The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 05:37:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

When Is A Spoiler A Spoiler Too Far?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Is A Spoiler A Spoiler Too Far?  (Read 1228 times)
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2011, 05:58:31 pm »

I don't mind little ones tbh, like most people, cast, location and sort of a mini plot, that gives you some idea of what might happen, but nothing that's going to give everything away!

Like when the BBC released those pictures on the Who site the day before the Impossible Astronaut aired, that really annoyed me, as the Doctor Who news page is one of my home pages tabs, and I saw it, and for me that was definitely a spoiler too far. I personally don't get why people want to know MASSIVE spoilers and ruin everything for everyone else! I don't mind waiting for things, as like they say, good things come to those who wait... wait and you'll enjoy it more than knowing what is going to happen. That's what I say...

Basic plot, cast/characters and setting that's my limit Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 09:42:36 pm »

Very well said, Hannah!
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 09:01:09 am »

If you look back across this threads, previously I had outlined a test for spoiler-ness; The 'Radio Times' Test - effectively if it was in the Radio Times then it was not a spoiler. My test is unfortunately fatally flawed. We live in a 'multi-platform' world. So the BBC Website is also officially regulated but look at the pigs breakfast they made of 'those' pictures. DWM is an officially regulated magazine - do we count what we read in there as acceptable spoileriness?

This is an age where mainline TV shows need every bit of publicity they can get. Dr Who fans have the fear of cancelation encoded on their DNA so the Moff has to publicise and tease and (to an extent) spoiler just to keep the show alive.

So I have a new test: The 'is there any point in me watching now' test. Before the spoiler is discussed I will ask 'Once i know this, is there any point me watching now?' If the answer is yes then I'm ok with it. If the answer is no - then it is a spoiler too far.

I stress this is my test and I don't seek to import it as a universal standard or impose it on anyone. I will still spoiler tag everything that reveals new plot details. I just think that if you are interested in hearing and discussing Doctor Who in 2011, then the spoilers are going to play a bigger part in order to keep the show going.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »

On the original topic, I think I'm gonna have to stay out of the episode discussions section - the risk of major spoilers is too great & I've enjoyed ep 1 & 2 way more by knowing nothing.

Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:21 am »

On the original topic, I think I'm gonna have to stay out of the episode discussions section - the risk of major spoilers is too great & I've enjoyed ep 1 & 2 way more by knowing nothing.

I will say TFD that I have positively bathed in the juices of the spoiler section on here Wink and nothing prepared me for the last 75 seconds of DOTM Smiley So I still think that there is a lot of nonsense out there.
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:54 pm »

Yeah, they did a grand job keeping that quiet, huh?

I continually pray that Moff is churning out fake spoilers left right & centre, but I'm playing it safe!
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2011, 02:33:24 pm »

Did the spoiler cards just have stuff from the opening story on them or did they cover the whole series?
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:15 am »

I think they covered the whole series, TC, but I haven't seen them to confirm (let's hope that doesn't change!)
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 09:23:56 pm »

I've given this thread a little boost because as we approach the filming of Season 7 (and bearing in mind the hissy fit that our noble show runner had last time) I wonder what diet of spoilers we will get, whether the production team will be as secretive as ever and what type of approach people will adopt for season 7. Will you avoid spoilers like the plague or has season 6 taught us that there is no real escape...
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 11:16:48 am »

I'm avoiding it all this year!  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 11:22:58 am »

How come? Just want to try it out, or sick of being spoiled?

I cave in too easily to go without. I know I would end up snooping eventually so I don't even bother trying.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 11:27:06 am »

I don't know to be honest... For the first half of series 6 I was kind of in on having at least some idea what was going to happen in the episodes, I found that quite fun, but for the second half of the series I had absolutely no idea on anything - I literally just knew the episode titles and the little bit of plot from the TV guide, and I didn't really feel like I was missing out on anything!

I'm not going to make an effort to find things out is what I mean I guess - like I won't be looking at the spoiler stuff on here this year, and I won't be searching the internet for stuff, just going to go along like normal and like I did last year (for the second half)...

That's why I haven't been posting much in the Who stuff lately... Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 12:15:44 pm »

My approach used to be similar. I wouldn't look for it, but I didn't mind too much if I found stuff out. These days though I am waiting on spoilers all the time.
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:58 pm »

I like a good teaser to get the juices flowing Smiley And I also think it helps that the show is under discussion. There is a great book called "Hamlet's Blackberry" by William Powers - he argues that social media actually detracts from anticipation by providing insight, immediate reaction and (effectively) a media beast that needs constantly feeding and spoilers for TV shows effectively pander to that media beast, therefore meaning that there is no sense of seeing a show that is "unknown" in any meaningful sense.

Spoilers are now part of the "media beast" for Doctor Who. We'll get them - even if we just read a newspaper now because columnists are so intent on filling space that a Doctor Who spoiler is considered good copy (especially if it is something that allows the paper to don its "moral trousers" - remember "DOCTOR WHO GIRL TO BE A STRIPPER" before the start of Season 5 and "DOCTOR WHO TO GET MARRIED" before the Neil Gaiman episode). So whether we like it or not, spoilers are going to be around, so we might as well discuss them and enjoy the anticipation (is my personal view).
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 08:27:16 pm »

It's sort of interesting because for all other shows I make a point of not looking for any sort of spoilers, but when it comes to Doctor Who I can't stop myself. I need to know everything. It doesn't make me enjoy the other shows any more or less, it's just the way I roll Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 08:00:35 pm »

It's sort of interesting because for all other shows I make a point of not looking for any sort of spoilers, but when it comes to Doctor Who I can't stop myself. I need to know everything. It doesn't make me enjoy the other shows any more or less, it's just the way I roll Tongue

I have to confess to being a total spoiler fiend - in all things. I got early copies of the West Wing flown to the UK so I could find out who would win the season 7 election. I went straight to the end of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to find out who JK Rowling had killed off so i think its just in my blood Evil
Report Spam   Logged

Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:07 am »

I'm with Exterminate. If I get spoiled for other shows I get really annoyed. I hate knowing what's happening before it's on the screen. With Doctor Who though I am all over the spoilers like a rash. I need to know everything as early as possible. If I don't know everything in advance I feel like I am missing out on something. It might be to do with the fact that I am more involved in Who fandom than any other.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: