The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 06:22:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote in the Classic Episode Battles in The Invasion of Time

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Why now?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why now?  (Read 282 times)
Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »

The silents have been around since 'the wheel and fire', so why now? Why suddenly are they going to war with us? I know there was some mention of the space programme, but if they really are manipulating humans and are some big old out of space awesomeness with their own TARDIS, then why didnt they speed us along so that we had the knowledge and capabilities centuries ago.

Am I looking too deep with this, or did I overlook the reason in the actual episode?
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:12:20 pm »

No, its actually a really good point. I think though that its probably a case of 'it just is' and it will go no deeper. Perhaps I am wrong though
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

missadric2
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Peter Davison
Favourite Companion: Adric/ Amy Pond

Imagination is the key to Everything

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 3
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:16:24 pm »

Well why not now?Huh? Do you know what I mean?Huh? Look at WW2 etc why did they occur then?Huh? It might not go any further into it I don't think it will
Report Spam   Logged

'An apple a day keeps the.....oh never mind!' - fifth Doctor

The 5th Doctor will always have a special place in my heart and will always be MY Doctor

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:22:36 pm »

Well thats not really a good analogy. WWII happened when it did because thats when Hitler went on his crusade through Europe. He hadnt been sitting in the background of humanity for millenia using humans as puppets.
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 09:52:07 pm »

I agree with TDD. Its totally different. Though other than that I have no idea 'why now'
Report Spam   Logged

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 10:07:43 pm »

I have thoughts - they are pretty ill formed and might be incorrect. However...

1) Firstly, I think this is an excellent OP - because when you try to think about it, pinning down how the Silence actually cropped up is not easy.

2) The Silence weren't actually at war in this episode, they were quite happily sitting there leaching off Humanity. It was only when Amy started seeing them and then the Doc tried to track down the Child that the Silence emerged. It was the Doctor and his chums that went to war against the Silence.

3) This of itself begs a number of questions;

i) What did the Doctor dying have to do with the price of fish?
ii) Why could only Amy see the silence
iii) Considering they rip the Universe open, blow up the TARDIS and cause an alliance of the biggest baddies, The Silence were fairly passive. Supposing they are parasites - are we expected to believe they orchestrated the moon landing simply for a Space Suit?
iv) Can the Silence travel in time?
v) What with the little girl in the Space Suit and why did the Silence build it?

I haven't been a lot of help here have I?
Report Spam   Logged

Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 10:23:43 pm »

You raise some good points. There is also some stuff I want to argue with.

2) The Silence weren't actually at war in this episode, they were quite happily sitting there leaching off Humanity. It was only when Amy started seeing them and then the Doc tried to track down the Child that the Silence emerged. It was the Doctor and his chums that went to war against the Silence.

But why? Why is it now that people were suddenly seeing them? I know that the Doctor sort of picked the fight, but they started it (I am fully aware I sound like an 8 year old right now Tongue) They were after the girl in the suit, who then connected with Nixon, who the Doctor was helping.

(thought when I think about it, how the hell did they all get involved anyway? The story doesnt have a start point and I only just realised.

3) This of itself begs a number of questions;

i) What did the Doctor dying have to do with the price of fish?

Very good point! So far it means nothing and I suddenly realised makes no sense.

I thought they could all see them?

iii) Considering they rip the Universe open, blow up the TARDIS and cause an alliance of the biggest baddies, The Silence were fairly passive. Supposing they are parasites - are we expected to believe they orchestrated the moon landing simply for a Space Suit?

I don't think the stuff relating to TBB/TARDIS/ALLIANCE etc is the same thing. I have a feeling that the voice in the TARDIS from TBB was the one who instigated all that, and its something else I think.

I don't know, but would they need to?

v) What with the little girl in the Space Suit and why did the Silence build it?

More to the point, if she is now out of it and regenerated, who is in it in the future and why kill the Doctor?

Nope, but its been fun and you've opened loads of potential theories and thoughts Cheesy Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »

See, we are fans but we are not unobservant Smiley Following your cross examination, P-P i have some follow ups... Smiley

First, I think we are all agreed that finding a starting point for The Silence is tricky when you start thinking about it. Either this is deliberate or just a happy accident. I don't think this ambiguity in any way detracts from the story - it's just interesting that he told the story this way. But if he did it deliberately, is there more of this story to be told?

I thought they could all see them?

This is poor phrasing on my part. I meant right at the start of TIA, the way it was introduced to us, it was only Amy who could see them on the cliff. And also in the White House Loo scene, why did the Silence choose to interact with her? Then in DOTM, it was Amy who was kidnapped - Amy seemed to have a special connection to The Silence. What is it I wonder?

I don't think the stuff relating to TBB/TARDIS/ALLIANCE etc is the same thing. I have a feeling that the voice in the TARDIS from TBB was the one who instigated all that, and its something else I think.

See I thought this was The Silence that was mentioned last season? We even got a clip of Rory and the Doc from last season? I might be wrong on this (as with so much lol)  Undecided

I don't know, but would they need to?

My thinking on this was that they had a TARDIS (or equivalent) under the warehouse, similar to the one in s5 The Lodger. So if they do have a time ship then this begs a whole different series of questions (I'm going to get my proto-Timelords theory out soon Wink)

Nope, but its been fun and you've opened loads of potential theories and thoughts Cheesy Tongue

It really has been fun Smiley This has been such an amazing couple of stories. I don't think any Doctor Who has quite got me like this Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

I dont have anyone to quote, and I also don't know how to do it as cool looking as you two did it, but I am going to stick my Rory sized beak in to add some stuff.

Firstly, PP raises a good point. Why are they all involved anyway? We still don't know why they specifically had to find Canton, or why they got involved in the first place. There isnt really a start to the story from say. They know they have been summoned there to watch the Doctor die, but that seemingly has nothing to do with the actual presidential mission as far as I can see.

As for Chris' comment about Amy seeing them, she seems to be linked to everything, doesnt she. The Dream Lord targeted her, the Silents and [spoiler]she is apparantly VERY important to the Cybers in a later episode who want her to remain unharmed[/spoiler]. Its starting to feel a bit like when everything was connected to Donna.

I was under the same impression as PP with the voice in the TARDIS. I thought that was something else entirely.

I think the fact that the Silence have some sort of TARDIS will be very important later. Especially give then fact that all this happened in 69, yet Amy saw one on the beach in 2011.

And thats about it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord

Rory FTW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:44 am »

Ooh, also, I think this means we will probably see Canton again due to the fact that for some reason, the Doctor wants Canton to watch him die, but yet hasnt yet asked him to bring the gas etc
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 12:51:49 am »

I agree about it being centred around Amy. That whole thing in the bathroom is the clincher for me. Why did it kill Joy and not Amy? (Why did it kill Joy at all is another one of my questions). I know it wanted Amy to pass on a message, but it obviously knew that the Doctor and Amy were a threat so it could have just killed her there and then and be done with it. For whatever reason, it decided to let her live. The same goes for kidnapping her. They told her she had been in that chair for days (which didnt make sense as from the Doctor and Rory's point of view, she hadnt), so why not just kill her instead of keeping her there like a beacon for the Doctor?
Report Spam   Logged

sailorjerry
Hatchling

Favourite Companion: Rose

View Profile
Level 1 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 07:04:41 am »

They told her she had been in that chair for days (which didnt make sense as from the Doctor and Rory's point of view, she hadn't)

There do seem to be a few gaps here. The picture of Amy with a child that she doesn't remember, Amy's time spent in captivity, Rory not remembering portions of his 2000 years as the centurion, etc. Maybe we have no idea how much influence the Silence has had or how much they have been making the heroes forget.
Report Spam   Logged
Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 04:51:23 pm »

They told her she had been in that chair for days (which didnt make sense as from the Doctor and Rory's point of view, she hadn't)

There do seem to be a few gaps here. The picture of Amy with a child that she doesn't remember, Amy's time spent in captivity, Rory not remembering portions of his 2000 years as the centurion, etc. Maybe we have no idea how much influence the Silence has had or how much they have been making the heroes forget.

From that perspective, perhaps its wasn't three months between episodes. It could have been a lot longer and Amy could have had the baby by the time we see them again in episode 2, but had the memory removed
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: