The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 01:58:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Introducing....The Seventh Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing....The Seventh Doctor  (Read 500 times)
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: January 22, 2011, 03:52:27 pm »

1987 - 1989

"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do."

Portrayed by; Sylvester McCoy (1943 -)

The Seventh Doctor displayed perhaps the most profound change in attitude of any of the Time Lord's personae, beginning as perhaps the most outwardly amiable and bumbling (to the extent of putting himself in danger but not at the cost of his overall great intelligence and benevolent intentions) and progressing into a driven, dark gamemaster whose plans to defeat his adversaries, both old and new, would play out across space and time.
He generally displayed an affable, curious, knowledgeable, easygoing, excitable and charming air. However, as he began to choose his battles and keep a tighter grip on his secrets - from his plans to his very identity - he also presented more serious, contemplative, secretive, wi****l and manipulative sides with undercurrents of mischief and authority, constantly giving the impression that there was more to him than met the eye.

As something of a showman, the Doctor would sometimes act like a buffoon, usually preferring to manipulate events from behind the scenes; much like his second incarnation, he was prepared to play the fool in order to trick his foes into underestimating him, inevitably leading to their defeat at his hands.
He was an adept physical performer and once deployed a repertoire of magic tricks, illusions and escape artistry to this effect as part of his plans.

Although his more obvious whimsical tendencies disappeared over time (particularly his spoons-playing), he maintained a fondness for idiosyncratic speeches that occasionally referred to literature, ordinary places and even food and drink amidst the weightier concerns on his mind.
He was empathetic to his friends (and even his enemies, such as Helen A) and somewhat melancholic at times (such as during Mel's departure and before his decision to eradicate the Daleks) but now placed greater burdens upon himself in the name of protecting the universe.
This may have led him to surround his true intentions in mystery and the use of sleight of hand as befit his fondness for performance, in effect, subverting his more lighthearted qualities to complement and enhance his heroic and darker ones.

Televised Adventures

Time And the Rani
Paradise Towers
Delta And the Bannermen
Dragonfire
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Happiness Patrol
Silver Nemesis
The Greatest Show In the Galaxy
Battlefield
Ghost Light
The Curse of Fenric
Survival

Doctor Who (TV Movie)
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 03:52:51 pm »

Just as a side note - how AWESOME is that quote?!!
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 06:32:54 pm »

One of my favourite Doctors of the lot. Although given a few dodgy scripts, McCoy gave his all in the lot of them and its a shame that they only started writing for his worth towards the end of his run. This guy needs to make a return, to prove the naysayers wrong if nothing else
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 06:55:49 pm »

This guy needs to make a return, to prove the naysayers wrong if nothing else

God, I'd love that!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 12:55:54 am »

Completely agree, Oh-Wise-One.  Considering how much better each series was than the last, can you imagine what it would have been like if he'd reached his fifth or sixth?
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:34:37 am »

The seventh is my favorite and I so wish for more of his stories. They're all so brilliant and I just love McCoy in the part. The mysterious Time's Champion is exciting, his little idiosyncrasies like the facial expressions and silly voices he sometimes does. Little touches like that make this Doctor great. I just watched Battlefield today for the fun of it. Luckily I can still enjoy new stories with McCoy via the novels and audio dramas. I've got Flip-Flop next!
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Mr Chinn
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: McCoy and Smith
Favourite Companion: Jo, Romana I, Ace & Donna

View Profile
500 Posts Signature Level 4
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:31:41 pm »

The Seventh Doctor is the one I would like to see make a return most of all. McCoy didn't have the easiest job coming into the role because the Colin Baker years (though CB isn't to blame) got a bit messy and lacked in quality somewhat. McCoy had a good start and the stories started coming together and things were very much on the up for the show. It would have been nice to see him get a longer stab at it to really make it his own.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: