The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 08:33:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Should RTD Step Down?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should RTD Step Down?  (Read 522 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: February 05, 2011, 10:49:17 am »

In a recent interview (which is on here somewhere) RTD mentions how he is looking forward to moving away from SciFi and hopes that he leaves Torchwood on a high after Miracle Day, in a goos position for whichever writer comes in and takes over. It sounds a lot like he will be stepping down from the show after the current series, but now that the show has left Wales and most of the main cast are gone, do you think it is a good idea for him to go too? Or do you think that someone taking over at this point could change the show and its direction entirely?
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:28 pm »

Can it change much more? Tongue

I think if he left I would be just as curious at the changes made and I think the shows purpose is clear enough that it can't change too much, just as long as it isn't Americanised too much...
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »

Can it change much more? Tongue

I think if he left I would be just as curious at the changes made and I think the shows purpose is clear enough that it can't change too much, just as long as it isn't Americanised too much...

I'd go along with that.  After all, Doctor Who has survived numerous changes of leadership - sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but it's evened out overall.  I'd agree, though, I hope it doesn't get too Americanised - there are plenty of American shows I love, but it wouldn't work in this case.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:33:54 pm »

Yeah, I reckon 2cajuman2 & Nyki summed it up best right there.

My only concern - a generalised one really - is that with all the American additions etc Captain Jack will seem much less of an outsider - an American in Wales seemed way more "alien" IMO, if that makes sense?
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 09:20:18 pm »

Hmm.... Possibly but this is Jack and he doesn't really fit anywhere.... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: David Tennant
Favourite Companion: Jack Harkness, Mickey Smith, Donna Noble, Rory Williams

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 03:36:33 am »

I'm one of those people who still won't quite let go of Ianto but I've gotten more used to the idea of the new show.
I suppose I wouldn't mind if RTD left the show if someone who already wrote for the show or DW took over. Maybe Steven Moffat or Mark Gatiss were the ones to take it over.
few my friends and I decided that if Moffat wrote the three best shows on TV all would be well in the world...
I just dunno... If someone else takes it over it will be as bad as them bringing the new season to America. It'd be a whole new show with familiar faces, y'know? To me it almost seems like Russell likes making his shows big and gaining a load of loyal fans just to disappoint them by ruining and then leaving.

Does anyone know if Chris Chibnall is still working on the show, because he did the best episodes and /that/ would be fantastic.
Report Spam   Logged

"Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string Everything, absolutely everything! No phones! Phones all broken. Hello is anyone there? No, 'cause the phones aren't working!" ^.^
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 04:31:33 am »

Nah, Torchwood isn't for Steven or Mark.... I'm not saying they couldn't write it...but I don't think it is their true territory and I know that The Moff has more than enough work atm with dw and Sherlock, I mean he is letting Gatiss take charge of Sherlock this series isn't he?

No, I would be a lot happier if they both steered clear of Torchwood and concentrated on making Doctor Who and Sherlock marvellous....

Ack, my fav Torchwood Eps are RTD.....Erm... I think it would be one of the current series writers and they have a few newbies to Torchwood don't they...  Undecided

*mutters* S2 was the best series in terms of character development (ignoring living dead owen and martha) so S2 is Torchwood. You know? We loved them all, we were happy with them, laughing, crying with them etc and then Everything Changes (couldnt resist) so, we shall move on and let the show grow.... *sleeps* Day One of the New World of Torchwood, we are all waiting for Miracle Day

Ok, I'll stop Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 04:33:53 am »

Though (after wiki-ing Chris) he seems like the obvious choice....

He seems to have had a huge say in almost all of it...

I'm tired, its half 4 in the morn, I'm allowed to be unclear of my brain Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:48:38 am »

You're probably right about Steven or Mark but still.... lol

What?! XD You didn't like Countrycide, Cyberwoman, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, or Fragments? Chris did like the best episodes.
He seems to have really been the one to do the show... Though he did kill Tosh and Owen... ">.>

S2 was /the/ best. The character development and all but also the episodes seemed to be better to me. *nodnod* I wish they'd kept with that a bit longer....
Arggh... Miracle Day. Too many mixed feelings. >_<

And *petpet* s'perfectly fine at 4am. XP
Report Spam   Logged

"Mobiles, landlines, tin cans with bits of string Everything, absolutely everything! No phones! Phones all broken. Hello is anyone there? No, 'cause the phones aren't working!" ^.^
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:12 pm »

haha, I never know who eps are by Smiley

No Chris does have some of my Fav Eps Grin But RTD wrote my absolute Fav Wink

Meh, characters need to die *runs away* I said it was the best series! I wish they had done another 13ep one and not done COE  Cry

I cant believe I let myself do so many geeky things in one of those paragraphs  Cheesy haha
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:26 am »

Daww I only know Chris's and RTD's. >.>

Well what one by RTD is your fave then? O.o

I guess they do kinda but.... not them. <.< Rhys! .. no wait *hugs Kai* Sowwy, Kai.... They /really/ really really should have. CoE bombed and a 13 ep one would have just been better anyway.

haha whatcha mean? The DW, Sherlock, and TW?
Report Spam   Logged

Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 06:20:30 am »

Like I've said before in another thread, I think in many ways RTD/Julie Gardner have used the TW brand as a way of becoming household names in America.  They see it as a stepping stone perhaps, so I wasn't too surprised by Rusty's comments on BBC Wales News this week if I'm honest.

There aren't many writers/showrunner wannabes that I can see going over to America to take over TW unless it becomes incredibly successful, and on Starz I can't see it getting more than a million or two viewers at most.  Which means that it will probably go to someone like Jane Espenson (who has written most of Miracle Day) rather than another Brit writer.  Not being a Chibnall fan a big part of me sighs with relief if I'm honest Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:54 pm »

haha Jane seems cool? (dont know much about her)

*consults wiki* I'd like to retract that statement....RTD had written almost zero eps... I did like his COE though and I did love Day One, Day One is still one of my favs....

What? I rarely know the writer of an ep.... *looks innocent*

So, fav Eps go to Chris, RTD and Catherine Tregenna... Right, thats cleared up Tongue

Oh and I meant the one where I kept using Episode names casually in a sentence Wink
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 03:59:41 am »

Awww poor Chibnall. XD
I don't know much about Jane.... But it does look like it would go to her...

I usually don't know who the writers are either, just with TW... I forget which episodes the woman wrote, and RTD really should have written more but the way CoE went I guess it's better he hadn't.. >.>
I never cared for CoE... Even when I wasn't a huge Ianto fan.

Oh alright... But stuff like that is fun. XD
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »

Day One as in Series 1....I did think COE was a great bit of writing and a great bit of acting, just not Torchwood....

Cheesy I love being Geeky, but I think there is a line Wink
Report Spam   Logged

??Cheeses + rising!
EmoSpaceWhale
Hatchling

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:46 am »

Ahhh... I see.
It could have been it's own show, perhaps, with a quick background thingy and then all new actors and ect.... Good writing, but not Torchwood. No.

For me the line is when it gets to the point I've covered too many fandoms and it's just pointless talking anymore.
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 06:59:01 pm »

I think if he wants to leave for his own personal reasons then that's fine, but I don't think he should step down for any other reason. He is still doing a brilliant job and telling wonderful stories so he should stick around as long as he enjoys doing it
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: