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 01:33:30 am »

I didn't like his master in the 09 specials, cause it was so well, stupid and fanciful. I know, lets eat people and then become everyone.... Hmm - FAIL

But I did like his master in S3 because it was a refreshing change and I think after all those years being driven insane being captured in a watch and finally released and given a fresh young body, you will release a bit of your calm exterior... no?

Though I totally love classic masters and completely understand what you mean, but i still love John Simm (ignoring the fabled 09 specials which dont actually exist - different story) Wink
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 08:10:23 pm »

I didn't like his master in the 09 specials, cause it was so well, stupid and fanciful. I know, lets eat people and then become everyone.... Hmm - FAIL

I love Simms Master so I'm not saying a word but the above just made me..... smile. Wasn't it just Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:11:25 pm »

I absolutely hated Simm's Master, cheers for the thread Mandy D.

Part of the problem is this simple; Simm had to follow DEREK JACOBI!
He may only have truly been The Master for a few minutes, but by god he was phenomenal!

And he was so cool & calculating, so why did Simm play The Master as such a whackjob pantomime villain?
It didn't help either that Simm was dumped into the WORST finale ever with a dance soundtrack & the attack of Sgt Major Zero (not to mention Doctor Dobby) and then went peroxide & ate people, as mentioned above.

There's only one moment of Simm Master I like.
"Get out the way" from TEoT pt II.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueRose

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 07:52:41 pm »

There's only one moment of Simm Master I like.
"Get out the way" from TEoT pt II.

That was the only part I liked of him in the special, otherwise I utterly loved him in S3. I disagree on lack of demeanor--he definitely had it with a touch of mania, and I liked the juxaposition.

But the special? Extreme dislike.
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 07:14:29 pm »

Moffat has made a comment that many are taking as a hint of his return, and as soon as I read about it i let out a HUGE sigh.

"After his last appearance he'd been saying, 'I think now that David's left as the Doctor, I would have to leave the Master'. "He later pulled me aside and said, 'I didn't mean that! Look at me, I'm fit, I'm okay"

I don't know how that turned into 'Simm might be returning' but still, I hope it doesnt happen other than for a regeneration
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 01:14:19 am »

I agree, he should only come back for a regen. His incarnation is over now
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:19:03 am »

I'd quite like a regen halfway through a single episode, it jus never happens and would add a really nice plot twist with different timing to normal  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: