The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:51:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Poll: Blink

Poll
Question: Rate the story
5/5 - Absolutely amazing - 10 (62.5%)
4/5 - Really Good - 5 (31.3%)
3/5 - Not bad, not great - 0 (0%)
2/5 - Not impressed - 0 (0%)
1/5 - Shockingly bad - 1 (6.3%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Blink  (Read 389 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:35:42 pm »

Someone had to start a thread about this one.

I love the Angels, I love Sally, love her friend Kathy even more. Love the timey wimeyness of it too. But there is just something about this story that doesn't connect for me and I enjoy it less and less every time I watch. I think part of it is the over hyping of it. To some, this episode is sort of the pinacle of DW and the more I hear people bang on about how amazing it is, the more I seem to find fault and enjoy it less. It's not that I set out to go against the majority, but I think some people do think way too highly of it and make it out to be far better than it is. I think another reason why it is going down on my scale is because it isnt unique anymore. When it was first aired there was something very fresh and new about this story, but since Moffat took over (and this isnt a dig at him), 90% of his stories have followed a similar sort of pattern and I think its muddied the waters of Blink somewhat. These days it just seems like 'another'.

Its a great story, no doubt about it, but its nowhere near the pedastal heights that some try to place it on imo.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:59:33 pm »

I'm sort of the same as you, except when I first watched I thought it was only ok and now I am pretty much in the 'I hate Blink' camp. I do think the Angels are great and I liked the concept but I'm sick of how 4 years on people still talk about it as though it made Who
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 02:25:14 am »

I still love this story, especially the Doctor-lite element of it because I think the guest characters are all great. The Angels are also great and the story is brilliant. The only thing I don't like about it is, as OWO stated above, its been put on some sort of unreachable pedastal by many fans and I think its unwarranted give the fact that although its great, there are far better, more underatated stories out there
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 09:00:31 am »

Blink... Don't get me started on this  Angry

In my opinion, it is the most over-rated Who story of all time. I've watched it about 3 times in total now, but each time I watch it I think 'Why on earth am I watching this?!' I personally don't see why everyone thinks it is one of the best Who stories ever. Okay the 'Timey-Wimeyness' is pretty cool, I like that. I love the weeping angels (I love Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone soo much).... and the characters are okay I guess, and the Easter Eggs idea is quite cool, but yeah definitely not my favourite Who episode.

Maybe it's the fact there isn't too much 'Doctor' in it, but then again maybe it's the fact that I'm not a huge lover of Martha either, and thinking about it, pretty much the whole of Series 3.

I can't deny however that it could be a good story if it was just written slightly differently.  Undecided Huh?
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »

I have added a poll to this story topic. Please take a minute to rate it for us and you can post your comments below too if you wish Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:35:57 pm »

This one gets a 5. Its waaaaaaaaaaaaay too over hyped and its impact has been lessoned by Moff constantly trying to outdo it in every other story he writes, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a brilliant story. I sometimes get a bit bitter about it because I hate how everyone gushes over it, mainly because I think there are many more stories that are better that get overlooked, but you can't really mark it down for that, so it gets full marks
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:30 pm »

I gave this a 4. Its a really strong story with a great concept and the 'lite'-ness of it worked really well. All the guest stars who came in and took the lead were great and it would be wonderful to see Sally Sparrow again
Report Spam   Logged
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:51:42 pm »

My favourite story from S3 - I watch it a lot & I love it every time. I like all the characters, love the idea behind the Angels & the fact that although the presence of the Doctor is always there he is pretty much absent. Do I think it is over hyped? Yeah it probably is, but that doesn't change the way I feel about. Not my all time fave, but definitely up there. Full marks.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:30:16 am »

I think a 4 is about right for this episode. I thought the story was good and the introduction of the Angels was perfect, but there is something about it that I am not so keen on that I can't quite put my finger on.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:58:48 pm »

I gave this one a 4, though my initial instinct was to give it a three. The plot is good and it keeps your mind working, but it was a lot more basic than people seem to remember. This story has a weird reputation among fandom for being amazing, but I think it was more or less just standard
Report Spam   Logged
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:32:08 pm »

Its a great story, no doubt about it, but its nowhere near the pedastal heights that some try to place it on imo.

Agreed.
I gave it a 4. It's not quite the stuff of legend people sometimes make out, but is is damn good.
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:40:30 pm »

5 from me.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:13:19 pm »

5/5 from me. Its not as great as many make out, as others here have said, but it's still a good strong story and up that point in the revival was one of the best.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Davros
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Sylvester McCoy (7th)

Tar Lubeck ka'leed Uth Ricta Dal'ek.

View Profile WWW
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:05:57 am »

This was an episode that blew me away, but now I'm sick of the hype it receives. Though I still use it to introduce my friends to Doctor Who and scare them to death. But people on the internet who post pictures of the angels or of statues and talk about how scared it made them? They should be exterminated!
Report Spam   Logged

Today, the Kaled race is ended, consumed in a fire of war. But, from its ashes will rise a new race. The supreme creature. The ultimate conqueror of the universe. The Dalek!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: