The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:25:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Now reading

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now reading  (Read 7401 times)
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:11 pm »

Been thinking of starting a reading thread for a while but I wasn't sure if anyone else would be interested. Finally decided that I'd never know if I didn't try. Plus I know some of you read DW books so I figured some of you read other stuff as well. Right? (Well if I'm wrong I'll happily sit in here alone!)

My reason ... I love books, always have. I've been through odd phases where I've not had a book on the go, but in recent months I've rediscovered my passion for it again & am powering my way through the massive pile I've accrued & the ones my friend lends me every time we catch up.

I figured in this thread we could tell everyone what we are currently reading & if people want to know more then they can simply ask. Would also be a great way of finding new books that you may never have heard of.

I've read tons of books over the years so I want to do a little list to get the ball rolling. Don't worry I won't go all the way back to the 80s - it's just everything I've read or re-read since the forum opened.

JK Rowling - Harry Potter novels (The Philosopher's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets, The Prisoner of Azkaban, The Goblet of Fire, The Order of the Phoenix, The Half-Blood Prince, The Deathly Hallows), The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them, Quidditch Through the Ages.

Frank Beddor - The Looking Glass Wars trilogy (The Looking Glass Wars, Seeing Redd, ArchEnemy), The LGW graphic novels (Hatter M, Mad With Wonder)

Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril, Summer Knight, Death Masks, Blood Rites)

Jonathan Stroud - The Bartimaeus Trilogy (The Amulet of Samarkand, The Golem's Eye, Ptolemy's Gate)

Eoin Colfer - Artemis Fowl novels (Artemis Fowl, The Arctic Incident, The Eternity Code, The Opal Deception)

Ok, maybe not so little but I do have a lot of spare time!

So ... what are you reading?

I'm currently reading Dead Beat (The Dresden Files Book Seven) by Jim Butcher  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:12 pm »

Ive just finished the first Sookie Stackhouse book and last night made a start on One Day by David Nicholls. They are about to make a movie of it as far as I am aware. I've not got far into it, but I love it so far. Its about a guy and a girl who sleep with each other on 15th July 1988 and then go their seperate ways, and then each chapter visits them on the same date every year for the next 20 years and shows how they both met at graduation on the night they had the one night stand and then how much their lives went off in different directions over the years.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:34:28 pm »

Good idea about a reading thread! I'm such a book worm!

In the middle of reading the Twilight Saga... Read the first three in about a week... just started Breaking Dawn last night!  Grin Loving it so far  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:52:08 pm »

I've just started Michael Macintyre's Autobiography. Its quite funny so far but I'm not very far in
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:00:29 pm »

A Lion Among Men, though its taking me months to get through it because I keep reading a bit then not reading again for ages
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:21:29 pm »

A Lion Among Men, though its taking me months to get through it because I keep reading a bit then not reading again for ages

That's by Gregory Maguire right? I've got that on my pile somewhere.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 09:29:57 pm »

That's right. I've read all his Oz books and they are brilliant. Don't bother with Confessions Of An Ugly Sister though. Its crap!

I'm currently reading The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and I will probably finish it tonight. Its heartbreaking
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 10:06:52 pm »

Some pretty interesting sounding reading materiam there, although I've now been put off of reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

At the moment I'm reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The inspiration behind the movie Let Me In. Haven't got that far in yet, but it's pretty good so far. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 10:12:47 pm »

Some pretty interesting sounding reading materiam there, although I've now been put off of reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

At the moment I'm reading Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The inspiration behind the movie Let Me In. Haven't got that far in yet, but it's pretty good so far. I'll let you know what I think when I've finished reading Smiley

Just to add to this, the original Swedish film Let The Right One In, is far, far better than the American remake. The book is pretty cool too. I won't spoil it for you, but the end is brilliant
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 10:23:37 pm »

Just to add to this, the original Swedish film Let The Right One In, is far, far better than the American remake. The book is pretty cool too. I won't spoil it for you, but the end is brilliant
I'm sure the Swedish original was great. I also suspect it's all in Swedish, which I neither speak nor understand. If I'm wrong (which has been known to happen on occasion), please feel free to correct me, and I apologise in advance.
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »

Well yes it's in Swedish, but there are subtitles lol
Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:03:23 am »

Well yes it's in Swedish, but there are subtitles lol
I've just reserved it at my local library. I'll check it out and then see how it compares to Let Me In when it's released in March.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:33:30 pm »

I need a new book to get stuck into. I used to read so much but haven't really bothered for ages. The last book I read though was P.S. I Love You
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »

Mitch Albom - The Five People You Meet In Heaven
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 11:37:29 pm »

Currently reading Stephen Fry - The Fry Chronicles, George Elliot - Middlemarch and the DW novels James Swallow - Peacemaker and Peter Darvill-Evans - Asylum.

Never quite seemed to aquire the knack for reading one book at a time, no idea why. I just find it much more fun to read a bit of one, put it down, read a bit of another and so on.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »

Onto the fifth Artemis Fowl book now - The Lost Colony by Eoin Colfer.

Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 01:23:47 pm »

Artemis Fowl & the Time Paradox (Limited Edition also featuring the short story LEPrecon) by Eoin Colfer.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 11:21:27 pm »

That's right. I've read all his Oz books and they are brilliant. Don't bother with Confessions Of An Ugly Sister though. Its crap!

I'm currently reading The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas and I will probably finish it tonight. Its heartbreaking

Ah, see. I love the musical Wicked but couldn't get through the book.

I'm currently reading The Hunger Games (Suzanne Collins) and absolutely LOVING it. So much so I've already got the next 2 books lined up to be read. Normally I stop after a chapter at night as I'm tired, but I find myself not even noticing when a chapter ends, I just keep on reading. It's brilliant.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 11:58:10 pm »

Robert Rankin - The Da Da De Da Da Code.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 09:32:52 am »

Just started the good old classic "Les Misérables" by Victor Hugo.... might take me a while!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: