The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 12:45:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Introducing....The Fifth Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing....The Fifth Doctor  (Read 300 times)
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »

1982 - 1984

"That's the trouble with regeneration. You quite never know what you're going to get."

Portrayed by; Peter Davison (1951-)

The Fifth Doctor was far more vulnerable, sensitive, and reserved than his previous incarnations, and often reacted to situations rather than initiating them. Frequently, he made decisions by flipping a coin.

Unlike his more authoritative predecessors, he treated his young companions as parts of a team, and often willingly participated in situations under the leadership of someone else who had the strong command presence that he apparently lacked.
However, the Fifth Doctor's boyish appearance, nervous energy, and charm all hid the fact that he was a Time Lord of great age, compassion, and experience.

This Doctor greatly abhorred violence and often hesitated about taking matters into his own hands.
For the first time, indecision weighed seriously on the character, and it had its consequences - yet this Doctor was also one of the most courageous of his incarnations.
He was willing to take chances with companions like Turlough and Kamelion, who were originally threats, even as he pretended to be unaware of it at first in order to grant his companion the opportunity to do the right thing.
He was also willing to make enormous personal sacrifices (Mawdryn Undead) simply to keep his word and liberate others from suffering.
It was perhaps the awful realisation that his very existence begat violence and the weight of companion Adric's death on his conscience, and perhaps Tegan's near emotional breakdown as well, that led him to sacrifice his own existence to save his last companion, Peri.

Televised Adventures

Castrovalva; Four To Doomsday; Kinda; The Visitation
Black Orchid; Earthshock; Time-Flight; Arc of Infinity
Snakedance
The Guardian Trilogy: Mawdryn Undead; Terminus; Enlightenment
The King's Demons; The Five Doctors; Warriors of the Deep
The Awakening; Frontios; Resurrection of the Daleks
Planet of Fire; The Caves of Androzani
Time Crash

Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:01 am »

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Davison may be my least favorite Doctor. Which doesn't mean much because I think he's a very good Doctor. I like all the Doctors brilliantly, but it's Davison who strikes me a bit atypical in his /typicalness/. A very ordinary sort of guy who takes a lot of crap from his companions. He had some great stories in his run, Resurrection, Kinda, Mawdryn Undead, but I only really felt like Davison was playing the Doctor to the fullest in Caves of Androzani. Ironically that's when Davison said he first really knew how to play the part.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: