The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 19, 2024, 11:36:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Follow our Facebook group, or check out the Doctor Who News site by hitting the links below

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Turning Off Casual Viewers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning Off Casual Viewers  (Read 212 times)
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:16:05 pm »

Based on a conversation I had with Chris earlier, and some of the recent press reports, now that we have seen both parts of this story, do you think it will have deterred casual viewers from tuning in again? Not because its too confusing a plot, but because its too wrapped up in its own backstory that people might not have a clue whats going on.
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »

Whether big or small, Doctor Who is always referencing something or making little in-jokes. The story was easy enough to follow so I don't see why it should turn off the casual viewer any more than any other episode would
Report Spam   Logged

thefifthdoctor
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Fifth
Favourite Companion: Peri

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:57:14 pm »

I think the ratings will speak for themselves, to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »

I think the ratings will speak for themselves, to be honest.

I don't know. Its been another decent day and its a bank holiday. Ratings might be pretty low anyways regardless of how much the casual viewer enjoyed it or not. I think we won't know the answer really until later on in the series when there is more of a week to week trend
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:08:50 am »

I loved this episode. I loved that we had a lot of things to decide for ourselves. I loved the ambiguity in the story telling. This was Doctor Who for grown ups (and mature children).

My fear is this: will Joe Public, who likes a bit of Daleks and Dr Who but doesn't know much about the rest of it, have any real idea what has just gone on? This is Bank Holiday weekend and the show we just saw had lots of very specific reference (will everyone watching know what a regeneration looks like - we do but will Aunty Dot?). What if this is my first season and they are making reference to things that happened last season. I might think 'is it going to be like this every week?' Should we not, instead, have had a couple of stand alone, easy hits (A la Blink or Vampires of Venice) just to get people watching rather than the magical, sprawling, sci-fi epic that we just had?

Part of me thinks 'Screw it, I'm getting some of the best sci-fi i've ever seen. Sod Joe Public.' But part of me thinks 'Actually, lets build up the audience and then hit them with this.'

This isn't Victor speaking, I promise! I just wondered if this was the way to go first up?

Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 12:24:44 am »

I am with Chris on this. Its a brilliant story and a brilliant opener, but how awesome would this have been mid series? The mid series 2 parters are often weaker and this would have strengthened the midsection no end. It also would have given the casual viewer more chance to get up to speed and see the different things the Doctor and the show can do
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:06:43 pm »

I think last weeks ratings speak for themselves. People actively went looking to view it in other ways and the final figure saw a huge boost. Add to that the fact that the show is getting very high AIs from the general audience and I think it proves that the casual viewer can and will still tune in and get up to speed
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 12:13:47 pm »

I'm perhaps being a bit mean here, but I think if the casual viewer is having trouble keeping up with the show then perhaps they are best off watching CBeebies. I know that sometimes there are confusing bits and bits that are unexplained so we don't understand them, but the general plot of the opening two parter was very straightforward so anyone paying the blindest bit of notice should have had no problem keeping up.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: