The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 12:10:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Dislike for Rose Tyler!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dislike for Rose Tyler!  (Read 1562 times)
RiverandTheDoctor
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Tenth Doctor
Favourite Companion: River Song

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Topic Starter Level 1 10 Posts
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:53:15 pm »

I loathe Rose Tyler!!

I have vehement hatred for her.

She is singlehandedly the WORST character on NuWho. It's like RTD took a stroll through the Barbie aisle and was suddenly inspired to create Rose Tyler: white, blonde, girly, and pink obsessed. She's walking, talking plastic. (It's rather fitting that's what her introductory episode was all about.) Rose is extremely cliche and is written to conform to outdated gender roles. She's RTD's ideal "feminine woman" in contrast to The Doctor's ideal "masculinity." It's appalling. Worse still is the selfish way she acts. She got progressively worse since she was introduced. Her highest point was the moment in "Dalek" when she stopped The Doctor for murdering the Dalek, but she quickly went downhill at terminal velocity. She really started to realize she could use and manipulate The Doctor in "Father's Day" and since she was the first thing that he'd locked onto since the Time War, she was like a security blanket. He didn't really love her, but like drugs or nostalgia, he couldn't let her go. She realized this and instead of making him better and more grounded as companions usually do, she began to become nastier and more greedy. The way they treated Mickey was abhorrent.

I'm a firm believe that Rose never loved The Doctor. It's quite clear she was only addicted to the life he could give her, addicted like drugs to the adventures and the freedoms that were not her humdrum shop girl existence who was still living with her mother. She also loved her power to manipulate and get her way, because of The Doctor's mutual security blanket addiction to her. It was a sickly co-dependent relationship. I was so happy when she got sucked off in "Doomsday." But the way The Doctor acted afterwards by treating Martha like feces was disgusting. Another testament to how bad Rose was for him was the way he was perfectly fine with killing the Racnoss and her innocent children in "The Runaway Bride," which was why Donna refused to travel with him. Rose went from stopping him from doing horrible things in "Dalek" to giddily bragging about killing the Dalek Emperor in "Doomsday." They rubbed off on one another, making each other selfish and heartless. You can see the good Martha did in "Partners in Crime," when Donna comments on how he's changed and wouldn't even think of killing the baby Adipose, despite how cruelly he treated Martha because of Rose. I was horrified by her cameos in season four and dreaded her appearance in "Journey's End" and rightfully so.

I'm so glad Steven Moffat has steered the show away from bloody Rose Tyler! It was refreshing to see that she wasn't mentioned at all in season five. Thank goodness! I will be thrilled if I never see her on DW again!

As a woman, the portrayal of her character is extremely offensive. There are people who look up to fictional characters and use them as role models and I cringe at the idea of Rose being used as any kind of role model. She tells people that girls and women need a man to make their lives good and that they have to act like and look like the stereotypical "Barbie woman" to get the best man, then in order to keep him you have to be nasty, manipulative, and cruel.

I refuse to drink that Kool-Aid.
Report Spam   Logged
TardisGal
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams

View Profile
Level 1 First Post
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:15:37 am »

Thank you! I am a new Whovian, just came into the fold with Matt Smith. But I have watched 2 seasons with Tennant, and I can barely stand Rose. The character seems like a spoiled brat, I can't put my finger on it. There is something very unlikeable about her and it permeates the scenes in Donna's year when she is there. and here is the odd thing - I like Billie Piper! So go figure...now I have yet to see the 9th Doctor series with Rose, perhaps I will see her differently from the beginning. But right now? I do not like the character one bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:46:12 am »

Series 1 Rose, in my opinion, is far better than Series 2 Rose, so you might like her more if you watch that.
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Green_Lemons
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:42:59 pm »

Rose just drove me insane! I didn't connect with her whatsoever!
Report Spam   Logged

Courage
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »

I'm beginning to think Rose doesn't have any fans anymore.
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »

I'm beginning to think Rose doesn't have any fans anymore.

*coughs* I loved her in both S1 and S2 Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

Well that's good at least. Though I think it's against the law to say that in here Grin
Report Spam   Logged
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »

I was thinking- I post this on fear of death
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: