The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 02:14:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

A Master Reprise

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Master Reprise  (Read 1876 times)
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: January 18, 2011, 01:07:46 am »

To the best of my knowledge there has been no word on if/when The Master is to reappear other than speculation. And Simms himself has said his time in the part ended with 10. So who would you consider is a serious contender to take over the role and how do you imagine The Moff would bring about his resurgence into the show?
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:37 am »

Simm did say he would come back to regenerate though.

But I think Tim Curry would be great as an insane Master.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:14:39 am »

I'm bored of insane Master Tongue  Someone like Sean Pertwee or Iwan Rheon would be cool.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »

Iwan Rheon is too young I think, but in a few years could be brilliant. He does unhinged really well
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:21 pm »

Yeah, far too young for now bless him, but he's worth keeping an eye o for the future.
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 08:31:54 pm »

Is anyone going to have a stab at how he may be brought back?

(Love the idea of Sean Pertwee in the role btw. It's about time the man was in the show regardless imo Cool )
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »

Maybe while being teleported back to Gallifrey something went wrong because of him being skeletal or whatever that was, maybe something like when the TARDIS tries throwing Jack off in Utopia, and the Master ends up stuck in the Time Vortex and the Doctor needs to save him?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:18:06 pm »

I'm not sure they should bring the character back to be honest. I have only seen Jacobi/Simm and Delgado and while I thought Roger Delgado was absolutely brilliant in the two stories I saw, Simms master seemed to go horribly wrong. They should only bring him back if they can restore some of the greatness that the Master had throughout the Classics, otherwise they should leave the character be
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 11:53:45 pm »

Maybe while being teleported back to Gallifrey something went wrong because of him being skeletal or whatever that was, maybe something like when the TARDIS tries throwing Jack off in Utopia, and the Master ends up stuck in the Time Vortex and the Doctor needs to save him?

Useful foil the Time Vortex  Wink

I have to admit I was never convinced the copy we saw get zapped in with the Time Lords was actually the original. I had some bizzare notion that he got to Donna ( don't ask me how) and is being hidden again.

Lame I know but it was my way of getting Donna back too  Tongue

I'm not sure they should bring the character back to be honest. I have only seen Jacobi/Simm and Delgado and while I thought Roger Delgado was absolutely brilliant in the two stories I saw, Simms master seemed to go horribly wrong. They should only bring him back if they can restore some of the greatness that the Master had throughout the Classics, otherwise they should leave the character be

I think it's safe to say that he WILL be back - it's more a question of when and how. If it's Simms Master you have the problem with then I wouldn't be put off because aside from shooting a regeneration scene I doubt Simms will be that involved. And as we know The Moff has a very different take on things to RTD.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 12:20:45 am »

I still regard Delgado as the definitive Master, but I did enjoy Simm in the original trilogy, although I thought it got a bit silly in The End of Time.  I can imagine the classic Master, suddenly young and full of life, acting in that sort of way.

Anyway, he was better than Eric Roberts Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:47 am »

Elma Fudd would have made a better Master than Eric Roberts!!

Delgado is my all time favourite. I liked Simm but the characterisation, especially in TEOT, was awful
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 09:55:07 am »

I think it is probably inevitable that we'll see a reprise of the Master in some way. I think I agree with Mandy when she says that the Moff has a very different take on things to old Rusty (look at the iDaleks). Moff states that he likes things "..threatening to do evil" so I wonder (and this is pure speculation and guesswork) if we won't have the Master as some more shadowy figure rather than the dramatic, charismatic and energetic Simm (who was after all a mirror image of DT's Doctor). Perhaps an older actor to counterpoint Matt Smith's youthful aspect?

Personally speaking (and I shall call the therapist as soon as I'm done writing) I think the Master would work really well as a woman - I'm thinking very much of a Servelan in Blake's Seven style. This is an individual opinion and I am aware this goes against the grain for many - but watch Blake's Seven seasons 1 & 2 and I think you'd be able to see how it works.... Someone like Alex Kingston would play it really well....Wink
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 10:28:26 am »

Strangely enough I would have no problem with The Master being a woman ( and just writing that sounds oh so wrong Tongue ) BUT...and it is a big but....if that happened it would open the door for The Doctor being a woman and that for me is totally unacceptable.  Angry

Yes- I appreciate the contradictions of such a thought process  Grin Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 02:29:38 pm »

In terms of DW continuity/lore (for whatever that's worth) it does seem that Time Lords tend to stick with their original gender.  On the other hand, the absence of control from Gallifrey could have upset all kinds of things, and this could be one of them, so... it would be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »

I personally don't think that Time Lords can change their gender and would hate to see any character do so
Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 04:50:12 pm »

I definitely think an older actor needs to take on the part next. John Simm was an excellent villain, but he simply wasn't at all believable as the Master to anyone familiar with the Classic series. He portrayed the passion of the character very well, but had none of the calm genius about him that made him feel as threatening as Delgado's original Master. I have a long list of people I'd be fine with seeing in the role, including Bill Nighy, Sean Pertwee, Patrick Stewart, and Sir Ian McKellan (a pipe dream more than anything, but would still be amazing).

I think the best and least goofy way of bringing back the Master would be when they finally - and inevitably - restore the Time Lords and Gallifrey. We all know it's bound to happen eventually. The whole "Lonely God" thing has run its course, I think, and is now in danger of becoming tired. They need to either restore the war to the Time Vortex, remove it from history altogether, or have the Doctor dragged into it all over again. When they do that, the Master can be freed from the Time Lock and allowed to roam free once again.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 05:50:00 pm »

John Simm was an excellent villain, but he simply wasn't at all believable as the Master to anyone familiar with the Classic series.

I wouldnt really agree with this at all. The character evolves and changes with each regeneratation just like the Doctor. He was very different to the ones who came before, but then the same can be said of Matt Smith when you compare him to the First or Sixth Doctors. I think the story was what made the character seem worse rather than the actual characterisation or portrayal. I am familiar with the classic series and I would say he was believable as the Master, he was just given a stupid story.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:23 am »

I agree, although I don't think his original story was so stupid (just bits of it)

Ian McKellan a pipe-dream?  Maybe - but they did get Derek Jacobi.
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 12:02:53 pm »

I like the idea of an older, more refined, sinister Master, but the only Master I have seen is Simm.  What about Jeremy Irons?  He plays a good villain.
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 05:48:55 pm »

He does, but I think he might be a bit intense for the Master.  He needs to have a light, ironic touch.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: