The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 08:48:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What Should Happen With SJA Now?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Should Happen With SJA Now?  (Read 590 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »

I'm reading lots of things around the net about the future of the show and what the fans think should happen now, and I was wondering what everyone thought?

Some people think that the show should just end with no mention, just have SJS living on. Others think her death should be addressed in the show and some think it should continue on.

Three stories from series 5 have been completed. The opening 2 stories, eps 1-4 and the finale, eps 11-12. It would be safe to assume that an ending of some sorts has already been filmed for that finale so it would be a good point to bring the series to a close, but part of me would love to see it continue on, either with just the kids or bringing in somone like Jo in the adult role.

I don't want them to do a story however where they kill Sarah Jane off. Though I think they could do a brilliant job, like the Brig, I want to see Sarah Jane carrying on with her investigations off screen somewhere.

What do you think?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 03:01:45 pm »

Its a difficult one. Ending it would be such a shame because it truly is a great show, but continuing it with someone else, such as Jo, would mean that it is essentially a different show as they couldnt call it SJA any more. Also, continuing it without SJS would be a bit hard to explain maybe. On the other hand I hate the thought of the character being killed off.

Perhaps it is best to let the series come to a natural stop and commision something new with other characters (again, Jo would be a great candidate) but along the same lines
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »

Perhaps a spinoff with the remaining cast and, as has been said, a character like Jo.

I love SJS, but if a fitting end can be brought to the character then I wouldn't mind the character dying. The show has always dealt with social issues for children without talking down to them and I think with the right story that could do justice to the character they could bring her story to a nice close.

That being said, I would be just as happy to see her live on. Perhaps joining the Brig in Peru on one of his missions.

Whichever route the BBC choose to go down, I am sure the final decision will lie with her family.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 06:32:27 pm »

I'd love to see the show carry on in some way, however I really don't think it would be right for it to still be 'Sarah Jane Adventures' I'm sure many many many children will have heard of Lis' death today on Newsround on the CBBC channel, and they too will be sad, and maybe don't want the show to go on without Sarah Jane.

But then I think it would be such a shame to end the show completely with such promising actors and the characters created (Clyde, Rani, and Luke). But I think they should address Elisabeth Sladen's death in the show in some way, I too don't like the way that Sarah Jane could just be 'killed off' because that just seems.... wrong....

But definitely think the show should live on in some way to keep our memories of Sarah Jane Smith alive.
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 07:04:33 pm »

It's sort of like taking the previous Brig discussions to the next level.

Probably as I don't watch SJA (except when the Doc guest stars), I'm of the opinion they should - if they'd make sense to viewers - show the filmed final stories, and then end the show with some sort of dedication.

They don't need to kill the character or anything like that, just have it end & let the viewers' imagination do the rest.

Sure, it puts the rest of the cast & crew out of work, but I think continuing in any way - with a new SJ mentor like Jo (bad choice IMO) or having the kids take charge of the adventuring would be a jumping the shark move in many ways.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »

As Roranicus has said, the good thing (series wise) is that a finale was made, so the series can be actually rounded out as apposed to just stopping it short.

I think it would be nice to have a continuation of sorts, though I am not sure in what way I would prefer.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:59 pm »

I always said, because Lis was getting old, that it would eventually turn into "The Clyde and Rani Chronicles".

Now it will happen sooner rather than later I'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 11:04:36 am »

I think a name change but a continuation could work. Perhaps Rani and Clyde could set up The Sarah Jane Academy For Fighting Aliens or something like that and they could build a show around that. It could be a good way to bring Jo and her grandson in without it seeming that SJ is being replaced and it would be a nice way for the show to continue on but in a respectful way.
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:20 pm »

It's 5 years one New Years Day since the show first aired, so perhaps they will hold back the episodes, or at least the last two, and show them then?
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »

I think a name change but a continuation could work. Perhaps Rani and Clyde could set up The Sarah Jane Academy For Fighting Aliens or something like that and they could build a show around that. It could be a good way to bring Jo and her grandson in without it seeming that SJ is being replaced and it would be a nice way for the show to continue on but in a respectful way.

I really like this idea
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 02:12:32 pm »

Yea that would be a lovely tribute and a nice way to carry in the show in a new form
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:43 pm »

Thats a lovely idea, T-S
Report Spam   Logged
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:46:45 pm »

I think thats a lovely idea as a way of carrying on while remembering the character and the actress.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

Nothing official has been said by the BBC, but I think that the three stories that were filmed will still air as planned, but they may be bumped to the New Year. A few people have been saying that Lis was actually working up until the day before she died doing post production stuff, though obviously that could be false
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:31 am »

I don't think the show should be carried on without Sarah-Jane. That would be very disrespectful, IMO. I can understand why some people wouldn't want to have SJ's death handled on screen, but in the same token, it's The Doctor that lives on, while the companions do pass away, and I can also see how that would be a good - though sad - lesson for the young fans of the show.

Also, I'm sure the CBBC will want to keep the child audience they've developed with the SJA, but I can't see how they'd do a realistic spinoff with the remaining characters of Rani and Clyde unless they do recognize SJ's death. So if they don't do a spinoff of the SJA, then I could possibly see them doing a Jenny spinoff to fill the void (not the void of Lis Sladen's death or her show, as that can never be filled), but the void of the timeslot to keep the audience. They may or may not be able to work in Rani and Clyde. I've seen some people suggest Jenny crashing to Earth, although she was left in (I think) the 61st Century without time travel technology, so they'd have to work a way around that. (But it's sci-fi, so I don't think it'd be too hard.) They'd still have to address Sarah-Jane's absence though, so IDK.  Undecided

As Roranicus has said, the good thing (series wise) is that a finale was made, so the series can be actually rounded out as apposed to just stopping it short.

I had heard that the finale was shot, but I hope it doesn't end on a cliffhanger (especially a bad cliffhanger), because that would be a really unsettling series finale. If the finale ends on a happy note for SJ, then I'd be completely fine with that being the series finale and not needing to address her death in the show.
Report Spam   Logged
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 01:25:32 am »

None of the previous series finales have ended on cliffhangers - they all seem to have come gently to rest, which would be fine.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh-Wise-One
Faithful Companion

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

Yea, there is no reason to think the series would end on a cliffhanger. For one, it never has before and secondly they didnt know if the show was every going to go past series 5 anyway, so ending on a cliffhanger is very unlikely.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: