The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:42:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

The Greatest Master Story Ever?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Greatest Master Story Ever?  (Read 207 times)
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« on: April 09, 2011, 08:33:02 am »

Hey all,

Thought I'd post this after a shock filled moment reading The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter.

In there, while coming up for the plot for what would become The End of Time parts I & II, RTD makes the comment "I've already written the greatest Master story ever", meaning The Sound of Drums/The Last of the Timelords.

As I mentioned when talking to Chris on twitter, I closed the book & went back to work after that (I've since read on) as the comment just plain shocked me!

Am I missing a highly sarcastic tone, was he deadly serious that he thinks the finale is that good?

Maybe I'm just biased, as I think those are two of the worst episodes in the entire history of Doctor Who, let alone NuWho.
Perhaps it's because Utopia was so good, Jacobi was so good...and then they follow it up with a dance track, The Doctor Dobby & an army of zeroids nicked from Terrahawks!

Anyway, what do all my DitT friends think?
What is your favourite Master story?

For me it's quite possibly The Sea Devils, but love to know what everyone else thinks!
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 09:02:13 am »

I think it was meant to be sarcastic. I'm sure I read him saying that he east entirely happy with how it ended up and he knew some fans hated it. I'd hope it was sarcastic anyways because he couldn't possibly believe it was the best. Unless he meant that it was the best he could write
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 11:01:56 am »

Going by all I've read and seen of RTD in interviews/confidentials etc I would say he wasn't being altogether serious in his comment. Smiley

I think he loved how it turned out/his version of The Master/Simms performance and I'm pretty sure he knew it was a light the blue litmus paper kind of statement. He is a fan after all Wink

Then again maybe it IS his true opinion - at the end of the day he's entitled to one the same as everybody else - the difference being that unlike the fans he isn't insisting he is right/trashing anything/one else to prove the point.

I've enjoyed all The Masters but Delgado was the one that gave me goosebumps Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 11:36:13 am »

I've enjoyed all The Masters but Delgado was the one that gave me goosebumps Cool

Lordy, totally agree! The guy had it totally nailed.

I'm gonna go with what you two have said, and take it as a "hard to pick up sarcasm in text" kind of thing, but still, I'd LOVE to hear what everyone's favourite Master story is!
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »

I honestly, honestly can't decide between Logopolis and Terror of the Autons. On a side but very much related note if we get the Master to return, how about Andy Nyman doing it? He'd be 18 kinds of wonderful!
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 11:26:57 pm »

(runs off to see who that is....)

Umm, nope. Never heard of him.
Have heard of some of the stuff he's been in, but I refuse to watch anything with Mitchell & (especially) Webb in it.
Is he good?

I always answer with The Sea Devils - that sword fight is just damn quality!

Report Spam   Logged

Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 12:31:40 am »

I'd go for The Daemons, but both Mind of Evil and The Sea Devils run it close.  Delgado's definitely my Master, but Ainley was great too - Logopolis is definitely a fine story.
Report Spam   Logged

2cajuman2
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Christopher Ecclestone
Favourite Companion: Cpt Jack Harkness

Famous person? Favourite Cheese please?

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:49:59 am »

*confesses* I looked up Andy Nyman, I've only seen crooked House - which I can't remember him and Chuggington, where he does voice overs... so, no idea... love chuggington  Cool

Strangely enough, the Master scene that sticks in my mind most is in 5 Doctors, where he says "It's as easy as Pi" I'm not sure why, but there it is...

I'd have to look up all the classic Master episodes but I am a fan of Castrovalva, I'll keep saying it, I am... Tongue

AND *protests* I am a fan of Simm's Master (Series 3), not of the Doctor Dobby, but I did enjoy those eps... Tongue Just because they are so much fun! And you know he won't win, but I think it is great that just for a while, he does have control of the Earth and is killing and causing slavery.... *stops before getting creepily into the destruction side*
Report Spam   Logged

River Song: Everyone knows that everyone dies. And nobody knows it like the doctor. But I do think that all the skies in all the worlds might just turn dark, if he ever accepts it.

??Cheeses + rising!
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »

I enjoyed Simm's Master too (the original version).  I could believe it was essentially the same person, but rejuvenated.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 05:12:14 pm »

He had some good lines, without a doubt, but I think the story killed my liking of him stone dead, Flash Gordon ending & all!  Roll Eyes

Still, Simm did get a cool bit in TEoT with the "Get out the way" - that was great!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: