The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 11:42:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Fourth Doctor - The Deadly Assassin

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fourth Doctor - The Deadly Assassin  (Read 197 times)
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« on: April 08, 2011, 12:17:26 am »

I was watching this yesterday, and it reminded me of a theory I had a while back.  I've no idea if it's original or already widely discussed, but I'll throw it out anyway.

WHAT FOLLOWS CONTAINS SPOILERS

There's very little explanation given for why Goth teams up with the Master and plots to destroy the Time Lords.  All he says is that he wants power, but I wonder if there's a clue in the casting.  Goth is played by Bernard Horsfall, who had previously played the unnamed chief judge at the Doctor's trial in The War Games.  He sentenced the Doctor to banishment on Earth, but this was rescinded within a few years, apparently at the request of the CIA.

Now, the judge was clearly a very senior Time Lord, and it's quite feasible that he could either be the Chancellor, or in a position to become Chancellor quite soon.  If this really was Goth, he might have resented the High Council undermining his decision, and the Doctor making a fool of him.  That could have festered to the point where the Master was able to use it for his own ends.

What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: