The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 10:56:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Series 7 & Matt Smith Confirmed

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Series 7 & Matt Smith Confirmed  (Read 549 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »

Sam Hodges, Head of Communications for BBC1, Fiction, Daytime and HD at the BBC has confirmed on Twitter this afternoon that Doctor Who has indeed been commissioned for a further fourteen episodes, with Matt Smith continuing in the role. Head writer Stephen Moffat re-iterated:

14 eps + Matt DEFINITELY. I've got a plan and I'm NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS.

I don't think anyone ever doubted it, but its nice that the BBC didn't keep anyone hanging. So we know we at least have until Christmas Day 2012, though I doubt it will end then just 11 months before the big 5 0
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »

I didn't doubt it at all - at least not about the show coming back. I guess it's always a possibility that the star will move on.

Twitter went into a strange meltdown about it coming to an end earlier (I was watching not joining in!) - I'm guessing this is why they felt the need to put out an announcement.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:21:57 pm »

I think it was probably damage control because of that Private Eye article. Its good that they didn't keep us waiting too long though and I think it will make sense as well given that filming should begin again soon
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:46:02 pm »

*clicks 'Like' button*  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:33:27 am »

The Sun are miles behind again. They have also proven without a shoadow of a doubt how much stuff they make up and pluck out of thin air:

Plans for a new Dr Who series are in crisis as the show approaches its 50th birthday, The Sun can reveal. Boss Steven Moffat wants to make two "specials" of the hit instead of a long run.

Rumours about the BBC1 show's future circulated after one of its three main producers, Piers Wenger, quit last month.

The Beeb yesterday played down ideas of a rift between Moffat - who axed the Daleks - and BBC controller Danny Cohen. A BBC source said: "Steven's the boss. At this stage we have no idea if there will be two episodes or if there will be ten."

They then updated with:

Bosses have now commissioned 14 new episodes with Matt Smith as the timelord. But they've been given no timeline as to when they will air, despite 2012 being Dr Who's 50th anniversary.

That last paragraph they added makes it sound like Moff is holding the episodes hostage and he will decide when they are made and go to air. They should also remember that 2012 is not the 50th anniversary.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Jamdog
Earthling
Favourite Doctor: Richard E Grant
Favourite Companion: Astrid Peth

View Profile
Level 4 Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 12:20:24 pm »

Haha, this is why I don't read The Sun...
Quote from: The Sun
Plans for a new Dr Who series are in crisis as the show approaches its 50th birthday, The Sun can reveal.
Dr Who is not in crisis, it has never been stronger!  It's the BBC's flagship show, and it's 49th birthday is next year!
Boss Steven Moffat wants to make two "specials" of the hit instead of a long run.
No he doesn't - RTD did that in his final year, and most fans were annoyed by it.

Rumours about the BBC1 show's future circulated after one of its three main producers, Piers Wenger, quit last month.
Yes, Piers left, but for a better job as an executive with Film4.  There is no animosity there, he didn't storm out due to creative differences!

The Beeb yesterday played down ideas of a rift between Moffat - who axed the Daleks - and BBC controller Danny Cohen. A BBC source said: "Steven's the boss. At this stage we have no idea if there will be two episodes or if there will be ten."
It might be filmed in Cardiff, but there's no rift that I know of...
Axed the Daleks? What?  I thought he made new super-Daleks!
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 12:24:49 pm »

Thrilled to hear that Matt will be back.  Looking forward to see more from him Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 06:21:48 pm »

Also, he didn't actually axe the Daleks, just said they wouldn't be back for a while.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:28:39 pm »

Well when have The Sun ever let the facts get in the way of a good story?
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 06:54:56 pm »

I bet half of the papers were gearing up yesterday to print the same story after that Private Eye article, but most probably had the common sense to scrap it once the news of the renewal broke. The Sun are idiots
Report Spam   Logged

DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 06:07:23 am »

Very happy to hear Matt Smith will be staying on!   Cheesy   He's said  he loves doing the show, so hopefully there will be many more seasons to come!
Report Spam   Logged
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:49 pm »

I love how the Sun put an update to say they got it wrong, then still get it wrong in the update Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 12:55:21 pm »

According to DWM, the '14th' episode is this years Christmas Special, not next years. This years was already confirmed though so next year has only been picked up essentially for 13 episodes. I don't know if that means Christmas will be confirmed at a later date or if perhaps they haven't yet decided whether to have one, which may be the case if they move the series to a full time Autumn slot
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

Perhaps then, and this is just a guess, if they move the series to an Autumn slot, the Christmas Special will still go ahead but as part of the series 7 arc/story/run rather than a stand alone special?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »

Though I doubt they would do that, tbh
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:34 pm »

First, fabulous news about the recommissioning and Matt & The Moff are proving a terrific team BUT I have a couple of notes of caution...

- It appears that Matt Smith hasn't got the locked in 5 yr contract that was rumoured at the start of his tenure. I am not surprised as a 5 yr tie in contract is very unusual in the business.

- We have heard before about the creative team of Wenger, Willis and Moffat as not being the easiest to work with. And didn't we hear rumours about Willis getting sacked over the hiatus period between 5 & 6?

- Doctor Who, as a franchise is very strong and extremely lucrative, but only as long as it remains fresh, relevant and well funded. Again, this is not the first time we have heard budget-cropping stories emerging.

Season 6 was awesome - I loved every single second of it. Season 7 is set up to be amazing as well. I just think the next few months are critical for the show. We talk about the RTD era but equally as important were Phil Collinson and Julie Gardner who navigated their way around the BBC and knew the systems and the finances intimately. The creative team that works with the Moff need to be as adept at budget handling as Phil and Julie were and then all will be fine. Good writing + Good money + Good acting always leads to a Good Product. And setting all the title-tattle aside, if the product is good, the the show will be safe.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 07:42:23 pm »

Well the rumoured contract was only for 3 years with the option to extend to 5 if both parties were happy, so doing Series 7 next year will fulfil that. I'd love him to stay longer but I have a feeling he won't
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2011, 02:24:58 am »

I'm reading more and more stuff to say that the series will be airing late next year and will probably be split either side of Christmas. Since the Private Eye article ran it seems all the crazies have come out of hiding to have their say about the show being in danger etc so I don't know if anyone really knows whats happening but I think it's doing more harm than good at the moment because now everyone seems to think that show is in trouble, and thats even with the news of it being recommissioned. I don't mind if it airs in the Autumn personally, but would rather it was all on before Christmas otherwise we will have about a 9 month wait and only 6 or 7 episode for the whole of 2012
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2011, 04:11:40 am »

Well the Guardian has quoted a source as saying that "a good chunk of the 14 commissioned episodes will be broadcast next year", which doesnt sound too promising. Assuming they didn't just make that up
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: