The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 29, 2024, 06:31:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in for the NuWho Episode Tournament in The Greatest Show In The Galaxy

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Canon and 'The Reboot'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canon and 'The Reboot'  (Read 319 times)
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« on: September 05, 2010, 12:48:07 am »

I will say now that I hate canon. I hate the thought that writers (and fans) hands are tied by the antecedents of a story written 20 years ago where a decision was made on budgetary or plot narrative convenience. I agree that there should be some order and back story - but for the first 6 years of the show the only real canon we had was that the Doctor was a traveller who couldn't control his ship, he was exiled from his own people and he regenerates when he falls over in the Arctic or his people get the hump with him.

As a show gets a 50 year history there is going to be baggage that becomes attached. The Doctor got two hearts, an allergy to asprin, a home planet and a limit on the number of times he can regenerate. However, the Star Trek franchise is a warning as to what can happen when too much canon gets in the way. Eventually the story telling becomes atrophied as a result of writers not wishing to stray outside the established universe and the franchise died on its feet (this wasn't the only reason but it was the reason why Star Trek lost a lot of good writers who got fed up of the hate mail every time they miscounted the co-ordinates of Wolf 359)!! Isn't it time that Doctor Who tried to avoid this mistake and do a re-boot. It was almost done in 2005 with RTD getting rid of Gallifrey but other things still remain. Specifically this 12 regenerations business which seems to have been reinforced by continuing references. They have had an ideal opportunity with a young actor coming in to rewind the Doctor's regens - and it could have been done easily;

"Ooops you've regenerated near a major temporal event and with the Tardis Engines running.. Don't you know how dangerous that is for time lords....What do you mean your time line has been thrown into reverse.... *Int TARDIS Console Room with DT laying on the floor. VT of previous Doctors playing backwards followed by a quick explanation to Amelia that his past life has been wiped* then continue on with ...Yoghurt just stuff with bits in".

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe canon is essential for a show like Doctor Who, but sometimes it just gets in the way and if in the Xmas special they want the Doctor to have an asprin as he's got a headache from Amy shouting at him then, chocks away old boy!
Report Spam   Logged

Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:32:35 am »

Not keen on this idea. I like the feeling of it being a show with nearly 50 years of history behind it, and the sense of continuity that it gives. If that were ever to change it wouldn't be Doctor Who, the show that I've loved since I was little more than a toddler, any more. It'd just be some new show loosely based on it. For me at least, it'd spoil the whole thing.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:34 am »

I totally accept that and having read my OP I think I got a bit convoluted. I think what it is I am advocating is a return to the simpler times of the show when all we knew about the Doctor was that he was a traveler who regenerated and he traveled in his TARDIS. Then, let good story telling give us entertaining stories. Although I loved season 5, if you hadn't watched eps 1, 4 & 5 (at the minimum) then you would have had great difficulty with the final episode. Compare that to The Seeds of Death or even Genesis of the Daleks. Great stories that you can access straight away. Of course in a way I'm mixing apples and oranges - and probably confusing canon with in-season story arcs but it would be nice to have a few stories that were stand alone and didn't feed in to a wider arc/canon based approach.
Report Spam   Logged

The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 11:28:33 am »

I'm all for canon. Dont get me wrong, I dont mind it being changed, as long as it changes as part of a wider story so that it doesnt nulify what we have learned before. A lot of shows rewrite their history without so much as a mention and we are just supposed to accept that things are new. The regens for example, have been set at 12 ofr 30 odd years. I dont mind them changing that rule, as long as we are told that the rules are changing instead of them just bringing in the 14th Doctor as if it was always going to happen. Im just using regens as an example, but im sure you get what I mean.

As for series long, or multiple series arc, I can do without. I like the story by story format where every episode was an adventure. I loved series 5, but could have done without all the cracks and nonsense. RTD did series arcs to a degree, but stickign the words Bad Wolf or Torchwood around didnt take away from the rest of the episodes and what was going on. It was subtle but obvious.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:52 pm »

I dont mind them changing that rule, as long as we are told that the rules are changing.

I am a newbie as you know, but I have respect for canon.  Having said that, I agree with the above: go ahead and change the rules so long as you tell us they are changing.  I would also like to know why they are changing, but I understand that they can't or won't always do that.

Also - as a result of the Big Bang 2, aren't we now at a place where the universe was re-booted?  Whose to say that when Big Bang 2 happened everything that happened with the first Big Bang happened again?  History could easily have been altered which means that the slate may have been wiped clean.  They now have the ability, if they want, to explain any changes as as due to Big Bang 2.  Only time will tell if they do it though!
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 01:17:31 pm »

Well Moffat has already said that now that BB" has happened, its a way for them to go and change what they like and can always just say 'Well it changed because of BB2', but I think that is lazy personally
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:28 pm »

Well Moffat has already said that now that BB" has happened, its a way for them to go and change what they like and can always just say 'Well it changed because of BB2', but I think that is lazy personally

Oh - I never said it wasn't lazy.  It's totally lazy! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 03:57:01 pm »

I wonder if this Doctor, brought back by Amy, is technically in a 'first' body again? After all, he ceased to exist entirely for a while. Could be a stopgap for the limited regenerations rule.
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 08:47:06 pm »

I wonder if this Doctor, brought back by Amy, is technically in a 'first' body again? After all, he ceased to exist entirely for a while. Could be a stopgap for the limited regenerations rule.

I know the regen limit is covered now, but if Amy's memory rebooted his regens I would have been really dissapointed.

I am all for canon. I love how the history has built up over the years. I hate though that it seems Moff will just do what he likes regardless of the history. I wouldnt mind so much but from his previous comments it seems he wants to change things for the sake of changing them and not because they need to be or would make the show better
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 12:43:31 am »

I like having canon too, but it's always been a bit flexible.  The Doctor's age, for instance, has varied from 450 to 749 to 900 to "thousands of years" without much rhyme or reason.  The regens too have changed quite a bit.  Originally, it was something the Tardis did when the Doctor's body got worn out, but there was no suggestion it happened after a traumatic death - in The War Games, no-one seemed to expect the War Chief to regenerate after he was shot (not that he'd have stood much chance if he did).  I believe the maximum number of regens was first set at seven, then changed to thirteen in Mawdryn Undead.

I agree that there's no reason why we can't have a Fourteenth Doctor, but there needs to be a reason for it.  Perhaps the Time War has changed things.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:01:39 pm »

I would say after the non commital comment in SJA that it will be dealt with further nearer the time. I would guess that you are probably right and it has something to do with the Time War
Report Spam   Logged

Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:56:14 pm »

I'm firmly in the 'for' camp for canon. I love the history of the show and I love when it is referenced in the new series. I'm not saying it should get in the way of a great story and I am not against making small tweaks to things, but huge rewrites are a bit much.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: