The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 16, 2024, 07:46:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Is It Important To Cast A Fan?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is It Important To Cast A Fan?  (Read 368 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 23, 2011, 11:22:34 am »

When it comes to Doctor Who and The Doctor, do you think it is important to cast someone who is a fan of the show and who embraces it's history or do you think that it doesnt matter as long as they are good in the role?

I can't speak about earlier incarnations but since the show came back we had Christopher Eccleston, who while brilliant as the Doctor, wasn't a fan of the show and just saw it as another job and has since pretty much disregarded it. David Tennant on the other hand was also brilliant, but had wanted to play the part for his whole life. He embraced everything to do with the show, and still does, and got a far better reception. Now we have Matt who had never seen the show when he was cast, but differently to Eccleston, went back and watched and then became a big fan and often speaks in interviews to say how important he feels the history of the show is to how he plays the role etc.

Three very different approaches and all seem to work in their own way, but how important is it that the actor playing the Doctor is a fan? Or the ones playing companions too for that matter?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:36:36 pm »

Brillant thread  Cool

I don't think it's that important. I'd much rather have the right man for the job - being a fan of the show doesn't necessarily add up to that. Having said that I think it's important whoever takes on the role has a respect for its history/understanding of the responsibilty that comes with being a part of it.

I think the same should apply to everyone involved Cool

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 01:05:56 pm »

I think there is definately some importance on the actor playing it to have some knowledge, or at least seek some knowledge about the show. The Doctor is a huge role, one that many actors would love to have and I would hate to think that the sole reason a person is playing it is to advance their career or something. I respect Matt Smith for sitting down with the classic DVDs and watching and learning about the history and it has paid off both on screen and off I think. Tennant was a fanboy for a long time and it was evident and the respect he has for the show and the fans is blatently obvious. Eccleston on the other hand, brilliant as he was, never seemed to understand the hugeness of the role or the fandom that surrounded it and as a result has alienated himself somewhat from a lot of fandom who find him dismissive of them and the role. His choice, obviously, and it is neither right nor wrong, but it is a great shame.

I have to admit I often find myself slightly irked when I see interviews with Karen Gillan and she is completely clueless about the show before she was in it. She doesnt have to be a fan of it, but it wouldnt hurt to do a bit of research. She isnt the only one, but one that comes to mind off the top of my head
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:11:13 pm »

I agree that it shouldn't matter if the actors were fans of the show prior - what matters if if they are right for the role.  I also agree that it's great when actors take the time to do the research they need to understand the character's history.  Having said that, I can understand NOT wanting to re-watch everything for fear that you may mimic past performances rather than making the character your own and fresh.  I can see it either way. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:08:17 pm »

I think so. Don't get me wrong, I think that the best actor for the job should get it, but I think it is respectful of the show and the history to do your research. After all, you wouldnt go for a job interview without knowing anything about the company who is hiring you.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »

I don't think it's essential that the person be a fan before they were cast - as has been said before Matt wasn't yet he's fab in the role IMO. But I do think that once cast it is vital that they explore the history of the show - you have to know something about where the Doctor has come from to take him further on in his journey and to understand the sheer weight of what you are truly taking on. I don't think this is just true of this show or role either - I would hope anyone going into a role that has been established does this (the actors taking over the iconic Star Trek roles for the 2009 movie are others that come to mind).
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 05:52:14 pm »

I don't think it's essential that the person be a fan before they were cast - as has been said before Matt wasn't yet he's fab in the role IMO. But I do think that once cast it is vital that they explore the history of the show - you have to know something about where the Doctor has come from to take him further on in his journey and to understand the sheer weight of what you are truly taking on. I don't think this is just true of this show or role either - I would hope anyone going into a role that has been established does this (the actors taking over the iconic Star Trek roles for the 2009 movie are others that come to mind).

All I can say to that is "see above for my view" Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:02 pm »

I agree that it shouldn't matter if the actors were fans of the show prior - what matters if if they are right for the role.  I also agree that it's great when actors take the time to do the research they need to understand the character's history.  Having said that, I can understand NOT wanting to re-watch everything for fear that you may mimic past performances rather than making the character your own and fresh.  I can see it either way. 

While I can understand perhaps not wanting to watch too much of what has come before in case it leaks through into your performance, if you are the best actor for the job then you should be able to play the role without copying someone else anyway, regardless of how much you have already seen.

I think so. Don't get me wrong, I think that the best actor for the job should get it, but I think it is respectful of the show and the history to do your research. After all, you wouldnt go for a job interview without knowing anything about the company who is hiring you.

Exactly. I think that it is important to look back and discover and learn and extend your knowledge. There is no point having someone in the role who doesnt have a clue about what they are doing as the character or why they are doing it. Its a fine line admittedly, but I think it is important

Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:58:25 pm »

I think you need to have good knowledge of what you are letting yourself into. I mean us fans of the show know how important it is to us and needs someone who understands that and doesn't just regard it as another job like Chris did. He aws a brilliant doctor and could have gone far but yeah David and Matt are better because they love the show so much themselves. I think they need to find a balance of the two, know it is a job and have to perform and work hard but at the same time have a good understanding of the shows importance to its audience.
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:56:07 pm »

I genuinely don't care if they have never seen an episode or don't like the show. I want the best possible actor for the job. I don't care if they don't know their sonic screwdriver from the Heisenberg compensator. Give me someone who can take me on a journey and act their socks off. This may sound a little strange but it is the character of the Doctor that fascinates me. I don't care about Matt Smith, or David Tennant or anyone else for that matter. They are actors doing a job. In the same way as I don't care about the mechanic who fixes my car, I don't care who they get to be the Doctor or whether they like what they do - I just want them to do as good a job as they can. In fact, sometimes it can actually be beneficial to have someone detached from the show as the star - they can bring in something new to the performance. So in answer to the main question, my vote is very definitely 'No' - I don't care who makes the dinner as long as I enjoy the food Smiley

What does annoy me, however, is those who have a needless poke at the fans after their time on the show. Thankfully this seems to be more of a phenomenon with other (i.e. Star Trek) franchises. Granted some extremes of fandom can be a little obsessive but generally we are all fairly harmless. This is why I love Jon Pertwee, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy & DT so much - they know fans just want a little piece of them and they can provide it with no real effort to themselves. That is a real nice touch and makes them just a little more special Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 11:59:19 am »

I can completely see where you are coming from it is important that they can do the job but don't you think it could benefit slightly if they like the job?Huh? Think about it if someone doesn't like the job then they aren't going to put their heart and sole into it which, personally, I think helps build the doctors character the most, without heart and sole the doctor would live don't you think?Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 02:14:44 am »

I think it is. Or as other have said, it is at least important for the actor to take a vested interest in the history of the character and show. I think any actor who takes the role just as another 'job' is at more of a risk of failing in the role because they just won't understand the complexity of it. I don't care if they are a fan or even if they like the show, but they should make the effort to learn about its history and exactly who the Doctor is in order to play it properly. At least then they can put their own spin on the role without making it something entirely different
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: