The Doctor In The TARDIS
March 28, 2024, 07:44:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Head over to 76 Totters Lane and check out all the latest merchandise

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

What was your first sci-fi?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was your first sci-fi?  (Read 208 times)
Seren_y_Gogledd
Easily Exterminated

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 3 Second year Anniversary Topic Starter
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »

I'm guessing most people here are into other speculative fiction, not just DW, so what first got you into it? My first series was The X Files. Saw it when I was about 13 and got hooked, and carried on even when it stopped being popular (wasn't fun avoiding spoilers from people who'd seen it on Sky, though!)
Report Spam   Logged

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron, Final Fantasy X
Dame Roger
TARDIS Traveller
Favourite Doctor: Second
Favourite Companion: Ace

View Profile
Search Windows User Poll Voter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »

That would have to be Doctor Who. And no, I'm not really into any other sci-fi shows, unless you count Red Dwarf, which I've always thought of more as a sitcom. Quite like the original Star Trek, but that's about it.
Report Spam   Logged

"I'm reversing the jelly baby of the neutron flow."
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:52:08 pm »

Aside from DW? I would have to say Star Trek ( original series )  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
poprockgeek
Global Moderator
Destroyer Of Worlds
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: The Ponds

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:43:33 am »

I'm thinking my first experience of Sci Fi probably came in the form of a film that was released the same year I was born - Star Wars. That was the first thing that sprang to mind. But if it wasn't that it was almost definitely a film rather than a TV series.
Report Spam   Logged

"He is ever after only one thing: power. And also helmets with horns ... he's really into those."
Tardis-Console
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Amy

Say it. Everybody does!

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

I remember when I was younger watching the remake of The Tomorrow People and I really loved that. Not sure if that would count as my first SciFi though. And reruns of Quantum Leap Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

My Series 6 Ratings (so far):
TIA 10/10 | DOTM 10/10 | COTBS 8/10 | TDW 10/10 | TRF 9/10 | TAP 10/10 | AGMGTW 10/10 | LKH 8/10 | NT 4/10 | TGWW 10/10
Iceman
Global Moderator
Faithful Companion
Favourite Doctor: The Doctor
Favourite Companion: Captain Jack Harkness

Hey, it's me!

View Profile WWW
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 05:47:09 pm »

Mine was watching "Empire Strikes Back" when I was 4.

Been a Star Wars nerd ever since.
Report Spam   Logged

Twitter: http://twitter.com/Iceman525

What a bunch of a-holes.
MandyDuchovney
The Other Side Of Light
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 10
Favourite Companion: Donna

View Profile
Poll Starter Poll Voter Level 4
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:17:51 pm »

I remember when I was younger watching the remake of The Tomorrow People and I really loved that. Not sure if that would count as my first SciFi though. And reruns of Quantum Leap Cheesy

There was a remake of The Tomorrow People?Huh? Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Sarah Jane Smith: No.The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship. Everything has its time. And everything ends.
The Doc
Administrator
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: Donna Noble

@TardisSpoilers

View Profile WWW
Third year Anniversary Level 6 Super Poster 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:23:58 pm »

I remember that from the early 90's. It had a guy from Neighbours in it if I remember rightly. It was pretty much nothing like the original though
Report Spam   Logged

Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days, when the wind stands fair and The Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.

BlueRose

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »

I can't say what my first sci-fi was because I was raised on it. I played with Star Trek figurines, watched Mork from Ork, Star Wars, you name it. Look up the dates on the first and second Star Trek movies along with the dates for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

Probably Star Trek, I would guess. But it could've been Star Wars. I was what, three?
Report Spam   Logged
Sandiwich11
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: The Brig

View Profile WWW
Level 5 Third year Anniversary Windows User
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:29 am »

I don't remember not being a sci-fi geek thanks to my sci-fi obsessed mum lol.  The first fantasy film I can remember going to see at the cinema is The Water Babies, when I was about 5 I guess. 

I didn't get to see Star Wars until a couple of years later, when they showed it before Empire's release, although I had comics and figures from it already.  My brother played up so my Dad ended up leaving me in the cinema alone for most of the two films, I felt right grown up XD
Report Spam   Logged

One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.
professoryard
Hatchling

View Profile WWW
Poll Voter Level 3 Webmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:27:43 pm »

The first thing I remember is The Monster of Peladon when I was very small indeed, the next sci fi I remember seeing was the Star Trek episode Day of the Dove - I remember the Klingons with swords.
Report Spam   Logged

Somebody else wrote this then ran away...
PandoricaPond
RP Moderator
Tin Dog
Favourite Doctor: Ten/Eleven
Favourite Companion: Amy Pond

View Profile WWW
Windows User Poll Voter Level 3
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 06:56:37 pm »

Honestly? My first sci-fi was Doctor Who. I had shown a vague interest in Buffy & x-files but never watched them That's why I was wary about DW. It seemed like it was gonna be another lame space ship sci-fi show but I was proven VERY wrong. I've now watched as much of x-files as possible. All of Buffy/Angel. The star wars series. And I'm now trying to get into Quantum Leap & Star Trek. I've come very far since 2005 Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

#Doctor: Amy was frightened. I was frightened. But we survived, you know, and the relief of it... And so she kissed me. #Rory: And you kissed her back. #Doctor: No, I kissed her mouth. #Rory: Funny.

#Companions; DOCTOR!!!

#Doctor: RUN!!!

#Doctor: Bowties are cool.

#Doctor: Fezzes are cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: