The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 19, 2024, 11:48:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join The Infinite Quest - This Week's Story: Black Orchid

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Musicals

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Musicals  (Read 1231 times)
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary 2500 Posts Super Poster 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 10:02:15 am »

Also have a soft spot for Defying Gravity from Wicked.

That's my favourite song ever. Played over 3000 times on iTunes... *whistles innocently*

WHAT? =P My most played musical song is 'At the End of the Day' Les Mis Tongue
Haha, yeah I get a bit excessive when it comes to overplaying songs.

ATEOTD is awesome in Les Mis, but my favourite from that is probably One Day More
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
Theta Sigma
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Seventh
Favourite Companion: Tegan

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 05:11:55 am »

The Producers, Evita, Fiddler on the Roof, and Mary Poppins. Quite a diverse group!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

"There's something new in you, yet something older than the sky itself. I sense that I can trust you."
The Guardian
Hatchling

Favourite Doctor: Matt Smith
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile
Topic Starter Multiple Badge Holder Level 2
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:08 am »

Oh a thread I'll like! Wink

I've been in a youth music theatre for around 6/7 year now. So did about 14/15 shows.

Performed in Big, Seussical, Joseph(x2), Fame, Oliver, Les Misérables (school edition), Hairspray, the Wizard of Oz and most recently just finished Billy Elliot, but we are going to down to the West End to perform as part of the Billy Youth program and we've performed Once We Were Kings at the Billy Youth Gala at Sunderland Empire theatre back in May. We're getting ready to start auditions for Peter Pan - A Musical Adventure by Stiles and Drewe.

Musicals I've seen on stage (professional) :We Will Rock You, Cats, Joseph, Beauty and the Beast, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Hairspray, Wicked, Lord of the Rings, Oliver, Sister Act, The Lion King and High School Musical. Going to see Shrek and Ghost in August and going to see Legally Blonde on tour with my sister.

Musicals I've seen on stage (amateur/schools) :Once on this Island, Guys & Dolls, Summer Holidays, Brigadoon, Grease, Annie, Into the Woods, Jekyll and Hyde, Rent. Think there might be others...

I've been in Pineapple Studios thrice with the youth music theatre I'm in. We've been taught "Take me to Heaven (reprise)" dance by Ivan De Freitas. (One of the goons in Sister Act, going to be in Ghost) and the song One by One by a member of the Lion King. Oh and You Can't Stop the Beat from a member of Hairspray. Saw Louie Spence when I was down. He is not camp in real life.

My favourite musicals have to be Sweeney Todd, We Will Rock You, Shrek, Avenue Q, Rent, Les Misérables and others.

Just noticed how long this post is. I tell you for a 16 year old it's not bad the stuff I've done!

Report Spam   Logged

Kovarians-Eye-Patch
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Companion: Martha Jones

View Profile
Search One year Anniversary Level 4
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »

I went to watch Wicked for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It was brilliant. I'm not a huge fan of musicals and theatre but I had an awesome time.
Report Spam   Logged
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 12:35:49 am »

I went to watch Wicked for the first time about 3 weeks ago. It was brilliant. I'm not a huge fan of musicals and theatre but I had an awesome time.

Excellent! I love it Smiley

Last night I went to see Les Miserables - it was fantastic Cheesy It was my second time, but I first saw it when I was really young so couldn't remember a great deal. I got a(nother) picture with my favourite actress (Alexia Khadime who used to play Elphaba in Wicked) so I was thrilled.
Report Spam   Logged

TV Addict|Lost|Grey's Anatomy|Parks & Rec|Game of Thrones|Community|Cougar Town|Doctor Who|Member of the Month Nov 2011
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies
Favourite Doctor: 11 & 5
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond & Nyssa

"Fish fingers and custard..."

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary 10000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 08:52:23 pm »

Excellent! I love it Smiley

Last night I went to see Les Miserables - it was fantastic Cheesy It was my second time, but I first saw it when I was really young so couldn't remember a great deal. I got a(nother) picture with my favourite actress (Alexia Khadime who used to play Elphaba in Wicked) so I was thrilled.

Wicked is absolutely amazing! And I saw Lee Mead in it... yum Tongue

Les Miserables is soooooooo good! Cannot wait to go see it again for my birthday!
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 12:48:28 pm »

I watched a musical last week from the 50's called Summer Stock which features Judy Garland and Gene Kelly and it was excellent. Easily became one of my favourites. I'd never even heard of it before but it had quite a few songs in it that I recognised, like Get Happy. Well worth a watch.
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Peri-Peri
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Five
Favourite Companion: Peri

Circular logic will only make you dizzy, Doctor

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 06:49:03 pm »

I watched a musical last week from the 50's called Summer Stock which features Judy Garland and Gene Kelly and it was excellent. Easily became one of my favourites. I'd never even heard of it before but it had quite a few songs in it that I recognised, like Get Happy. Well worth a watch.

I love that film! When I was about 19 me and two other friends dressed up in Judy's outfit from the Get Happy scene for a musical themed fancy dress party.

And Gene Kelly was sooo bloody gorgeous back in the day!!
Report Spam   Logged

It eats you, starting with your bottom

Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

My friend and I are putting together a trip over to the UK in the summer. We are going to Cardiff to see the DW Exhibition but we also want to see a show in London. Dublin doesn't really have much of a theatre scene and definately doesn't have the type of shows they stage in London, so I want some recommendations of what to see. I really wanted to see Legally Blonde or Wicked, but I read today Legally Blonde is closing so that's probably out of the question. I'd also love to see The Lion King, but I couldn't see that so I guess it's not running now either. Wicked is a strong contender though because I love the books and some of the songs I know already. Any other ideas though?
Report Spam   Logged

TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »

Lion King is still on at the Lyceum until at least September, Wizard of Oz, Mamma Mia, Wicked, Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Billy Elliot... They're the main ones in London at the moment and are all on in the Summer...

Look here at all the ones on in London at the moment Smiley http://www.seetickets.com/theatre-tickets/198/MUSICAL   and here  http://www.seetickets.com/theatre-tickets/199/MUSICAL-COMEDY<- And I'd book through there too if you can, apart from Les Miserables, which you're better off to do though the Les Miserables website because they sell the majority of the tickets themselves...

Wicked, Legally Blonde and the Lion king are all supposed to be showing until at least September...

I've seen all of those (apart from Wizard of Oz which I'm going to next week) and in rank I'd put (1 being best)
1. Les Miserables
2. Billy Elliot
3. Mamma Mia
4. Wicked
5. Phantom of the Opera
6. Lion King

My favourite is Les Miserables, but I wouldn't suggest that unless you kind of know the story, and it is LOOOONNNNGGGG if you don't enjoy it (seen that one 3 times)! Billy Elliot was amazing too, I saw that on Broadway as well as here (their attempts at a Newcastle accent in America weren't brilliant though) but it's just brilliant (seen that 3 times too!  Shocked). Mamma Mia... BRILLIANT! A bit different to the film, but good different, it is actually really simple and catchy, saw that on Broadway as well as here. Wicked, now I'm sure Joshua will disagree with me, but I personally think Wicked is really quite overrated! I've seen it twice now, admittedly the second time was only so that I could see Lee Mead in it and because my friend had a buy one get one free ticket... It's a massive theatre, and it is really quite expensive. It is really long too, but it is a good watch if you're desperate to see it!  Phantom of the Opera is AMAZING as well, I remember actually feeling terrified in the first 5 minutes because of the music, but it's an amazing musical, (which when I was there had all the Japanese tourists there) but if you don't appreciate opera then I wouldn't suggest going to that! Finally the Lion King, I went a long while ago so I don't remember that much, but I've heard some great things about it, and it is really clever! Also Legally Blonde, that is supposed to be very very good too... All I know is that Lee Mead was in it, but they constantly seem to be doing offers for it like half price on the top price seats.

Another option is to do what I did in Broadway and just go to the "tkts" stand in Leicester Square (I think thats where it is) but there are various places around London (not sure how many are official) where you can go and get last minute tickets for West End shows for usually half price, and that's good if you're not *that* fussy  on what you want to see... Although, if you're coming in the summer I wouldn't suggest doing that so much, because you have kids week over August where kids go free to theatre shows with an adult and they sell out quickly, and with the Olympics too, I reckon all the well known shows Phantom of the Opera, Les Mis, Mamma Mia, Lion King, Wicked will probably be packed of tourists and be sold out...

Well I hope that helps and I haven't just ranted and rambled on about anything and everything... Let us know if you want more help! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"All of time and space; everything that ever happened or ever will…Where do you want to start?"
Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 06:47:52 pm »

Lol, having seen Wicked 8 times I do indeed disagree with Hannah! If you want a great feel-good show that's very funny and light-hearted, pick Wicked.

And actually, Wicked has some of the cheapest tickets compared to all the other shows - being right on the edge of the stalls still gives a near-perfect view, and it's less than £20.

If you want a long, emotionally charged and slightly sad but ultimately fantastic show (what a mouthful), pick Les Miserables.

If you want a love story with more operatic themes, pick The Phantom of the Opera. I've seen both this and Les Miserables twice!

I haven't seen Mamma Mia or Billy Elliot, though I don't like the films so I won't be seeing them. Legally Blonde will indeed be closed. Wizard of Oz is meant to be excellent though!

As for The Lion King, I enjoyed it as a production, but the songs aren't good enough for me to call it a 'musical', silly as that might sound.

So yeah, I would recommend Wicked, Les Miserables or Phantom of the Opera Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:07 pm »

Actually that's true, don't go for seats right at the top but if you get ones at the side they generally are cheaper...

Also on See tickets Legally Blonde is showing as playing 31 Jan 2012 to 27 Oct 2012

I only say I don't really like Wicked, because I had no idea what was going on the first time I went to see it! But I guess if you know the story line it isn't so confusing!

I'd recommend though either: Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Billy Elliot or Mamma Mia... Completely depends what you're looking for though!
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2012, 10:07:06 am »

I personally found Les Mis harder to follow than Wicked.

Also... Defying Gravity? Like... the most amazing thing Cheesy hehe.

I know that Legally Blonde is showing in my local theatre in July, so it may be finishing in London, but you could see it elsewhere in UK if you wanted to?
Report Spam   Logged

Roranicus
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Rory

Rory FTW

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2012, 11:31:04 pm »

You're all making me want to go see a show now. It's been so long since I have. I might look into it myself.
Report Spam   Logged

Oh my god Karen, you can't just ask someone why they're white!
hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »

Oooh you should, just listening to the music always makes me want to go and see them!!!
Report Spam   Logged

hannahcole93
Global Moderator
Master Of Galaxies

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2012, 01:56:16 pm »

Next week I'll be able to tell you all about Wizard of Oz Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:30 pm »

I also forgot Chicago, which I saw in December! If you enjoy the film, you'll enjoy the show! It's about sex, debauchery, fame, or rather, infamy. Another good one.

But I'd still recommend the other 3 more Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »

The last one I saw was We Will Rock You I think - it is good, but only really if you like Queen's music.

My mum went to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert a little while ago & she absolutely raved about it.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Tardis-Console
Timelord

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:10 pm »

Oh wow, thats grand. Thanks guys Smiley

I'll show this to my friend and see what we can agree on. Another one we fancied is Little Shop. Is it still running and is it good? That's one of my favourites.
Report Spam   Logged

Joshua
Global Moderator
Timelord

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »

Can't say I've heard of Little Shop.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: