Can only a British actor cut it?

<< < (4/5) > >>

MandyDuchovney:
Quote from: Vampyros Adric on February 21, 2011, 11:09:34 pm

But for me the acting (and chemistry) comes first, second and third - I'll worry about the nationality later

Does this mean that you would be accepting of an accent other than British for the Doctor?

Quote from: Iceman on February 21, 2011, 03:43:40 pm

His name is James Roday. He plays "Shawn Spencer" in the show Psych. He would make a fantastic Doctor.

I agree - I would be more than interested to see his take on the role but how's his british accent? :D

Iceman:
Quote from: MandyDuchovney on February 24, 2011, 12:22:42 pm

Quote from: Iceman on February 21, 2011, 03:43:40 pm

His name is James Roday. He plays "Shawn Spencer" in the show Psych. He would make a fantastic Doctor.

I agree - I would be more than interested to see his take on the role but how's his british accent? :D

Good for an American, bad to be a convincing Brit. lol

Vampyros Adric:
Quote from: MandyDuchovney on February 24, 2011, 12:22:42 pm

Does this mean that you would be accepting of an accent other than British for the Doctor?

This is a very personal thing but I genuinely wouldn't mind about the accent. For me, the key is the actor; is he good enough to make me believe I am watching an ancient, kind, genius, childlike being and does he have that magical chemistry.

That said, I do think it would be an extraordinarily brave production decision to go overseas for a Doctor as there are many UK actors who I think could fulfil the role... 

Nyki:
I agree with that in principle, and I'd have no objection, for instance, to the Doctor with an Aussie accent.  My concern is the steamroller nature the US entertainment industry tends to have (often with the compliance of audiences here) so that a Doctor with an American accent would be far more likely to lead to Americanisation (or would that be Americanization) of the show, than an Australian would lead to Ozzification

MandyDuchovney:
Quote from: Vampyros Adric on February 24, 2011, 11:19:26 pm

That said, I do think it would be an extraordinarily brave production decision to go overseas for a Doctor as there are many UK actors who I think could fulfil the role... 

Have to agree - to my mind if such a decision is ever made it will... for me anyway.... herald what Nyki touches on/shows concerns for in his post.

It's fun to speculate and debate the possibilities but faced with the reality I think I would be very much against the move.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page