The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 12:05:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What did your family/friends think?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What did your family/friends think?  (Read 297 times)
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:33:24 pm »

So, like the thread last week in the other section, did you watch with any non fans and what did they think?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:12 pm »

My friend was a bit lost but thought it was a great episode. I don't know if she is converted, but as long as I keep providing wine she will keep coming over to watch Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »

I had my mate chatting to me online afterwards and he thought it was great. He is slowly buying into the show and starting to appreciate it a lot more. He had a few questions about stuff referenced from previous episodes but on the whole he kept up and enjoyed it
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Twisted-Sister
Faithful Companion

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:26:51 pm »

One of my girlfriends was totally lost, but she isnt the brightest spark in fairness, so I wouldnt say its a reflection on the show
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:28:56 am »

I forced my husband to watch TIA first, and then he watched Day of the Moon with me. He chuckled a few times through the episode, and was engaged.  After, I asked what he thought and he responded 'it was good'.  A man of many words Smiley

On the flip side, my good friend sent me a txt right after that said only 'holy ****' (I typed those *'s myself)  She then proceeded to dissect the episode via txt so that made me happy. 
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 04:29:20 pm »

On the flip side, my good friend sent me a txt right after that said only 'holy ****' (I typed those *'s myself)  She then proceeded to dissect the episode via txt so that made me happy. 

I had a long text discussion with my friend (he loves DW btw) last week & look forward to doing it again this week at some point  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:51 pm »

My friend from last week liked it enough to set the 'series link' on Sky Plus so it was on her box and she watched it this morning. I shall give you some of her texts...

'Cor this is scary for kids isn't it?'

'Why did Silence say they honoured Amy?' (a very good question I should say)

'The was some ending'

'Matt Smith and Mark Shepperd were cool'

'I'll watch next week'

I would say we have ourselves a convert Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Amuro
Easily Exterminated
Favourite Doctor: 11th
Favourite Companion: Romana

Space Gandalf

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:38:17 am »

A friend of mine who laughed at the very thought of watching Doctor Who, thinking it was rubbish and 'for kids', has actually been converted by this. I am stunned! He has seen a few episodes of Tennant era and thought they were embarrassingly bad (planet of the Ood was one of them, so I tend to agree). He saw Day of the Moon, without seeing part one, and loved it. Said it wasn't hard to follow at all as the 'previously' gave the key points and he said everything else was made very clear (the only thing he didn't understand was the Doctor and Rory's 'Roman' conversation, but said that didn't bother him as he just assumed it was something that happened in an old episode).

I think his reaction really counters a lot of the critical responses. Hard to follow? He fully followed the second half, without watching the first or ever watching full episodes of the show in the past. He was won over because the show now has an brilliant tone, which bridges complex and dramatic plot lines with very witty humour. Personally, before Moff took over only some episodes managed this tone, while most just came across as farcical.
Report Spam   Logged

"After a while, everything is just stuff! That's the problem, you make the whole of space and time your backyard, and what do you have? A backyard. But you, you can see it. And when you see it, I see it."
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 05:13:26 pm »

When I did the re-watch with Hannah the other day my mum was in the room because she was helping me out with something else I was doing. She actually watched it even though she hadn't seen TIA, any new Who - though she has seen the 2 Doctor eps of SJA - or much Classic Who (it was the show her brother used to insist on watching beforehand, then disappear behind the sofa while it was on - the family as a whole soon gave up on it). When it finished I asked her if she had been able to follow it. She replied 'Of course' then proceeded to talk to me about it asking me a few questions, though nothing major. I came quickly to the conclusion that my mum had indeed been able to follow the plot, even though she was without the whole back story.

She watched The Eleventh Hour today & I could tell from the look on her face she was loving it. Convert I think  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 06:03:24 pm »

So will she be tuning in this evening too?
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:09 pm »

Nope she's watching Harry Potter. First viewing is all mine as she talks, she can't stop herself.

Think she's going to be content with enjoying S5 for now.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: