The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 01:04:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Invasion Of The Bane

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invasion Of The Bane  (Read 133 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:07:23 pm »

Just on a rewatch of SJA and this is the first time in ages that I have watched the first serial, and I have to say (with the exception of Kelsey) I like it a whole lot more than the first time I watched. When you think of it in a similar vein to Rose or the first episode of Torchwood and you think about how much has to be set up, its really quite great. I also love the alien link with TW.

I know this story probably gets the most stick of all the SJA episodes but I think its great. What do you all think?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »

Mrs Wormwood is brilliantly camp in this story, and Maria and Sarah Jane are both great but Kelsey is awful. Totally and utterly awful! Luke is tolerable, but his acting isnt great.

The story is ok, and as you said it does the trick for setting the show up, but I think every episode sinse has been better. But thats not hard when you consider that it just gets better and better as the show goes on
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »

As a relative newbie to SJA this seemed a logical jumping off point for me - I watched it and loved it. I can see why it got stick but actually I thought the story and the characters were pretty good Smiley I think it holds up rather well to TW as a spin off Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »

I love it. Its not the best but its still a great story and as Chris said, its a great jumping on point
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:14:05 pm »

I didnt mind Kelsey so much. I'm glad she didnt stay and we got Clyde (mmm, Clyde Tongue) but for that one story I think she was ok.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

Seems so bittersweet now doing this rewatch, but I can't think of a better time or a more worthwhile reason to look back through all the old serials
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »

I finally saw this for the first time when it was on TV yesterday.

Let me get my gripe out of the way first - Kelsey! She reminded me so much of various girls I'm come across in real life & not in a good way. In a way though I guess that means she was a realistic character but not one I could warm to. Very glad that I know she didn't stick around.

That aside I thoroughly enjoyed it - it did it's job well & left me wanting to watch more (previously all I'd really seen were the 2 doctor eps). I'm now fully intending to rectify my lack of SJA knowledge sooner rather than later & I will be keeping an eagle eye on CBBC for full series repeats (although I have discovered the boxsets are quite cheap on Amazon!)

And Lis Sladen was fantastic - it makes me even more sad that she's gone. But she has left some great memories behind her  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: