The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 18, 2024, 12:40:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Torchwood and the Whoniverse

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Torchwood and the Whoniverse  (Read 473 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 20, 2011, 01:29:30 pm »

With word from RTD that Torchwood will contain very little reference to Doctor Who in the upcoming series, how important do you think it is that Torchwood remains in the Whoniverse? It will always have its roots there, but after series 3 the show really proved that it can stand on its own two feet and work seperatly away from the main show with very little mention, reference or cameo.

Do you think that the show should continue in this trend and step further out of Doctor Who's shadow, or do you think that it is important to keep those ties in place?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 02:39:26 pm »

I don't think it should be dependent on DW links, but I wouldn't want to see the connection completely cut.  That doesn't necessarily mean cameos, but while the Doctor and Torchwood are both in the business of saving Earth from alien invasions (assuming and hoping Torchwood will continue to be at least partly about that) it would make sense for there to be some kind of crossover.

On the other hand, of course, there's the question of whether Torchwood is taking place in the original universe, the partly deleted one or the rebooted version.   Or in yet another.  That might make a difference.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 03:54:27 pm »

I think that there needs to be a certain amount of links in the show to remind people of where it comes from, but at the same time it should be quite limited. It annoyed me in COE when everyone kept saying 'Well this would never happen because the Doctor would save them'. I think people need to accept that it is part of DW while apart from DW.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheRealHeatherG
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: 10 > 11 > 9 > 4
Favourite Companion: Rose, Donna, Jack, Martha

Iceman is my OH. Please send help. (And pizza.)

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:02:56 pm »

I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, I would really miss the Whoniverse connection and I think it's an integral part of the show's identity. To completely sever it would be a shame -- and sort of an insult to fans.

On the other hand, the show can definitely stands on its own. CoE, love it or hate it (I loved it) was proof of that. And since MD is going to be in a similar vein (a singular story encompassing a season), I think they can pull it off.

But I'm hoping they'll retain SOME connection to DW. However, it wouldn't be the first spin-off in history to completely deviate from its original source.

Time will tell.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: @TheRealHeatherG

(I answer to "Heather" or "Bella")
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 01:43:24 pm »

I'm of two minds about this.

On the one hand, I would really miss the Whoniverse connection and I think it's an integral part of the show's identity. To completely sever it would be a shame -- and sort of an insult to fans.

On the other hand, the show can definitely stands on its own. CoE, love it or hate it (I loved it) was proof of that. And since MD is going to be in a similar vein (a singular story encompassing a season), I think they can pull it off.

But I'm hoping they'll retain SOME connection to DW. However, it wouldn't be the first spin-off in history to completely deviate from its original source.

Time will tell.  Undecided

I would pretty much agree with everything Heather has said. There is a fine line but if they keep a good balance then I think it could work out nicely. It doesnt need to completely break free but at the same time it doesnt need to rely on DW for support
Report Spam   Logged

RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 04:39:15 am »

I definitely think that Jack will be without his vortex manipulator, because his was the wrist that River got her VM from, and that will be the connection between the two shows.

Although, Moffat does seem like he might like to bring Jack back for a cameo at some point, if John was available. He admitted as much in a recent interview.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:17:08 pm »

The latest series didn't even feel like Torchwood particularly, let alone the wider whoniverse. I think if it comes back again it will have pretty much broken away completely
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: