The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:28:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Show Runner

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Show Runner  (Read 509 times)
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »

What would you be doing with DW if you were running the show? Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:14:43 pm »

I feel hugely unqualified to answer but I can't resist!  Tongue

I'd introduce a new female assistant (perhaps not human) who was strong, independent and a real role model for young girls watching the show.  I'd like an older male assistant too.  I'd have the Doctor mention some of his former companions, and I'd love to bring back Ian as a guest star, to givr a continuity feel like in School Reunion. 

Anything else I could say would be moaning about characters I don't enjoy right now, so I wont go their!

ps can I be the plucky assistant?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 10:22:48 pm »

Brillant - a response  Cool I was expecting people to come in their droves for a chance to outline their 'ideal'  Wink

You can say what you like - there's no right or wrong. Just how YOU would like the show to be. Simples Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »

The thing is, it's easy to criticise, but hard to explain exactly what you would want.  I loved every moment of the RTD era - yup even the stinkers, because I loved the characters so much.  That time is gone, and I've accepted that now, but I enjoyed the show before, and I'm sure things will get better for me soon, in the mean time I have loads of classics to watch that I have not seen before!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:38:25 pm »

The main thing I want is an alien companion! I dont mind if they are male or female, I just want an off-worlder and out of time. They did it before. They can even look mostly humoniod, just have like the wrong colour eyes or a tattoo or something. We need to bring back the importance of aliens! Too much focus is being given to humans and Earth. Its getting annoying. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 11:45:26 pm »

A companion not from current day Earth would be good, even if still human, a cave girl or a medieval knight, you get the idea.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 11:55:10 pm »

I might lose a couple of you along the way with this post, but there is an episode of Angel which has a 'demon' I suppose you could call her. She was chinese and humanoid, but they stuck a tattoo on her face and a bump on her neck and you totally believed she was other worldly. An alien companion like that could work well. Jira I think she was called. They wouldnt have to worry about expensies with make up and whatnot, and she wouldnt look totally out of place in earth settings. This is her and the idea I am getting at

Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 12:30:45 pm »

If I was showrunner I would do away with series long arcs. Its all well and good having something that binds the whole series together, but how much is it really needed? I like the more episodic format to be honest. I would have two companions, but not in a relationship like the current pair. I would have one from some random planet, and one from Earth's past, then bring their stories together by showing how they both deal and cope with travelling with the Doctor from their relative perspectives. It would add a lot of depth and story possibilities for the characters, and could be a way to engage audiences as they would technically be seeing it through the eyes of the companion.

I would also make more use of the fact that the solar system goes further out than our moon and stop setting so many stories on Earth, especially modern day. I would also bring The Doctor back to the forefront again, as he seems to have been lost in the latest series behind the companion and her drama's. The Daleks would be redesigned, probably back to the camo gear as that looked pretty awesome.

I would do a flashback two parter staring Paul McGann as Eight and featuring the current Doctor being trapped in a groundhog day scenario where he has to watch Eight in the final day of the time war, and manipulate his actions to make sure he dies and regenerates, causing a paradox of sorts, because if he doesnt the current Doctor never exists to save a star from exploding and killing the last remnants of the human race. (Ive thought about this a lot though it needs work:P)
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 01:43:02 pm »

Now that is more like it DoctorDonna Cool What has happened/is happening in the show is irrelevant if you like - this is about what you would have done if the BBC had approached YOU to kickstart the show  Wink

Perhaps I should change the heading to YOU ARE the show runner- what would you do?  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 01:14:29 pm »

Wow, DoctorDonna, you seem to have it all worked out. And I agree with a lot of it too. Perhaps you should apply for a job Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

SupremeDalek
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: David Tennant
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:28:42 pm »

I'd have Eleven mention his old companions/past self a bit more. I mean, Ten met back up with Jack and even Sarah Jane, but Eleven acts as if he's always been Eleven, and Amy and Rory are the only companions. Also, he hasn't used the psychic paper in a while...

I'm not hating on Eleven, I'm just saying that the show's been a bit too much like season five is the begining...
Report Spam   Logged

"If you look at time from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:29 pm »

Even the flashbacks, like in Eleventh Hour and the cut scene where Amy goes through the female companions of the TARDIS and the boxes in the Doctor's wife?

I'm being pernickity, but I don't think he acts like he is the first, I think we were relying on the Psychic Paper too much and I don't mind that it hasn't overly been used...

I think he is trying to move on, most of the docs don't really mention previous companions very regularly do they? It's been a while since I watched the classics... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
SupremeDalek
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: David Tennant
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:45:35 pm »

Even the flashbacks, like in Eleventh Hour and the cut scene where Amy goes through the female companions of the TARDIS and the boxes in the Doctor's wife?
I'm being pernickity, but I don't think he acts like he is the first, I think we were relying on the Psychic Paper too much and I don't mind that it hasn't overly been used...

I think he is trying to move on, most of the docs don't really mention previous companions very regularly do they? It's been a while since I watched the classics... Roll Eyes

I don't remember that scene... then again, I miss a lot by not living in the UK...

I see your point, though. Maybe a lot of those kind of scenes have been cut out before airing overseas or something? The only episode I remember that refers to an episode from before season five (besides River Song) is Eleventh Hour, with the Atraxi displaying all the monsters and then all the Doctors.
Report Spam   Logged

"If you look at time from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff."
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 10:55:10 pm »

I think you all know would what would happen if I took over the show.

I think its best if we leave it to your imagination.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 11:47:13 pm »

I don't remember that scene... then again, I miss a lot by not living in the UK...

I see your point, though. Maybe a lot of those kind of scenes have been cut out before airing overseas or something? The only episode I remember that refers to an episode from before season five (besides River Song) is Eleventh Hour, with the Atraxi displaying all the monsters and then all the Doctors.

No, I meant the Atraxi scene... But at the end of the Big bang when he is going back through his time line he mentions not wanting to see it all again or something.....

But The Doctor's Wife is very back referencing, most obvious of these are the White cubes and the discussions of who is the thief Smiley

I think you all know would what would happen if I took over the show.

I think its best if we leave it to your imagination.  Wink

Can we just give you Torchwood instead? Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:05:09 am »

Well since Jack would be a regular in my Who, yes that might be acceptable Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 12:07:04 am »

Well since Jack would be a regular in my Who, yes that might be acceptable Tongue

Hurray! Sounds wonderful! Can't wait! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 12:26:30 pm »

Actually, I think the last two series have referenced the past more than any other NuWho.  Besides the examples mentioned, there's the library card in Vampires of Venice, showing the First Doctor, and the various versions Ganger-Doctor goes through.  Captain Avery in CotBS is a fairly subtle reference to the 1966 story The Smugglers.  And The Doctor's Wife is really one big back-reference.

I agree about the psychic paper - like the sonic, it's a great device but has to be used carefully to prevent things getting too easy.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 12:34:29 pm »

As well as the scene in The Eleventh Hour with all the past Doctors and villains and aliens, there was also the fact that Eleven met Jo and Sarah Jane in SJA, we also had the First Doctor's library card in Vampires Of Venice and images of the First and Second Doctor in Vincent and the Doctor and the voices/quotes of at least 3 Doctors, including One, Four and Ten in the Gangers episodes. I would say there has been more references to the past in the last series and a half than there was in both Eccleston and Tennants run
Report Spam   Logged

RedHairedGrrlGeek
Hatchling

Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 08:32:58 pm »

I'd introduce a new female assistant (perhaps not human) who was strong, independent and a real role model for young girls watching the show.

Radical idea, maybe, but in that vein, I'd like to see a female companion - alien or human (and yeah, alien would be a nice change) - who's everything you mention and, at the same time, a very long way away from our insular 21st-century Earth ideas of physically attractive.   Re role models, if I were watching TV or movie SF in general today as a young girl, I would be getting the message that tough, smart and all the rest are great, yeah, OK, as long as you're also totty.   They need to be hearing something different.  I'd love to see writers (and casting) thinking outside that particular box, although I have no great hope that it'll happen.  (OK, feminist rant over.)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: