The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:32:57 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Worlds In Time (MMORPG)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds In Time (MMORPG)  (Read 1114 times)
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »

BBC Worldwide have announced a Doctor Who massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), free-to-play for all, titled Doctor Who: Worlds in Time. So a bit like WOW, but smaller with a bit more time travel.

This is from the PRESS OFFICE:

Doctor Who: Worlds in Time will be a free-to-play multiplayer online game that invites players to save the universe by using their wits to solve time-bending puzzles and pulse-pounding challenges. Three Rings is the ideal team for this groundbreaking creative partnership. Not only are they visionaries in the online gaming space, they are lifelong Doctor Who fans with a passion for delivering the level of quality that our players will expect and deserve.

It is developed by Three Rings, whose CEO - Daniel James - said:
Three Rings is delighted and honored to have the opportunity to create an online game based on Doctor Who. Our goal with 'Words in Time' is to capture the imaginative spirit and depth of the series, whilst being fun and easy to play for all ages.

I'm in!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »

Me too! Well, I will give it a shot anyway. Its a big undertaking and lots of MMO's fail because they don't have a good enough content. This may have limited characters due to licenses and could end up being one of those 'DW in name' games but has actually very little to do with the show. Will be worth a look though for sure
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 09:46:30 pm »

Awesome news. Lets hope it ends up better than the Wii game
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:05:57 pm »

This is awesome. How can people around here not be excited by this? I love stuff like WOW so this would be awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:52:18 pm »

I will be playing. It will be interesting to see how they pull it off. I don't imagine that the Doctor will be a playable character which is a shame. Cant have 5000 of them running around though I guess. Will probably be someone you meet on a quest or something.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 11:26:46 am »

From the EVP of Digital Entertainment at BBC Worldwide:

In general, players will be able to help the Doctor stave off the forces of evil by thwarting the plots of classic villains from throughout the show's history. There will be a variety of quest types requiring different skills to keep the game constantly fresh and exciting. The acronym in the name Worlds In Time says it all. The game embraces the Doctor's philosophy of using cleverness and wit above violence whenever possible. This allows us to create an innovative and interesting gameplay experience where players have to work together and be creative to solve problems, battle the forces of evil, and help save time and space. They also get to have a laugh
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 12:35:21 pm »

It's starting to sound a lot better. I really hope it takes off. These kind of games usually rely on lots of people playing regularly, especially if they are going to keep it free
Report Spam   Logged

Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 07:10:46 pm »

Yea that comment makes it sound like it will be on a much larger scale that I first though. I'll be happy playing either way but if I get to go to other planets or fly the TARDIS I will be over the moon Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:06:52 am »

Is there any word yet on when this will be released?
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 02:57:49 pm »

I managed to have a go of this this morning and unfortunately I have to say I wasn't impressed. I can overlook the graphics and things like that, but the game runs at an alarmingly slow speed and slowed the rest of my computer down as well. The character options at the beginning of the game are seriously limited. You have a choice between two sexes, and four heads for each sex. You can then change skin colour and hair colour. The character is then in his pyjamas unless you clock up enough hours to change clothes or pay for the privilege.

Actual gameplay is really, really slow. There is no free-play (at least not that I came accross), you just move to where you are told. You can move freely around rooms, but because there is nothing to do in these rooms other than whats instructed, there is little point in doing so. To go from one place to another you have to click on an arrow that appears on the screen, pointing you in the direction you need to be. Point and click is all well and good. Some of the best games have been point and click, but that isn't what this game was sold as.

Chatter amongst the characters is long and boring, with no way of speeding through or moving away from it. This wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that you speak to the characters whether you like it or not. The Doctor is the worst. They worked so hard trying to make him 'out there' that you have to watch (the on screen script, no voices) him rabbit on about rubbish before you can get any actual info from him or move on with whatever it is that needs doing in the first place.

The puzzles and mini games aren't great. I only got around to doing three types before I jacked it in. The first is a shooter game where you have to match the coloured ball you are shooting onto a mixed group of balls to make them dissapear. Usually in these types of games the batch that you are shooting at moves towards the screen to put a bit of difficulty into the game, but this one stayed still so I fail to see the point. Another was a bit trickier. It was a circuit board that you had to creat from A to B without leaving any loose ends. Not difficult once you know how, but with limited instructions I have to admit I failed it the first time. Nothing happened though. No penalty, not even a sign to say I failed. I just had to press the 'X' and start it again. Maybe I didn't even actually fail? The other puzzle I came accross was a bit like Tetris, only it made no sense whatsoever. Coloured blocks were falling from the sky so I was trying to match them up and make lines, but instead of dissapearing like they would in Tetris, they just stayed there, sometimes merging to make bigger blocks. Every now and again some of them, regardless of colour coordination, would then blow up. This was repeated for about 5 minutes until a sign came on the screen to say I had passed.

As for the MMO side of things, perhaps it was a quiet day, but I didn't come across a single other player. That said though, I don't really understand how I would. It all moves at a very uniformed pace and so unless we were starting at the same time then I wouldn't have been able to see anyone else. At least not in the bits I was playing. I thought perhaps I had the wrong end of the stick and that although it's all on one server the game is just straight solo, but there were options to play as teams and to call other players or whatnot. Maybe, like some online games the other players are there but you just can't see them? Though again, I fail to see the point in that.

The fact of it is, though, that this game is free and for that alone it is worth looking into. It's not a particularly great game but it is also in the beta stages and so when it launches officially it may have been tweaked enough that it becomes more enjoyable. The graphics aren't amazing, but they are pretty much what you would expect and they are decent enough that they don't distract. The biggest shame though is that considering the wide age range of Doctor Who fans, and the average age range of MMO players, the makers seem to have ignored this and the game seems firmly targeted towards 7-12 year olds.

I will give it another go at some point, probably once it's out of beta, and hopefully it will improve, but if the testing stage is anything like the finished product will be then I don't see this taking off.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 05:56:53 pm »

From what I have read it takes a while for the multiplayer stuff to open up, so you probably just didn't get that far. Reviews of it have generally been mixed but I think the further you go the better it gets and the more difficult it becomes. You might just be in the 'tutorial' stage, which I think isn't actually announced as such until you have finished it. I'd say to keep going Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 11:17:59 am »

Yea I probably jumped the gun with it a bit. I'm going to give it a proper go again soon without getting too frustrated again Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 03:19:48 pm »

Is this just for the UK or can we get it in the Republic, because it's not letting me sign up Sad
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »

Is this just for the UK or can we get it in the Republic, because it's not letting me sign up Sad

I thought it was available worldwide. Maybe it's just because it's in a trial stage that not everyone can register.
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »

That would make sense I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:58 pm »

This came out of beta and officially launched today for playing all over the world
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:28:44 pm »

I had a go but I can't say I was all that keen. It's difficult to navigate and ridiculously slow. I expected more from it, to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: