The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 04:48:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Rate & Review A Good Man Goes To War

Poll
Question: Rate...
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 16 (59.3%)
4/5 - Near perfect - 8 (29.6%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 1 (3.7%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 2 (7.4%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 27

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Rate & Review A Good Man Goes To War  (Read 1057 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »

I absolutely loved it! Loved, loved, loved it! I didnt mind the loose ends that Victor Mentions above, because like he said, Moff will probably sort that in later eps. I'll be more concerned if they arent resolved by ep 13
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 12:22:08 am »

AMAZING!!!!

Even if I'd predicted River was Amy's daughter after episode one, it was still a nice reveal - when I heard the name Melody I thought " Shocked SONG!" and knew I was right from then.

Action packed, very spacey (reminded me of Star Wars, but in a good way), lots of familiar faces...

Wow. JFW.

Exams be damned, I need a rewatch.

5/5
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 12:28:21 am »

AMAZING!!!!

Even if I'd predicted River was Amy's daughter after episode one, it was still a nice reveal - when I heard the name Melody I thought " Shocked SONG!" and knew I was right from then.

Action packed, very spacey (reminded me of Star Wars, but in a good way), lots of familiar faces...

Wow. JFW.

5/5

Yay! I've been waiting for this out of you for six weeks. I knew you'd crack eventually lol Tongue

Glad you enjoyed Smiley

Oh and I ain't stalking you or anything. I always check what everyone thought of the episodes Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 12:30:51 am »

AMAZING!!!!

Wow. JFW.

5/5

Yay! I've been waiting for this out of you for six weeks. I knew you'd crack eventually lol Tongue

Glad you enjoyed Smiley

Oh and I ain't stalking you or anything. I always check what everyone thought of the episodes Cheesy

Well, I'm glad I made an impression Smiley Smiley

I thought the season was a bit mixed, but with the opening two parter, last weeks second half and now this? I can definitely look past TCOTBS and TRF
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 12:37:10 am »

It always interests me. I don't care if a person hates an episode I love or loves an episode I hate and stuff like that, but I always like to see how peoples opinions change from week to week and yours and a couple of others have stood out. I quite liked the pirate episode on airing but as time passes I find more to dislike with it and in comparison to stories like this it really doesnt hold up
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 12:39:13 am »

It always interests me. I don't care if a person hates an episode I love or loves an episode I hate and stuff like that, but I always like to see how peoples opinions change from week to week and yours and a couple of others have stood out. I quite liked the pirate episode on airing but as time passes I find more to dislike with it and in comparison to stories like this it really doesnt hold up

Well, it's the only one so far I haven't yet rewatched. I was just thoroughly bored throughout and I still have no urge to rewatch it. I even rewatched The Rebel Flesh and I disliked that initially even more.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 12:47:53 am »

See I loved that story first time out and then even more once part two had aired. It was my favourite of the series until this week. A week at the top spot isn't so bad though.

COTBS is the only episode I havent rewatched.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 11:57:03 am »

I gave it full marks. There was practically nothing in that episode that I could fault
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 01:06:14 pm »

I went with 5/5. I had really high expectations for the episode and it lived up to them all. There wasn't much of a cliffhanger but I am glad of that because it makes the split less agonising now. There were some wonderful characters introduced with great bits of dialogue throughout and I was laughing then sobbing then happy then sad then excited then scared and it was all one big awesome rollercoaster of an episode
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2011, 01:50:41 pm »

I absolutely loved it - T-C has covered most of my reasons why as well so I don't need to repeat them. I just re-watched it & I'm bawling (I watched it with a friend last night & while I welled up I managed to hold the actual tears in - was a relief to let them out today!)

Full marks from me  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

There were a couple of questions that were left hanging, but I don't mind that so much. It might be that Moff, being the old pro he is, realises that (on the strength of this episode) he will have some more episodes to write so may be leaving a few dangling ends to clear up when he gets writers block.

I thought it was only me that did that Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 05:03:51 pm »

Last nights episode completely blew me away. I have to admit I went into a little sulk just before the end because I thought River and the Doctor were going to turn out to be the same person which I think Moff wanted us to believe, but thankfully that came to nothing. I didn't like the bit where the baby turned into Flesh, but being eight months pregnant I think any sort of baby story like that is bound to make me feel a little uneasy. Other than that though I loved every minute of it
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »

4 from me.
Would have been a 5, but the revelation about River was just, well, crap, IMO.

This is exactly what I was about to write.  Amazing episode, but I was extremely disappointed in River's identity. 

So what now - the Doctor can't change River's past, so Amy and Rory essentially lost their baby.  And the Doctor's relationship with River now just seems - yuck, almost incestuous.  I wouldn't expect him to be so giddy when he found out who she is. 

I haven't seen the Confidential yet, maybe this will be discussed, but for now it's left a lousy taste in my mouth.

Any chance it's a Moffat red herring? Otherwise whatever she whispers to Ten originally wouldn't have any impact on him, would it? (unless she whispered his real name, that was a theory, wasn't it?)

She did whisper his name; Ten said so to her when she was about to fry herself.

Report Spam   Logged
davecabs
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Sarah-Jane Smith

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 11:35:16 pm »

I wouldn't expect him to be so giddy when he found out who she is. 

I have a feeling that this identity reveal WAS a red herring.  The Doctor seemed to have a bizarre reaction to this revelation and I wonder if this is not the real identity of River Song.  It just doesn't seem to be a great revelation after years of waiting.  Particularly as SM said he knew who River Song was before he created the character of Amy Pond.  SM also commented that at the season break the audience may think they know who River Song is but they may not be right.  I think the second part of the season may have more revelations.
Report Spam   Logged
Miss Wright
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/One

View Profile
Level 4 Second year Anniversary Apple User
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 12:53:11 am »

I gave it a 4/5, just because I don't give a 5/5. River being their daughter I am fine with, but it did seem a little too easy for Moff, especially since everyone saw it coming. But I do see how that identity makes sense for her character. And there was frankly too many "allies" coming back. A few less and it would have been good.

Sorry, that made me sound negative. I loved it, and laughed very loudly at Matt's kissy noises!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2011, 01:06:40 am »

4 from me.
Would have been a 5, but the revelation about River was just, well, crap, IMO.

This is exactly what I was about to write.  Amazing episode, but I was extremely disappointed in River's identity. 

So what now - the Doctor can't change River's past, so Amy and Rory essentially lost their baby.  And the Doctor's relationship with River now just seems - yuck, almost incestuous.  I wouldn't expect him to be so giddy when he found out who she is. 

I haven't seen the Confidential yet, maybe this will be discussed, but for now it's left a lousy taste in my mouth.

Any chance it's a Moffat red herring? Otherwise whatever she whispers to Ten originally wouldn't have any impact on him, would it? (unless she whispered his real name, that was a theory, wasn't it?)

She did whisper his name; Ten said so to her when she was about to fry herself.

Thanks for the reminder, Dak.
Truth be told I'm not a fan of those eps so have only seen them once or twice.

Yeah, good point - if you're over 900 years old, is it really a cool thing to get all giddy about winching your best friends' daughter? I think not. Nor is it cool for all the flirting, the "hello sweetie"'s and "my loves", now I think about it!

I now think it is a red herring, just for those rather creepy points I've mentioned!
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2011, 07:58:16 am »

I now think it is a red herring, just for those rather creepy points I've mentioned! 

I sure hope you're right, or at least it plays out better than we think it will later this season. 

Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:53 am »

If anyone's read the atrocious Twilight series (if you haven't, you shouldn't) and Breaking Dawn... anyone getting Jacob/Renesme flashbacks?

Yep. Pretty wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 09:52:26 am »

Hahaha, nice one Joshua!

Actually it was mentioned to me on Twitter that Moffat originally planned for River to be Donna's kid?
Dunno how much truth there is to that.

Rule #1: Moffat lies.

I don't want her to be the kid of any companion, just let her be a kick ass sci fi bird who fancies the Doc.
Why does EVERY Nu Who plot have to revolve around the companion(s)??
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »

Thanks for the reminder, Dak.
Truth be told I'm not a fan of those eps so have only seen them once or twice.

Yeah, good point - if you're over 900 years old, is it really a cool thing to get all giddy about winching your best friends' daughter? I think not. Nor is it cool for all the flirting, the "hello sweetie"'s and "my loves", now I think about it!

Well, I don't know about that - that seems a very human reaction.  It could work the opposite way, actually - if he's 900 years old and doesn't have any strong conception of "the present", why would a precise human generation make any difference?  It could just seem natural to the Doctor that she's a mature, sexy woman at the same time as being Amy & Rory's daughter.  When he was snogging Reinette in TGITF, it didn't seem to bother him that she'd been a little girl five minutes ago.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: