The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:45:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Elisabeth Sladen - The Autobiography

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elisabeth Sladen - The Autobiography  (Read 668 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: January 26, 2011, 01:41:54 pm »

When Elisabeth Sladen first appeared as plucky journalist Sarah Jane Smith in 1973 Doctor Who story The Time Warrior, little did she know the character would become one of the most enduring and fondly remembered in the series’ history.

The coming years would see her traverse time and space alongside classic Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, whilst a generation of children crouched behind the sofa, terrified but transfixed as their tea time heroine found herself menaced by Daleks, dinosaurs, Cybermen, man-eating alien flora, Egyptian mummies, extras in Bubble Wrap and even the Loch Ness Monster. By the time she quit the TARDIS in 1976, making front page news, Elisabeth had become one of the most familiar faces of a TV golden age. But that wasn’t the end of Sarah Jane.

Since then Elisabeth has reprised the role many times appearing in anniversary specials; a 1981 spin-off with robotic sidekick K-9; radio plays; and for the BBC’s Children in Need. She’s toured the weird, wide and wonderful world of Doctor Who fandom and regularly tops polls of fans’ all time favourite companions. So when TV wunderkind Russell T. Davies approached her to come back again, this time to a Doctor Who backed by multi-million pound budgets and garlanded with critical plaudits, how could she possibly say no? Now Elisabeth Sladen tells the story of her remarkable career: a unique, insider’s view of the world’s longest running science fiction series; and of British television yesterday and today. Funny, ridiculous, insightful and entertaining hers is the story of another girl, another planet. Elisabeth Sladen plays companion Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

She has also appeared in Coronation Street, Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em and Z-Cars.

It is released in hardback on April 25th for £16.99 but can be pre-ordered from Amazon for £11.04

And how awesome is that cover!!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:12:51 pm »

That really is an awesome cover.

I'd get this for sure. I love stuff that reveals behind the scenes stuff from the classic series
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:09:58 pm »

I actually dislike the cover - think it'd be a head scratcher if you're not a hardened fan - I'm sure there are much cooler pics of her out there to choose from.

I'll keep an eye out for it though, hopefully an interesting read.
Report Spam   Logged

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:14:16 pm »

Im learning Classic Who, so I don't immediately understand. It reminded me more of Donna and the beetle on her back tbh  Embarrassed

But I hope Amazon US has it, I would love to read this.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:20:48 pm »

It's from Planet of the Spiders (never! lol) - Jon Pertwee's final adventure.
But yeah, you summed up what I meant there Ice - it's a pic for fans for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:27:13 pm »

Not too sure about the cover, but I think it will probably change. It doesnt look real. I will be getting this anyways, whatever it looks like
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:15:50 am »

I have to admit I find it an odd choice for the cover. I would have thought a current photo - as herself  - would have been far more suitable as it's an autobiography  Undecided

Should be a good read though  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:01:02 am »

I've just ordered this. Such a shame its released just a few days after her passing but I imagine it will make reading it all the more worthwhile
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:30:24 pm »

I had my copy on order anyway, but I've a feeling that this might be delayed now. If I find out for sure I will update
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 11:15:55 am »

This has been delayed until further notice.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:57:20 pm »

Because of Lis Sladens death the release of this was pushed back to include her last months. A new cover has been added and a foreword has been written by David Tennant. The release date is now November 7th.

The autobiography of Elisabeth Sladen, the actress behind Sarah Jane Smith, Doctor Who’s most popular companion

Published posthumously, with the support and participation of Elisabeth’s family, this is a warm and witty celebration of an actress who delighted generations of children and is fondly remembered by fans young and old alike

After returning to Doctor Who in 2006, Elisabeth starred in her own spin-off series The Sarah Jane Adventures, which became CBBC’s highest-rated show.

When Elisabeth Sladen first appeared as plucky journalist Sarah Jane Smith in 1973 Doctor Who story The Time Warrior, little did she know the character would become one of the most enduring and fondly remembered of the series’ long history.

The years that followed saw Elisabeth traverse time and space alongside classic Doctors Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker, whilst a generation of children crouched behind the sofa, terrified but transfixed as their tea-time her0ine found herself menaced by Daleks, dinosaurs, Cybermen, Egyptian mummies, extras in Bubble Wrap and even the Loch Ness Monster. By the time she quit the TARDIS in 1976, making front-page news, Elisabeth had become one of the most familiar faces of a TV golden age.

But you don’t just walk away from Doctor Who. Elisabeth was asked to reprise the role many times, appearing in anniversary specials; an ill-fated 1981 spin-off with robotic sidekick K-9; radio plays; and for the BBC’s Children in Need. She toured the weird, wide and wonderful world of Doctor Who fandom and became one of the series’ all-time favourite companions. So when TV wunderkind Russell T Davies approached her to come back again, this time to a Doctor Who backed by multi-million-pound budgets and garlanded with critical plaudits, how could she refuse?

This warm and witty autobiography, completed only months before Elisabeth died in April 2011, tells her remarkable story, from humble beginnings in post-war Liverpool, through an acclaimed theatrical career working alongside stage luminaries such as Alan Ayckbourn, to Coronation Street, Some Mothers Do ’Ave ’Em and the furthest reaches of the Universe.

A unique, insider’s view of the world’s longest running science fiction series, and of British television yesterday and today, Elisabeth’s memoir is funny, ridiculous, insightful and entertaining and a fitting tribute to a woman who will be sadly missed by millions.

Elisabeth Sladen played Sarah Jane Smith in Doctor Who and The Sarah Jane Adventures. She also appeared in Coronation Street, Z-Cars and Some Mothers Do ’Ave ’Em among others, and enjoyed a long, successful and very happy career in the theatre. She died in April 2011.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »

Here is the new cover. I forgot to add it to the last post.

Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »

That cover is far better. I liked the original one but it seemed a bit cheap. I'll be picking this up.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:46 pm »

AudioGo will now also be releasing this as an audio book read by Caroline John who played Liz Shaw on the show.

Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22:41 pm »

This is going to be a must-have book. I have some iTunes vouchers which look poised to be spent on Nov 7th Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:52 pm »

I have decided to put this in here. Its a lovely interview with Sadie Miller, Lis Sladens daughter, which is more of a general chit chat than anything else, but its to promote the book. Well worth a watch. It was on BBC Breakfast this morning.

Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 02:47:00 pm »

I'm currently exactly 150 pages in and she is about to start work on her first serial with Tom Baker.

It's a great read so far but I am not sure I entirely 'get' her. I'm not sure if it's her humour, or the way it's written or just her general personality but at times she comes off really quite grumpy. Well, not grumpy now, but she describes herself as quite grumpy in her youth, like she took herself very very seriously. She is very honest though and isn't afraid to say that she hating things or found them stupid etc, like a little ritual that Jon Pertwee and Nick Courtney used to do before filming a story that she found really stupid and hated joining in with. Things like that.

She also isn't afraid to talk about people who were not so nice. Often you read autobiographies and stories will be told but people remain nameless, but she is quite open about things like working on Coronation Street and Pat Phoenix being rude to her, stuff like that. She also pretty much confirms that Freema was sacked as Martha before S3 had even finished filming and that Tennant was a bit bitter about Matt Smith taking over the role of the Doctor (though I think it was more that anyone was taking over, and not specifically Matt Smith).

The insights into her relationship with Jon Pertwee have been brilliant. As often as she says how nice he was, she is quite honest about not really being taken with him to begin with and that it took a while for their relationship to develop fully, but it was really strong once it did. She has also given quite a lot of details about how he came to leave the show, and how he really didn't want to, and as a result took an instant disliking to Tom Baker and refused to be in the same room as him. She also told of how after listening to one of his stories she said she thought he was joking, but he was being deadly serious and slapped her across the face for doubting him, which really shocked me. I wasn't so surprised though when she said she gave him a wallop back. That, she said, was the lowest point of working on the show.

That's about as far as I am up to with it at the moment. Its a really good read so far and I like that she is really positive about her life. Many people who write these sort of books fill it with their woes but while she is honest about not always being happy with all she has done, she always seems to see the bright and funny side to everything and it never seems like she wants or needs sympathy for anything she missed out on or got wrong in her life or her career. More than anything else she seems happy with her lot, which really comes accross in the book. I'm not even half way through yet so there is still loads to go, but I would definately reccomend it already.
Report Spam   Logged
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 02:23:16 pm »

My friend has read it and then said she wishes she hadn't. She didn't go into much detail so I don't know exactly what made her feel that way, but I would assume it's not a good thing. I'm still going to read it eventually though.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 08:26:00 pm »

I thought it was brilliant. A very honest, insightful look into her life and into the show.

One thing I really like about the book is that nothing is sugar-coated and she doesn't paint any pictures brighter than they were, and I think perhaps sometimes that can come off as grumpiness or whatever. She isn't afraid to tell it like it is, or was, and maybe some people were expecting it to be more that she always liked and got on with everyone who she met, and things like that.

The thing about Jon Pertwee slapping her across the face shocked me too, Saber!!
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2011, 05:08:27 pm »

I got this for Christmas. Haven't started on it yet but I can't wait. I'm ignoring the above and will try to look at it without concentrating too much on others' thoughts of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: