The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 06:28:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Fourth Doctor DVD Review: Meglos

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fourth Doctor DVD Review: Meglos  (Read 82 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:47 pm »

Recently released by those fine operatives at 2Entertain the next DVD review I present....

The bumpf on the back of the box gives us an indication of what a little treat we're in for.....

On Tigella, two opposing factions are irrevocably divided over one fundamental issue: the Dodecahedron, a mysterious artefact which provides the entire planet’s energy. With the Savants and the Deons locked in a crippling stalemate, and their civilisation on the brink of collapse, the Tigellan leader Zastor seeks the Doctor’s help. But the Doctor and Romana have been trapped aboard the TARDIS in a timeloop by Meglos, the last of the Zolpha Thurans, who will stop at nothing to steal back the awesome power of the Dodecahedron...

This story leaps out from the retained memories of my 8 year old consciousness. I remember the Cactus Doctor. It was such an amazingly strong image. I didn't know that the actress who had played Barbara Wright was making a comeback to the show that she had so beautifully graced or that the man who played the kidnapped earthling was also an accomplished playwright. Nor did I care. It had a scary cactus baddie and to an 8 year old, that was what I got fixated with. Therefore, watching this story was always going to be a bittersweet moment as I slew one of those monsters from my childhood but also realised that a little part of my childhood had died in the battle. For the record, it is rubbish being a 38 year old. I loved being an 8 year old though, and Meglos was part of the reason why.

Now for the mature reflection.... The story is not at all in keeping with the more rigorous approach to scripts that JNT and Chris Bidmead introduced. The supporting cast is very good with some real strong performances from the supporting cast. Jacqueline Hill was radiant, regal and a lesson to casting directors everywhere about finding parts for actresses over 50. Bill Fraser and Frederick Treeves are both splendid and look every inch the time-served theatre actors. Poor Edward Underdown (Zastor) looks like he's on his last legs but makes it through to the end with a lovely little performance. The effects make use of a new camera synchro tool called 'Scene-Sync' which means the CSO effects are much better than in previous adventures. The score is good, the costumes are interesting and generally the whole thing looks nicely put together

The DVD itself is another fine 2Entertain package. There is a lovely 'making of' where the two writers gad-about London reminding themselves of how they came up with the idea and also includes a meeting with Chris Bidmead and a bit of matey banter in there. There is a very nerdy explanation of Entropy by a very clever physicist which pleased me greatly. Perhaps the cherry on the cake is the 10 minute tribute to Jackie Hill containing interviews with her husband and friends. A rare beam of light is shed into her world and our world is all the better for it. A lovely and fitting tribute which is (in my not-so-humble opinion) worth the money for the DVD alone.

In conclusion, Meglos has the feel of a Douglas Adams romp about it. Completists will want to own it simply because it is the final missing DVD from Tom Baker's last season. In terms of the rest of the season, it jars as being a little incongruous. It is fun - but it never really decides exactly what message or theme it is looking to promote. I think it is safe to say Meglos will never win any prizes amongst fans for favourite stories but it will almost certainly never be on a 'most hated' list. And i think that rather nicely sums Meglos up. It's not the best, it's not the worst and it has some good moments. I don't see it earning any new converts to Doctor Who, but then again, I am not an 8 yr old boy.....   

Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

I often find this story gets a lot more stick than it deserves. Its not the best of DW, or even of the era, but it is a great little story with a superb cast, and for that alone it should be more fondly remembered, especially given some of the stories that came before and after it.

I have to say though, the biggest excitement for me with this release was knowing that the Jacqueline Hill feature would be on it. Sadly she died years ago and so wasn't really ever able to have any input to the features and bonus stuff, but even still very little about her has ever been put on the releases. Its about time she had some bonus material dedicated to her, its just a shame they waited for Meglos to come along before doing it when there was lots of opportunity to highlight the actress (and Barbara) on the First Doctor releases.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:11 pm »

I totally agree with you about Jacqueline Hill. I think she died before realising how much she was loved and appreciated. I have said elsewhere that if you are looking for a template for how woman should be portrayed in Doctor Who then you need look no further. She had this wonderful dignity and seriousness which meant that even if she was acting out one of the weaker stories, she added both conviction and truth. I am utterly in awe of how she made the role her own and the ten-minute featurette is a lovely, fitting tribute.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:09 pm »

Ah Meglos. Such a silly story but I still can't help loving it. Chris provides another great and spot on review with this one, and I have to agree with you both about the JH extra. Its brilliant and well overdue.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47:51 pm »

I'm not a huge lover of Meglos, but that Jaqueline Hill feature is worth the price alone. Totally brilliant. Only wish it was longer
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:49 pm »

Was never really a fan of Meglos but I do love JH and like The Doc said, it's just a shame they waited so long to showcase her
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: