The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 03:26:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Ripples From The Big Bang

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ripples From The Big Bang  (Read 353 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:59:23 pm »

I was just reading a post in the Torchwood thread by Nyki about where Torchwood sits in the Whoniverse now and it got me thinking. I know that Moff has said that by doing The Big Bang it allows him to tell his stories without having to worry about canon and reboots because any discrepancy can now be put down to the events of time rewriting itself because of the Big Bang, but I think this is going to prove to be a big mistake for the show. I've always thought it a bit of a copout, but now even moreso.

In the long run I suppose it comes down to how much Moff changes things during his tenure, but it just seems like there is now a big gaping hole in the show. How much of the history of the show even happened now that the whole of the universe has been rewritten? Did he ever travel with Ace, did he assemble the Key To Time, did he ever go to Satellite 5 etc. The thing is, Doctor Who is made up of hundreds of intertwining threads and links and rewriting one to possibly fit one of his stories could knock so many other stories or plot points out of sync and suddenly make half of the history make no sense at all.

One argument could be that everything was rewritten exactly how it was, with the exception of whatever it was that caused the cracks, but I suppose that is unlikely if lots of things change. The more I think about it, the less I like the idea of everything being rewritten. Do you think that this will have much effect on the show and it's history, or do you think we are unlikely to see any fallout from it?
Report Spam   Logged

Hyacathusarillistad
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Third or Eleventh
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant or Amy Pond

Extant Time Lord

View Profile
Level 4 Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 04:38:03 pm »

You mean Ace may be knocked out of canon? Fine by me.
Report Spam   Logged

Torchwood Five

Episode I - The Brainstem Murders
Episode II - Vanishing Act
Episode III - Side Effects
Episode IV - The Villieneuve Incident
Episode V - Ritardando
Episode VI - Body Count
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:55:29 pm »

You mean Ace may be knocked out of canon? Fine by me.

What's wrong with Ace?
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:49 pm »

I think that the Big Bang was just a silly way of using a reset button or get out clause. In the long run it will probably make little difference to the show as a whole, but will give Moff the opportunity to blame everything that doesnt quite make sense on that event
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:46 pm »

Hmmm...I think it might be hard to answer as it's still ongoing, isn't it, what with The Silence & all.

Perhaps they will answer it for us this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 01:13:41 pm »

I hate that the Big Bang is now the get out of jail free card within the show. Moffat has already said many times that any discrepancies will now just be put down to TBB so he can move on with stories and not worry about little bits that don't make sense. While I can understand how nice that must be for the writers, because it means they have more freedom to tell stories, at the same time it smacks of laziness if you ask me
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

I think I agree with that.  The show's background has always been subject to tweaking (the second Dalek story contradicted the first, for instance) but I don't really like it if they're going to feel they have carte blanche to change anything they feel like.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: