The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 10:54:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Smith and Jones

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 2 (11.8%)
4/5 - Really Good - 9 (52.9%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 5 (29.4%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 1 (5.9%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Smith and Jones  (Read 335 times)
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: March 16, 2011, 04:18:33 pm »

For the discussion/analysis of the episode Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:07:49 pm »

This I think is one of my favourite opening episodes. I loved Martha instantly, much more than Rose, and I thought it was a great lighthearted episode to introduce her. Hated her family from the off though.

The Judoon were a brilliant new race I thought. I loved the way they spoke and it was great to see them come back briefly in series 4 and 5. We need another Judoon episode I think.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 02:29:08 pm »

I love this the more I watch it. I enjoyed it first time around but I didnt love it. I wasn't sure about the Judoon or the coldsore men or the Haemovore, but the more I watch the more I think its one of the better openers. After seeng the Judoon in Series 4 and in SJA I really like them a whole lot more (and hope they come back) and when you break it down and remember that this episode is basically all about introducing Martha, I think it does a brilliant job
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:06:17 pm »

I have added a poll to this thread. Please take a minute to rate the story, and jot down your words too if you like Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:45:15 pm »

Full marks. Brilliant opener to the series. Really love it. Even more since I saw a Judoon up close. Used to think they were naff but they are dead scary in real life. They can also be used to great comic effect as SJA shows. I thought it was ok on first airing, but it grows and grows on you
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:49 pm »

I rewatched this just the other day. It was never one of my favourites, but a rewatch has definitely been kind to it. I gave it a three (I don't think it as good as Partners in Crime but infinitely better than New Earth). Some good moments - and it has Roy Marsden in (who is one of my favourite actors of all time) though some of the family stuff grates on me a little (just personal taste i suppose)
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:49:48 pm »

This one gets a four from me. I loved Martha from the off and I thought this was a great introductory story. I agree with VA though about her family. After Jackie, and then in hindsight after the Motts, the Jones' can only really be seen as massively annoying.
Report Spam   Logged
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:18 am »

I gave this a four. I thought it was a good introduction for Martha and a decent story as well. We hadn't been to the moon for ages, so I liked that it was set there. It was mainly let down by the Zovirax guards and Marthas family, who were some of the most unlikeable characters on the show in years
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 01:57:01 pm »

I gave this a three. I think it wasn't the strongest opener, and as others have said Martha's family were a nightmare, but the story was ok and there was a great supporting cast
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 06:35:01 pm »

4 from me.
Really good opener, but the stuff with Martha's idiot family just p1sses me right off.
No wonder Martha did a bunk in the TARDIS.
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:46 am »

4. Whatever problems I have with RTD's big dramatic finales (and I have plenty of those) I always like his series-openers. And this is no exception; it introduces the new companion very well, and just has a great sense of fun to it all the way through. Casting Anne Reid as an evil bloodsucker was a masterstroke, the Judoon work really well (although the uber-nerd in me might quibble that RTD missed the perfect opportunity to bring back the Ogrons) and the relationship between the Doctor and Martha is established quickly and effortlessly.
Also, as always seems to be the case with RTD series openers, there's just a great sense of fun about the whole thing. It doesn't try to be moving or profound, other episodes can do that, it's just a lighthearted and enjoyable way to get a new series moving.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »

I gave this full marks. Its one of my favourite openers
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:23:02 pm »

I went with a 4. This was a nice fun opener with a villain we weren't supposed to take too seriously (brilliantly played by Anne Reid), some good new space police in the form of the Judoon (more brilliantly used in SJA) and a good intro for Martha too. This episode set her character up for everything she could and should have been until they decided to hack away at her with a silly love story (I blame the writers, not Martha or Freema, both of whom I thought were great). Her family though were awful. Long live the Noble/Motts Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: