The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 06:05:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

How Long Should The Doctor Stick Around?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long Should The Doctor Stick Around?  (Read 424 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: March 22, 2011, 12:14:19 pm »

I don't mean Matt Smith, just the Doctor in general. There seems to be a quick turnover in the role in recent years but do you think that it is a good thing or do you think the Doctor should be around for longer before each regeneration? What would you say would be the ideal length of tenure?
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 01:41:07 pm »

I think this is a really difficult question and the answer depends on a lot of things.  In general, I think that one season is too short, although with 9, they made the story work for why he had to regenerate.  With 10, I think that he may have stuck around too long.  Not that I didn't like the performances because they were wonderful, but the writing of the specials was kinda silly at points and perhaps we could have done without it.  I think that the 4 seasons with 10 were perfect, because it allowed the viewer to see different facets of The Doctor's personality whereas with one season you only get a glimpse.  I would have loved to see more adventures with 10, assuming that the writing was more up to snuff.  So I guess for me, I am happy for the current incarnation of The Doctor to stay for as long as it takes to tell his story, however long that may be, so long as the writing doesn't turn silly.

I have hardly seen any Classics, although I am working on it, so I can't say anything about how long those Doctor's stayed around.

I actually have a lot of conflicting thoughts about this but I don't want to carry on.  Will be interested to read what the rest of you think Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

I would have said three series minimum- four at the most. Anything less doesn't really give the incarnation a chance to spread their wings/really show us what they're made of. Any more leads us on a path where we cease to be surprised/in awe - both the actor/writers seem to become too comfortable with the incarnation and lose the ability to challenge themselves.

Far better that they leave with us wanting more than wishing they would hurry up and go Sad An attutude both Tom Baker and David Tennant experienced in spite of being two of the most popular Doctors Huh?

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 05:52:49 pm »

I agree that 4 seasons maybe at least, that way we do get to see a lot of different sides to the Doctor! But as long as the stories aren't getting silly, because agreed, in the specials with Tennant it did get very boring(for me at least) and it just wasn't that enjoyable.

But then there is this whole continuity thing, that when Who came out first couldn't the doctor only have a certain number of regenerations? And unless they've scrapped this then surely we're coming to almost the last. But then again, maybe the Doctor should stick around longer so that the programme will go on for a long time yet?
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 07:32:42 pm »

The regeneration restriction will be got round. There is no way they are going to shut down  a successful show on a technicality Wink And quite right too in my opinion Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:25:21 am »

I agree.  It's supposed to be 13 lives, and they're not going to pull the plug that soon.  The way I'd go would be it's an effect of the Time War, or something to do with the Time-Lords not being around.
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:33:44 am »

I think that it needs to be 3 years at a minimum. Give them chance to bed in and us chance to get used to them. Any less and I think they don't get a far stab at it. I would say 5-6 years should be a maximum.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 05:16:55 pm »

I remember seeing an interview with Peter Davison. He said that Pat Troughton had told him to only stay in the job 3 years. I guess they were both talking about very different eras when Doctor Who was pretty much on from September to March but I think three years is probably optimal. Any less (Ecclestone) and we don't really know what they are like as a Doctor. Any more (Tom Baker) and you risk either becoming a parody or just repeating the same schtick. Then compare those with Pat Troughton and David Tennant - both hugely popular, highly respected actors in their own right and who left the fans wanting more. I think the Tennant era was just about the perfect length - so I'll say 3 years and a bunch of specials is my optimal time.
Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 01:48:12 am »

I remember seeing an interview with Peter Davison. He said that Pat Troughton had told him to only stay in the job 3 years. I guess they were both talking about very different eras when Doctor Who was pretty much on from September to March but I think three years is probably optimal. Any less (Ecclestone) and we don't really know what they are like as a Doctor. Any more (Tom Baker) and you risk either becoming a parody or just repeating the same schtick. Then compare those with Pat Troughton and David Tennant - both hugely popular, highly respected actors in their own right and who left the fans wanting more. I think the Tennant era was just about the perfect length - so I'll say 3 years and a bunch of specials is my optimal time.

In Hartnell and Troughton's time, it was on almost continuously (about 6 weeks down time before the new series) so three years was a long time.  I'd agree 3-4 years is ideal.  I don't personally think Pertwee's five years were too much, but I agree Tom Baker went on a couple of years too long.  I'd have been happy to see The Key to Time as his swansong, with the regen linked to the Black Guardian.
Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 10:57:06 am »

I agree with VA you need to stay in the role long enough to know who the character is but not so long that when it comes to the next doctor the audience is too comfortable and therefore have a repeat of PD problems
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:34 am »

I wonder if the tenure of the Doctor is now inextricably linked to that of the show-runner? 3 or 4 years of Matt Smith and the Moff might feel his time is also up? I am not an expert but it seems that being a show-runner on a show like Doctor Who is very draining (both creatively and physically) so perhaps we might see the two ending simultaneously?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 10:19:16 am »

I think the issue with Moff is that he also has split priorities because of Sherlock. If he feels one is taking his attention away from the other then he may decide to stop doing one of them.

I don't like the thought of the tenure of doctor/showrunner being too linked though. I'd like to think that if Matt decided to quit, Moff would carry on, or vice versa
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 10:43:12 am »

I think the issue with Moff is that he also has split priorities because of Sherlock. If he feels one is taking his attention away from the other then he may decide to stop doing one of them.

I don't like the thought of the tenure of doctor/showrunner being too linked though. I'd like to think that if Matt decided to quit, Moff would carry on, or vice versa

I'd like to think that if he did hand one of the shows off it would be Sherlock - not that I want him to - but because he's joint show runner of that so can easily hand it over to Mark Gatiss.

And I agree with you PP about wanting to see either one carry on if the other decided to quit.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »

I think you're right in that I don't think anyone (either within or outside the BBC) expected Sherlock to be quite the success it was. He inadvertently ended up with two hit shows.

I just recall him saying how much effort went in to writing for Doctor Who and I wonder how much of the 'creative orange' will be squeezed by the time MS's tenure as the Doctor is finished? On the other hand, he might get energised at the chance to choose another Doctor, and determine the course of the show for years to come might appeal to him. He is a proper fanboy and this is his dream job (that he turned down Hollywood and Spielberg to come and do). I just wonder whether he might want to scratch that Hollywood itch?

Apologies for drifting a little off topic - but it does tie in with the OP to the extent that whoever is the Exec Producer when MS decides to call it a day (and I do think MS will leave before he gets pushed) will be responsible for choosing the next Doctor and possibly facing down the 12 regenerations issue once and for all!
Report Spam   Logged

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:21 pm »

I think Moff deciding between his two shows would be extremely difficult, Doctor Who is a giant hit along with Sherlock. Having to choose between two of your 'children' as it were is near impossible its like me trying to decide on one of paintings to sell, I can't do it.

For the similarities between DT with RTD and MS with SM, haha looks it goes both ways MS SM anyway, I think we may just be over thinking it slightly, seeing patterns that aren't there, but moff leaving may influence matt or vice versa the only way we can find out is to wait really. I don't want Moff to leave Sherlock its amazing same with Doctor Who
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: