The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:15:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Space and Time and Marriage

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Space and Time and Marriage  (Read 557 times)
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:14:12 pm »

So at the end of S5 we all know that Amy and Rory got married.  But what impact will their travels with the Doctor have on that marriage?

When Amy first decided to travel with the Doctor, she was seemingly running away from her wedding, I assume because she was uncertain.  But through her adventures, she came to realize that she didn't want to live in a world without her Rory.  So in this case, traveling with the Doctor made her certain about getting married and what she wanted.

But now that they are married, and both in the TARDIS, how will their relationship fare?  Marriage is work - hard work. Hard enough with the boring daily grind that we are all familiar with, never mind traveling through time and space and being in danger a lot.  I like to think that their shared experiences will help to bring them closer together and make their marriage stronger.  But there is always the chance that it will have the opposite effect and drive them apart.

Personally, I would love for the series to show Amy and Rory not in the perfect marriage, but a real one.  One that has problems/issues/disagreements but that they are able to work through and overcome.

So what do you think?  Will traveling with the Doctor make their marriage stronger or weaker?
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 01:24:13 pm »

While they are travelling I think there could be complications and petty arguments like any marriage or relationship, but in the long run I think it could really strengthen them as a couple. They have this experience, an experience shared by no other and one that spans over 2000 years and so something they can always use as a 'base' for them to relate to. They have literally overcome death and the end of existence. If they can survive that and still be together than they should have no problems getting through some disagreements
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:24:28 am »

I seriously SERIOUSLY hope that the fact that Amy and Rory are married has very little impact on what goes on and that we don't get to delve too deeply into the 'domestic'. Marital bickering and jealousies will get old very quickly.

At the end of the day they are travelling with The Doctor... in the Tardis...experiencing adventure/danger -hardly your everyday run of the mill marriage - hopefully they'll be too busy with both to dwell on themselves....and The Moff will see fit not to remind us too often Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »

I seriously SERIOUSLY hope that the fact that Amy and Rory are married has very little impact on what goes on and that we don't get to delve too deeply into the 'domestic'. Marital bickering and jealousies will get old very quickly.

At the end of the day they are travelling with The Doctor... in the Tardis...experiencing adventure/danger -hardly your everyday run of the mill marriage - hopefully they'll be too busy with both to dwell on themselves....and The Moff will see fit not to remind us too often Cheesy

When I said I wanted to see a marriage that had some problems/issues I wasn't talking about an argument about putting the toilet seat down.   Although I am curious about what the bathroom on the TARDIS looks like. Smiley

Clearly they don't/won't have a run of the mill marriage, as you say, and you're right - it shouldn't impact the stories.  I just hope that their relationship is depicted in a way that is realistic.
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:20:23 pm »

When I said I wanted to see a marriage that had some problems/issues I wasn't talking about an argument about putting the toilet seat down.   Although I am curious about what the bathroom on the TARDIS looks like. Smiley

Clearly they don't/won't have a run of the mill marriage, as you say, and you're right - it shouldn't impact the stories.  I just hope that their relationship is depicted in a way that is realistic.

Actually Amy having a go at Rory/the Doctor for leaving the loo seat up as a throw away line would be quite amusing Tongue

Oh and I agree - whatever elements of their relationship that get touched on in the show should be grounded in reality. Not dressed up with any idealistic notions. Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »

I don't think that them now being married will have any real affect on the stories. The dynamic will probably remain pretty much the same as it was last year when they were unmarried. I would hate for it all to turn into some sort of soap where we have stories littered with marital issues
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:10:12 pm »

My only real thought on this is that perhaps the Moff has married off these two for a story arc reason that we are yet unaware. The spoilers have so far hinted at 'Rory makes a tragic mistake' and 'the Doctor's true relationship with Amy is revealed.' I suspect the marriage will be fairly well tested and I wonder if this hasn't been deliberately set up for some reason (though I've no idea what we are missing here).
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:11 pm »

My only real thought on this is that perhaps the Moff has married off these two for a story arc reason that we are yet unaware. The spoilers have so far hinted at 'Rory makes a tragic mistake' and 'the Doctor's true relationship with Amy is revealed.' I suspect the marriage will be fairly well tested and I wonder if this hasn't been deliberately set up for some reason (though I've no idea what we are missing here).

Oooo - that's a thought.  Interesting Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 07:28:52 pm »

As much as I don't particularly want the show filled up with stories about marriage and whatnot, I would hate if the stuff mentioned above by VA meant that they ended up splitting up or something.
Report Spam   Logged

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:18 pm »

Have to say I agree with this VA. Marrying Amy and Rory off for the sake of it was never going to a great plot developer on its own. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 02:08:22 am »

I think that being in the TARDIS long term will be the end of the marriage and I think saving their marriage is probably the reason they will go. Rory is already exhibiting jealousy and paranoiia and it will only end up driving a wedge between them. He obviously has trust issues and while I think a married couple could travel successfully in the TARDIS, I don't think this one is strong enough to manage it
Report Spam   Logged
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:04:00 am »

Think it could go either way in each episode, so like one episode could bring them closer than ever and yet the next episode could weaken their bond and they could argue. I think the case is what Moff is wanting to happen with them and where he wants the relationship to go. I'm not married, yet, I haven't found my Rory (and I'm only 18 haha) but I know it won't be like disney and it will hard work so yeah I think Moff should show that being married is hard and there are troubles to overcome but if you love each other enough then you'll work at it
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:34:57 pm »

Just thought I'd give this thread a quick bump because I actually think the dynamic has worked quite well in the first four stories. Rory and Amy have become one of the finds of the season for me. I have absolutely loved Karen Gillan's performances and Rory is always watchable.

The standing joke that Rory is killed in every episode might well have a serious side to it that I can't believe the Moff has ignored. Imagine you are married to someone and you keep witnessing their death. That is going to have a huge psychological effect on you. Perhaps that is what the Moff is setting up?
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:15 am »

Interesting, though I hope that they still stay together so that they can wave at themselves in the Silurian eps Smiley hehehe
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:49:54 am »

Hmm Amy and Rory's marriage I just have a feeling that something is going to happen, and to me it seems clear that Rory is kinda uncomfortable with all the travelling and his marriage, but I guess its a comfort to him to know that Amy is happy travelling with the Doctor... But anything could happen I guess...
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 01:40:03 pm »

Well, we know from Amy's Choice, but I do think Rory has come along way, I think for sure he would be happier at home with Amy, safe from danger...

I do think nothing is as it seems, but for me, I'll be happy as long as nothing is at it seems and they are still in the silurian eps...
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: