The Doctor In The TARDIS
April 20, 2024, 02:56:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out all the spoilers from Series 7 in our dedicated spoiler section

Home Help Gallery Doctor Who News Facebook Group FAQ's Staff List Calendar Members Login Register  

Self Contained Stories

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self Contained Stories  (Read 118 times)
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:31:27 am »

Do you think that it is better to have self contained stories like we got with Black Spot this week or stories that although stand alone are part of a larger and longer playing story arc. In the past we have had things like Saxon and Bad Wolf which has run throughout the series, sometimes prominantly, but without interfering with the stories they are referenced in, wheras under Moffats rule a lot of the self contained stories have been substituted for stories which piece together or play a part in the larger overall story of the season. Which do you prefer?
Report Spam   Logged
Aneurin
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Companion: River

Formally River Song

View Profile
Level 6 Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 01:46:13 pm »

Without a doubt I prefer these types of stories. I would be happiest just having a series of non connected adventures with a big finale at the end but if we have to have some sort of running theme or arc then I would much prefer it to be a subtle one like the Bad Wolf example you gave. We all knew it was leading to something but it didnt overtake the story and it didnt make a difference if you missed it. I have enjoyed the series immensely since Moff took over, but I constantly feel like I have to be on guard throughout every story in case I miss something important. I just want to see them have adventures
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »

I'm with Aneurin. I don't particularly want long, drawn out and over complicated plots. Gimme a good adventure with a great story and some cool aliens and I am happy. I don't need to be on the constant lookout for clues throughout episode to make them all link together in a timey wimey plot. Doctor Who is at its best when we have the stand alone stories
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Saber
Timelord
Favourite Companion: Liz Shaw

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way
Report Spam   Logged
Vampyros Adric
Global Moderator
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: 4/6/7
Favourite Companion: Jo Grant

He is also vain, ego-centric and quite mad

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Mobile User Search
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »

I am very happy to associate myself with these comments Smiley I like a little trickle of a back story. Bad Wolf was perfect for me. You could watch the whole season without having any knowledge of Bad Wolf or what Bad Wolf meant and at the end you got a little bit of payback (even then, if you had joined just having watched Parting of the Ways you could understand).

But spare me from self referential, sprawling story arcs that mean if you miss an episode you are completely in the dark. 
Report Spam   Logged

chrissymarieb
Faithful Companion
Favourite Companion: Rory Williams and Donna Noble

View Profile
Search Apple User Poll Voter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 12:01:37 am »

But spare me from self referential, sprawling story arcs that mean if you miss an episode you are completely in the dark. 

I completely agree with this Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"It's smaller on the outside"
Nyki
Guardian Of Gallifrey
Favourite Doctor: Jon Pertwee
Favourite Companion: Leela

View Profile
Third year Anniversary 5000 Posts Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:32 am »

I'd be fine with an ocasional series that has a story arc, but not every time.  Like the classic series had Key to Time or Trial of a Time Lord, then went back to the one-off stories.  Though I agree that something like Bad Wolf works well.
Report Spam   Logged

Exterminate
Guardian Of Gallifrey

Do Not Blaspheme!

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Level 6
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

Yea, give me a long series of one off adventures and I will be happy. I don't need all this waiting for months to get answers business. They rarely used or needed it in the past and the show was still as popular, if not moreso, so we really don't need to be doing it now. As others have said its come to the point where if you miss and episode or two you will have no idea whats going on and I am constantly sitting there analysing everything in case I miss something important
Report Spam   Logged

TheDoctorDonna
Timelord
Favourite Doctor: Eleven/Two
Favourite Companion: Donna/Barbara

Whatchoo Lookin' At?

View Profile
Super Poster 50 Posts in one day Super Poster 25 Posts in one day Level 5
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:35:45 pm »

Yea, give me a long series of one off adventures and I will be happy. I don't need all this waiting for months to get answers business. They rarely used or needed it in the past and the show was still as popular, if not moreso, so we really don't need to be doing it now. As others have said its come to the point where if you miss and episode or two you will have no idea whats going on and I am constantly sitting there analysing everything in case I miss something important

Exactly, and that gets very frustrating very quickly. I also think that in the long term it is going to alienate people. I know I have sat down to TV shows that I am not overly familiar with and didnt understand all the 'in' references and so ended up switching off. The same has even gone for shows I am already a fan of but have missed some of the episodes. Not everyone is going to go looking for the episodes online to catch up when it is just as easy to turn it off, especially if you are just a casual viewer
Report Spam   Logged

One! One word! Shake, milk-shake, milk! Milk! No? Not milk! Um, shake, shake, shake! Cocktail shake! What, d'you want a Harvey Wallbanger?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: