The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 05:41:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor - Genesis of the Daleks

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor - Genesis of the Daleks  (Read 224 times)
Thascales
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: Tom Baker
Favourite Companion: Leela and Harry Sullivan

Master-Stroker

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« on: March 12, 2011, 12:32:37 pm »

GENESIS OF THE DALEKS
by Terry Nation

Starring Tom Baker, Elisabeth Sladen and Ian Marter.

Production Code: 4E

First Transmitted:
1 - 08/03/1975 17:30
2 - 15/03/1975 17:30
3 - 22/03/1975 17:30
4 - 29/03/1975 17:30
5 - 05/04/1975 17:30
6 - 12/04/1975 17:30

Quote from: The Discontinuity Guide
'We are entombed, but we live on. This is only the beginning... When the time is right we will emerge and take our rightful place as the supreme power of the Universe!' In the manner of Marvel and DC comics, a revisionist reworking of the origins of the Daleks is carried out with considerable style. Genesis of the Daleks includes, in Davros, possibly the ultimate Doctor Who villain.
[/size]
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:15 am »

A lot of inconsistencies with the backstory in The Daleks, but it doesn't matter when it's this good.  And there are some unremarked continuities - presumably the creature in the swamp in The Daleks was descended from one of Davros's discards.

Among the best stories of the lot.
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 11:02:52 pm »

Deserves every accolade it ever gets. Almost certainly the best of all the Dalek stories, and possibly the best story of them all. Everything about this just works perfectly. Tom Baker was at his incredible best and was given a first-rate script to work with - the scene pictured with the two wires sends chills down the spine every time I watch it, as does that conversation with Davros. And Michael Wisher makes Davros a truly scary character, rather than the slightly dull Mr Ranty he would sometimes become in later stories.

Now, let's face it, if a new story nowadays were to mess with the established backstory of a well-known villain as much as this does, I'd be up in arms with most of the rest of the fandom. But, like Nyiki said, when it's done this well, who cares?
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 11:26:43 pm »

I cannot express how much I love this story. This should be (and hopefully is) up there with the truly great Sci Fi stories (Star Wars, 2001, Martian Chronicles etc) and can justifiably sit right alongside them. I can't actually think of a better performance from Tom Baker, Dame Roger (as usual) hits it right on the nose when he says Michael Wisher is the perfect Davros. But it is also the little people - Guy Siner, Ronson, The dad from the Twin Dilemma and the Handsome Ken Masters. The ensemble cast are amazing and hit the mood of the show pitch perfect. Terry Nation + Robert Holmes and Phillip Hinchcliffe = Doctor Who Nirvana. This is Doctor Who's 'White Album'.

I actually like the fact that Nation wrecks his own backstory - as Nyki & Roger says, when it is this good, who cares!!! This is a brilliant story and is the high point of the best ever season of Doctor Who. IMHO, Sci Fi (or indeed any entertainment) doesn't get any better than this
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 01:35:49 am »

In fact, Nation started wrecking his own backstory in The Dalek Invasion of Earth, so he was just continuing an ancient tradition Cool
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 01:26:52 pm »

Completely agree with all of the above.
Pitch perfect Who.

I still vote Caves as best though, for my own pretty obvious reasons!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 06:10:44 am »

Definitely in my top three. While I still may not understand the continuity contradictions, I've long since found an easy-out explanation for them all.

This story is so brilliant, and my favorite character wouldn't exist without it of course. I may be a Molloy fan, but utterly respect the Wisher. I think Davros needed the more forceful shoutyness of Wisher before we descended into Molloy's insanity.

I remember the first time I watched this- it was what convinced me that the classic series was worth watching. I was bouncing in my seat from excitement because I knew all about the Daleks and Davros but I'd never seen the origin story.

And as a sub-origin story is the brilliant I,Davros radio drama that leads up to Genesis wonderfully.
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: