The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 11:30:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Worlds In Time (MMORPG)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds In Time (MMORPG)  (Read 1115 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »

I managed to have a go of this this morning and unfortunately I have to say I wasn't impressed. I can overlook the graphics and things like that, but the game runs at an alarmingly slow speed and slowed the rest of my computer down as well. The character options at the beginning of the game are seriously limited. You have a choice between two sexes, and four heads for each sex. You can then change skin colour and hair colour. The character is then in his pyjamas unless you clock up enough hours to change clothes or pay for the privilege.

Actual gameplay is really, really slow. There is no free-play (at least not that I came accross), you just move to where you are told. You can move freely around rooms, but because there is nothing to do in these rooms other than whats instructed, there is little point in doing so. To go from one place to another you have to click on an arrow that appears on the screen, pointing you in the direction you need to be. Point and click is all well and good. Some of the best games have been point and click, but that isn't what this game was sold as.

Chatter amongst the characters is long and boring, with no way of speeding through or moving away from it. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that you speak to the characters whether you like it or not. The Doctor is the worst. They worked so hard trying to make him 'out there' that you have to watch (the on screen script, no voices) him rabbit on about rubbish before you can get any actual info from him or move on with whatever it is that needs doing in the first place.

The puzzles and mini games aren't great. I only got around to doing three types before I jacked it in. The first is a shooter game where you have to match the coloured ball you are shooting onto a mixed group of balls to make them dissapear. Usually in these types of games the batch that you are shooting at moves towards the screen to put a bit of difficulty into the game, but this one stayed still so I fail to see the point. Another was a bit trickier. It was a circuit board that you had to creat from A to B without leaving any loose ends. Not difficult once you know how, but with limited instructions I have to admit I failed it the first time. Nothing happened though. No penalty, not even a sign to say I failed. I just had to press the 'X' and start it again. Maybe I didn't even actually fail? The other puzzle I came accross was a bit like Tetris, only it made no sense whatsoever. Coloured blocks were falling from the sky so I was trying to match them up and make lines, but instead of dissapearing like they would in Tetris, they just stayed there, sometimes merging to make bigger blocks. Every now and again some of them, regardless of colour coordination, would then blow up. This was repeated for about 5 minutes until a sign came on the screen to say I had passed.

As for the MMO side of things, perhaps it was a quiet day, but I didn't come across a single other player. That said though, I don't really understand how I would. It all moves at a very uniformed pace and so unless we were starting at the same time then I wouldn't have been able to see anyone else. At least not in the bits I was playing. I thought perhaps I had the wrong end of the stick and that although it's all on one server the game is just straight solo, but there were options to play as teams and to call other players or whatnot. Maybe, like some online games the other players are there but you just can't see them? Though again, I fail to see the point in that.

The fact of it is, though, that this game is free and for that alone it is worth looking into. It's not a particularly great game but it is also in the beta stages and so when it launches officially it may have been tweaked enough that it becomes more enjoyable. The graphics aren't amazing, but they are pretty much what you would expect and they are decent enough that they don't distract. The biggest shame though is that considering the wide age range of Doctor Who fans, and the average age range of MMO players, the makers seem to have ignored this and the game seems firmly targeted towards 7-12 year olds.

I will give it another go at some point, probably once it's out of beta, and hopefully it will improve, but if the testing stage is anything like the finished product will be then I don't see this taking off.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: