The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 02:17:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

An Unearthly Child

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Unearthly Child  (Read 568 times)
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:32:01 pm »

Ok, it's been long enough now. This evening I am going to start on The Beginning box set. So far my only dalliance with the classic series have been two Pertwee stories that my gran got my by accident, but I adored them and got myself this box set ages ago and then never got around to it. I think it is about time I catch up so tonight is as good a night as any. If you havent watched it yet, then do it tonight, and if you have watched it, then be here tomorrow and we can all discuss. Then I don't have to talk to myself about it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:33:23 pm »

If I had it, I'd join you!
Really need to educate myself more with the stories of 1 & 2 - sad really that I've left it go on so long!
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:38:32 pm »

You should enjoy it. The first episode particularly, is brilliant.

TFD, there are loads of places online that you can watch Wink
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »

Episodes 2-4 perhaps don't quite live up to episode one, but they're still very enjoyable, and the other two stories in the box are awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 09:39:28 pm »

With the exception of the opener I really aint so keen on this one. Though the other two stories in the box set are crackers
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:17:37 pm »

Have to agree that for me episode 1 is the best of the lot - but still it's an enjoyable opening story.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 10:40:10 pm »

All the stories are great but as others have said, the first episode of AUC is the best of the first story. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it though Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »

I don't really know what to say to be honest. The first episode was great, it set everything up really well and the two teachers seem like great companions. Susan is a bit odd, but I suppose she is meant to be. The Doctor seems like a grumpy old fuddy duddy, but I would imagine he will change over time. When I first watche the Ninth Doctor I didnt particularly like him, but he mellowed and then I really liked him. The stuff with the cavemen was ok I guess. Some of it was a bit silly but it was the first story and you have to give it time to find it's feet I guess. Overall I would say a thumbs up from me.

I skipped the Dalek story because it was getting late, but I did watch The Edge Of Destruction because it was only a short one and I thought it was brilliant. Totally wierd but kinda awesome at the same time. For a lot of it I had no idea what was going on but I loved it anyways. I particularly like that it was all set inside the TARDIS. It was quite eerie and creepy. They should do something like that now. I think it would go down well. I will get around to the Dalek one tonight now.

Also, feel free to move the Edge of Destruction stuff if you think it should be in its own thread Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:37:13 pm »

For a lot of it I had no idea what was going on but I loved it anyways.

You're not alone in that Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 03:00:35 am »

The first Doctor really mellowed a lot during his three years on screen. He was initially imagined as very grumpy, a little bit scary and very very alien, but by the end he was more of a lovable Grandfather-type figure. You probably won't see much of that in this box set, but if you check out later Hartnell stories like The Time Meddler or The War Machines you'll see what I mean. Incidentally, does your copy have the original unbroadcast pilot version of the first episode? It's more-or-less the same script-wise but the Doctor is even more bad-tempered and unlikeable than in the broadcast version. Apparently one of the reasons it was re-shot was because they decided that the character needed softening - and, after watching it back, even William Hartnell himself agreed with this and was keen to give it another try.

As for the three stories in the box set, I'd agree with the assessment that An Unearthly Child has a brilliant first episode, but tails off badly after that. Episode one sets the scene perfectly, with everything being seen through the eyes of the ordinary humans who get drawn into the Doctor's circle, with the truly magical moment when they step into the TARDIS for the first time. (not entirely unlike another first episode a mere 42 years later!)

I absolutely LOVE The Daleks, but we'll come back to that.

The Edge Of Destruction I was a little less keen on. I like the strangeness of it (it seems weird now so what the hell must it have been like in 1963?), but it often feels like it's not really going anywhere and I didn't really feel much the wiser about what was supposed to have been going on by the end of it.

Overall though I love this set. It's great to see how different, and yet how similar, the show was when it first started to how it later became and how it still is today.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:54:59 am »

I have also recently watched The Beginning box set.  As I have said in another thread, I think that the stories were actually very good, and I love that the Daleks look exactly the same, but I was so surprised at how different the Doctor was.  He really started out as this grumpy, arrogant old man.  It will be interesting to see how the character evolves into the character that we have today.

I agree with the above statements though: that the first episode of An Unearthly Child was a great start to the series Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 03:23:00 pm »

Incidentally, does your copy have the original unbroadcast pilot version of the first episode? It's more-or-less the same script-wise but the Doctor is even more bad-tempered and unlikeable than in the broadcast version. Apparently one of the reasons it was re-shot was because they decided that the character needed softening - and, after watching it back, even William Hartnell himself agreed with this and was keen to give it another try.

Also, Susan is pretty weird and scary in the pilot.
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

Incidentally, does your copy have the original unbroadcast pilot version of the first episode? It's more-or-less the same script-wise but the Doctor is even more bad-tempered and unlikeable than in the broadcast version. Apparently one of the reasons it was re-shot was because they decided that the character needed softening - and, after watching it back, even William Hartnell himself agreed with this and was keen to give it another try.

Also, Susan is pretty weird and scary in the pilot.

I like that. I think it was something they were aiming for because although she looked like an ordinary (sort of Tongue) girl, the audience still needed to believe she was from another world.

An Unearthly Child, while not at the top of my list of favourites is still a really good story. It sort of loses its way in episode 3 but then finds its way back to a brilliant concluding episode. This is a story, whether you are a fan of the classics or not, that every fan should watch at least once to see how it all began
Report Spam   Logged
The Cyber Mistress
Earthling

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 02:22:53 pm »

Episodes 2-4 perhaps don't quite live up to episode one, but they're still very enjoyable, and the other two stories in the box are awesome.

This is what I always assumed and it's not a story that I revisit often as a result of that, but last week I rewatched it again and I enjoyed it a whole lot more. I think it feels a bit disjointed and tacked on to the first episode, but as a story on it's own with the cavemen I actually quite enjoyed it this time around.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: