The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 08:51:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Karen Gillan Smokes

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Karen Gillan Smokes  (Read 6182 times)
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:45:01 pm »

And for some reason loads of people are REALLY annoyed about it. As far as I can tell she has been seen smoking, but never papped with a cig in her hand and never done it on screen, so unless you actually see her doing it she isnt really influencing anyone.

Until this week when people started making a big deal about it I didnt know she smoked so it seems that its only become an issue because people are talking about it becoming an issue. A paradox of sorts.

But does it really matter? Isnt this like the issue with Matts bum?
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 09:57:57 pm »

As long as she isnt handing out fags to kids, or trying to make out like its cool then why not. She's old enough to do it and old enough to choose to do it, and if she wants to do it then people shouldnt complain just because she is in DW. Hundreds of actors smoke and people don't bat an eyelid. And its not like she is doing it on the show either. I don't get why people are making a big deal of it
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:17:38 pm »

I agree. For some reason the fans seem to think they have a say in the lives of the actors on this show. I don't smoke and I don't like it. But I also don't care if others do. Its their own health they are affecting and as said above, its not like she is doing it so publicly that people will be influenced by it. Why should she be singled out? Like it says in the first post, the only reason people think its an issue is because they are making it one
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 10:41:52 pm »

For some reason the fans seem to think they have a say in the lives of the actors on this show. I don't smoke and I don't like it. But I also don't care if others do. Its their own health they are affecting.

I was just about to say something similar so you've saved me the trouble  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »

Oh for goodness sakes Roll Eyes

Is it at all possible for people to just go and get lives? Angry Have they really got nothing better to do than pick holes/make judgments? I'm sure she drinks...has sex and spends too much time looking in the mirror. What does any of it have to do with us/the show??? Angry

Are Doctor Who fans suddenly saints and keepers of all things pure???  Roll Eyes Angry Roll Eyes

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 11:50:09 pm »

I think this is an absolute disgrace. The only thing to do is to sack Karen Gillan, cancel Doctor Who and close down the BBC. Nothing else will suffice to rectify this appalling attack on the standards of decent society.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 11:44:54 am »

I think this is an absolute disgrace. The only thing to do is to sack Karen Gillan, cancel Doctor Who and close down the BBC. Nothing else will suffice to rectify this appalling attack on the standards of decent society.

Nice one Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:47:01 am »

People have too much time on their hands if they are making an issue of this.  I agree with Mandy: get a life!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 11:56:27 am »

This shocked me but if she wants to smoke then fine by me its her life not mine we have no right to be 'annoyed' by it what can we do really?Huh? Nowt!!!! Get over it people!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:16:39 pm »

I can kind of understand the anti-smoking brigade generalising and saying she shouldnt smoke, smoking is bad etc. But for people to say she shouldnt smoke just because of who she is just seems ridiculous to me. I knew we would get some normal responses on here Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:23 am »

So, just to play catch up, some sides of fandom are in uproar cos she smokes - not on the show, but in real life?

To coin a popular phrase, what's the point, caller?

I absolutely hate smoking, but she ain't blowing it in my face, so jog on, it's her choice.

Report Spam   Logged

Mind_Robber
TARDIS Traveller

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 12:16:05 am »

It amazes me that in 50 years of quite frankly the best sci-fi show in the universe (and that's coming from a trekkie), Karen is the first DW star to be called out for smoking. So freaking what! The show's had 11 actors in the role, as well as a host of companions and guest stars. Chances are at least one of them smoked, yet to the best of my knowledge, none of them ever got called out for it.
Report Spam   Logged

There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap... me!
Blazin Goliath
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: 12
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

"Where I stand is where I fall.”

View Profile
Level 6 Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 09:19:45 pm »

Exploring the old abandoned sections of the forum when I stumbled upon this. my question is this: Didn't the First Doctor smoke on-screen??
Report Spam   Logged

"Wonderful chap, all of them"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 01:31:37 am »

Exploring the old abandoned sections of the forum when I stumbled upon this. my question is this: Didn't the First Doctor smoke on-screen??

He did - that was the whole cause of the trouble with the cavemen.  It was considered distinguished to smoke a pipe then.
Report Spam   Logged

The Cyber Mistress
Earthling
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Level 4 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »

Isn't there rules now about smoking on screen? Can it not be done before the watershed or something?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: