The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 07:33:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Eleventh Doctor DVD Review: A Christmas Carol

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eleventh Doctor DVD Review: A Christmas Carol  (Read 148 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:41:39 pm »

Hello Friends,

Myself and fellow mod Peri-Peri have thought it might be a good idea in this thread to review some of the brilliant DVD releases in the Whoniverse. Whilst we will kick off the series, we would encourage everyone to pick a favourite DVD and write a review - otherwise you'll get me talking about food all the time lol! So, in what is hopefully the start of a regular stream of reviews, I  have decided to kick off reviewing the latest release from our friends at 2:Entertain, A Christmas Carol.

I must confess, I had mixed feelings about actually parting with my hard earned pennies for something that, at best I was going to watch twice or three times. Then I saw it had 'Doctor Who at the Proms' as an extra and then saw the price for the blu ray was a measly £10.93 from Amazon, so I took the plunge. With the money I saved, I decided to buy some nice biscuits and sit and re-watch the DVD and extras.

So for your £10 you get the feature presentation, the transmitted Confidential and the proms. You do not get commentary or, indeed any other features. I suppose those responsible would argue that confidential covers off 'The Making of...' type feature.

The biscuits I have bought are Chocolate Hob Nobs. For those unfamiliar, they are an oaty-based biscuit half covered in chocolate. They are the most robust biscuit for dunking known to mankind (I think they were developed as part of the Apollo programme to avoid crumbs in orbit). They cost £1.20 a packet. I could have 9 packets for the same price as my DVD.

Watching a christmas special at the end of January is a bit like hearing your parents have sex. It feels slightly dissonant and weird and you feel a bit awkward. But the story is a good, solid riff on the classic Dickens tale, Matt Smith just sparkles as the Doctor and in Michael Gambon bestrides the production like a colossus. I know many fans had some misgivings about Kathryn Jenkins but she does a job. There is actually very little of Amy and Rory, but what there is proves they continue to be good value. The actual story has been reviewed at considerable length in another thread so I won't wobble on too much more - suffice to say, I really enjoyed it.

The Confidential is, mercifully, not cut down. Unfortunately I have a little problem with Confidentials generally. They tend to be less about "the making of" and more about how brilliant everyone was. Moff will turn up and tell you how good MS is, MS will tell you how good The Mill are, KG will say how good the Moff was .... and so on. But there are some nice moments and it is actually worth the £10 alone to see Gambo's first performance at the read through. You can see MS visibly wilt as Gambo starts to speak (not that he needed to worry - Smith was sublime).

But as I fish around at the bottom of my teacup for a rogue half hob-nob which has sunk to the bottom, the Proms comes on. One of RTD's finest yet consistently undersold ideas is that of the Proms. I know Murray Gold has attracted some criticism from some of the barmier ends of fandom, but surely no one can argue with his work on Season 5 (The Doctor's theme is just incredible). The whole thing is wonderful and if you like the idea of the Proms and admire Murray Gold's work then, frankly, the DVD is worth the tenner just for this.

I bought the Blu Ray version, running it through an LG Player onto a Sony Bravia LCD, the features are all presented in lovely 1080p High Definition. The 5.1 mixing for the features are well balanced and all in all I think this probably represents good value for money. Certainly it is worth 9 packets of quality biscuits Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:49:44 pm »

Hobnobs totally rock. Especially the chocolate coated ones!

That aside though, I missed most of the Proms and its been over a week and I still don't have my DVD. For this I am extremely bitter and might just invest in some hobnobs as comfort food to make up for it
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »

Excellent review. Its good to see some in here for the DVD's.

The Proms are absolutely spellbinding. The music for series 5 has been some of the best in the shows history if you ask me and I don't understand why Murray Gold gets so much stick. He obviously isnt losing his touch!
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:03:06 pm »

Most excellent review!  I am now looking forward to this being released here even more.  I also think that the music for series 5 has been better than the music of the prior series.  Don't get me wrong, I love the soundtracks from series 1-4 but there is something about the orchestration of series 5 that seems to be up a notch, as it were. 

And now, I would now like some biscuits.  I have never had a Hob Nob but anything involving chocolate can't be bad.  Also, I think it would be great to start a 'food' thread somewhere Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Joedeane
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Paul McGann
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:44:46 pm »

Did it have the full prom, or the cut down hour long one???

I'm a little dissapointed they don't put much else on to be honest. I really like watching Who with the commentaries, and I think they could quite easily put some of the trailers or related content from the website (for example) on the disc too...
Report Spam   Logged

--
is hastily reviewing the new Doctor Who experience... keep up with it here: http://joedeane.blogspot.com/

follow my twitter if you like @joedeane !

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:15:16 am »

Did it have the full prom, or the cut down hour long one???

I'm a little dissapointed they don't put much else on to be honest. I really like watching Who with the commentaries, and I think they could quite easily put some of the trailers or related content from the website (for example) on the disc too...

It's the cropped version of the Proms which, I have to confess, I did find slightly disappointing - I was hoping for the extended version - but you can't have everything I guess. It's still great  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 12:40:56 pm »

This is todays featured review on the news page Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: