The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 03:30:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

RP Discussion and Resources

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RP Discussion and Resources  (Read 333 times)
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:59 pm »

Many sites are set up to provide tips and resources for all types of role players. The @RPFollowBack (http://twitterrpg.com), @RolePlaySupport, and @TheRP_diaries Twitter accounts, with their related websites, are some of the latest whose posts to give both new and experienced RPers a sense of what will make it easier to find the way into participating in a roleplaying game. Some RP groups have their own site to keep track of which characters are in the group and tips for followers, like the @Grimmverse Twitter account, or that represent a particular fandom or series that attracts RPers, such as @WhoRP's account that posts information about RP in the Doctor Who universe. These are just some of the many resources I've noticed and follow online that give players and other curious followers a place to start in the world of RP.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
mel42
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten, Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond, Sarah Jane Smith (favorite Whoniverse characters) and supporter of Gwen Cooper

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:15:33 am »

I had some thoughts since looking at these sites, and in light of changes to the cast of these shows due to real life events and story-related incidents. This led to some RPers setting their role play in a past era of the series, and I discussed with several of them (including a discussion today while I was on my RP account with paperclipmuses who also posted on the subject of RP characters) the reasons why we don't always conform to canon. As I posted to Twitter today:

When I take on a character, it's because I want to represent that character, like when I'm on my real life account I represent my own views, on a RP account I represent each individual character's views. I wouldn't want to write the character at a distance, if that account was supposed to be what the character says or thinks. I RP Gwen so I can give her perspective on events, and so she doesn't have to be silent, and so her role can be present as she is in the TV series. I also enjoy the series 1-2 era of the show and branching off from the events of that time in Torchwood.

One thing that comes up is that if a character dies on the TV show, or an actor that plays a character dies in real life, often the group members will keep the character around if the role player still wants to play that character who is not on the show anymore in canon. It goes to show what an integral part of the series they are if people still want to write fanfiction or RP about that era of the show that they were in, and pay tribute to them in that way. I know I appreciate being able to interact with those characters in RP, even if it isn't possible to watch them in new episodes of a TV show anymore.

We can still have RPs with Sarah Jane and the Brigadier in them, just as there can be Torchwood RPs with Owen, Tosh and Ianto. It seems to be too soon for the RP characters to assume there can be no more stories featuring these characters just because it isn't canon anymore. I know I would want to continue writing about the character as a tribute to them.
Report Spam   Logged

"Have you never seen something so mad, so ... extraordinary, that, just for one second, you think that there might be more out there?"

(Gwen Cooper, Torchwood)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: