The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 09:02:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

When Is A Spoiler A Spoiler Too Far?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Is A Spoiler A Spoiler Too Far?  (Read 1227 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 09:01:09 am »

If you look back across this threads, previously I had outlined a test for spoiler-ness; The 'Radio Times' Test - effectively if it was in the Radio Times then it was not a spoiler. My test is unfortunately fatally flawed. We live in a 'multi-platform' world. So the BBC Website is also officially regulated but look at the pigs breakfast they made of 'those' pictures. DWM is an officially regulated magazine - do we count what we read in there as acceptable spoileriness?

This is an age where mainline TV shows need every bit of publicity they can get. Dr Who fans have the fear of cancelation encoded on their DNA so the Moff has to publicise and tease and (to an extent) spoiler just to keep the show alive.

So I have a new test: The 'is there any point in me watching now' test. Before the spoiler is discussed I will ask 'Once i know this, is there any point me watching now?' If the answer is yes then I'm ok with it. If the answer is no - then it is a spoiler too far.

I stress this is my test and I don't seek to import it as a universal standard or impose it on anyone. I will still spoiler tag everything that reveals new plot details. I just think that if you are interested in hearing and discussing Doctor Who in 2011, then the spoilers are going to play a bigger part in order to keep the show going.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: