The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 02:07:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Celebrate 50 years of Doctor Who with us in our Top Ten Of Everything section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Chicks Dig Time Lords

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicks Dig Time Lords  (Read 228 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: September 04, 2010, 09:28:36 pm »

This is from the site Smiley

Chicks Dig Time Lords a book of essays written and contributed to by a list of well known and respected women from various industries and areas about why it is cool to be both a woman and a fan of Doctor Who, the effects the show has had on them, the discrimination often faced by SciFi loving girls and their various degrees of involvement with the show.

Here is a sybopsis.

In Chicks Digs Time Lords, a host of award-winning female novelists, academics and actresses come together to celebrate the phenomenon that is Doctor Who, discuss their inventive involvement with the show's fandom and examine why they adore the series. These essays will delight male and female readers alike by delving into the extraordinary aspects of being a female Doctor Who enthusiast. Essays include Carole Barrowman discussing what it was like to grow up with her brother John . . ., columnist Jackie Jenkins providing a Bridget Jones' Diary-style memoir of working on Doctor Who Magazine, novelist Lloyd Rose analyzing Rose's changes between the ninth and tenth Doctors and much more.

Other contributors include Elizabeth Bear (Jenny Casey), Lisa Bowerman (Bernice Summerfield), Mary Robinette Kowal (Shades of Milk and Honey), Jody Lynn Nye (Mythology series), Kate Orman (Seeing I), and Catherynne M. Valente (The Orphan's Tales). Also featured is a comic from the Torchwood Babiez creators, plus interviews with Doctor Who companions India Fisher (Charley) and Sophie Aldred (Ace).

The book is already available to purchase on bookstores and online, but the guys over at io9 have an exclusive extract so that you can try before you buy. You can check that out below

http://io9.com/5628832/the-classic-doctor-who-monster-that-terrified-young-john-barroman
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 10:27:14 pm »

A brilliant book! I shall read it agin in the very near future and post my review, in the meantime - BUY IT!!   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 10:57:40 pm »

I read the Carole Barrowman excerpt the other night on io9, it's gone straight on my *want* list Smiley  Here's the link - http://io9.com/5628832/the-classic-doctor-who-monster-that-terrified-young-john-barroman

Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
sleekituk
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 11:35:13 pm »

That link was worth clicking for the pic alone Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

The Doctor: Do you know like we were saying, about the earth revolving? It's like when you're a kid, the first time they tell you that the world is turning and you just can't quite believe it 'cause everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 11:39:31 pm »

Im surprised people didnt cotton on to that when I posted it in the first post. I was going to mention it, but I didnt want you all to crash io9's server Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

GreenLemons
Tin Dog

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 4 Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:25:13 pm »

Omg! That looks so brilliant! and GUH! Barrowman!
Report Spam   Logged

Beans are evil. Bad, bad beans.
DAK
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Eleven!
Favourite Companion: River!

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

I was just about to start a thread on this.  A friend just sent me a link to that book, and he says "surprised you didn't author the book".  LMAO!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:52:03 pm »

I ordered this book and it's on my nightstand right now.  It's the next book I read Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »

This won the Hugo Award for the Best Related Work at this year's awards.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »

It was a fun read.  I enjoyed it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Pages: [1]   Go Up